News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

38 caddy Fuel Pump Pressure

Started by cadillac60, June 30, 2011, 11:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillac60

I am still dealing with my 38 caddy electric fuel pump problems. The carter electric fuel Pump (after been told was set at 4PSI) in fact is set at 5 3/4 PSI. I order a Summit pressure regulator which all information showed that is adjustabel from 3 to 12 PSI & good for gas/alcohol. NOT TRUE-- the instruction sheet shows 5 to 12 PSI. I have the option of returning it but I thought I would ask the question.  The mechanical fuel pump specs show 3 to 4 1/2 PSI for my car. Would this extra 1/2PSI casuse me any problems if in fact I had to use it in case of a mechanical fuel pump failure?

Bruce Watson

tralee@telus.net
Bruce Watson

Dave Shepherd

At 5 you may be on the edge of unseating the carb needle and seat, only time would tell.

CEC #20099

Bruce: You have a good issue. I have a 6V Carter Vane pump on a car with a Holley 4160 4 BBL. That Carter can pump a lot of gas, fast, thus easily flooding an engine, or causing a fire. I would suggest wiring a fixed resistance in series with the power feed, to drop the pump speed A SMALL AMOUNT, & then monitor fuel pressure @ the carb. Ceramic block coil resistors, or blower motor resistors would provide  a range of resistances, in the FEW OHM AREA , to try. The Carter is good, because the Chicago gas (worst in the nation) has not destroyed it yet. In this case, ditch the so-called pressure regulator.

Cheap to Try.  CEC #20099  c chleboun

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Bruce,

Not sure if you are running a Carter or Stromberg, but with my 37 LaSalle (Stromberg) I've run the Carter pump without the regulator for the last 10 years without any problems.

The viton needles ends can take a lot of pressure. if you want to be safe there are a lot of pressure regulators out there. You can even review my article in the SS that discusses this issue.

John W
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series