News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

WTB flathead transmission input shaft or tool

Started by stephen hill, February 06, 2012, 08:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephen hill

need to find a input shaft from a 1946 standard transmission or the tool  to align my new clutch thanks for any  help  steve hill #25502
stephen hill clc#25502

Steve Passmore

You can buy Clutch aline tools reasonably cheaply at most large tool stores or even on line.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

The Tassie Devil(le)

An easier way is to use a piece of dowel, the right size, and turn down the spigot end to fit.

The only time for an imput shaft is when dealing with multiple disk clutches where the splines have to be matched.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jim Stamper

I made one out of hardwood last winter for my 37 Cadillac coupe and it worked perfectly first time out. If you are a real worrier you can also take a piece of wood larger than the bell housing hole, drill a hole in the center of it the size of the dowel and glue it on in the appropriate spot on the the dowel shaft. Then chuck it up and turn the big piece down to fit the bell housing. You have a very stable disk mounter, as good as any bought spline.

Mine took about 20 minutes to make, less time than to go buy one.  I used my metal lathe, but a wood lathe would certainly do as well. With a bit of creative thinking a drill press could probably be made to work using coarse files.

Jim Stamper  CLC# 13470   

Jay Friedman

On a lathe, turn down a circular piece of wood about 1 foot long to the diameter of the innermost diameter of the clutch driven disc splines.  (You could probably use a piece sawn off the end of a wooden broomstick for raw material.) 

Measure the depth and the inner diameter of the pilot bearing at the end of the crankshaft.  Turn down a small portion of one end of the piece of wood to the depth and inner diameter of the pilot bearing and you have it. 

If you can't use or don't have access to a lathe, a wood working shop could do it for you. 

If all else fails, I have a spare input shaft I could lend you against shipping expenses, but I couldn't get to a post office for several days.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."