News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'72 CDV Electric Window Motor

Started by Gary Christensen CLC # 21112, November 05, 2022, 12:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Christensen CLC # 21112

Hi folks,

The passenger window on my '72 is in the down position and won't go up again.  I have confirmed that I have power to the electric motor from both the passenger's switch and the driver's switch.  The window lock feature is in the "regular"  position.

It makes no noise whatsoever when I use the switch.

The (super confusing) service manual for 1972 Fisher Bodies says that the electric window motor has an internal circuit breaker.  Maybe that's the problem?  But it says nothing about resetting that circuit breaker.

I figure I need to remove the motor.  The manual says to remove the motor I'm to select from one of several templates that will locate the window-motor-to-regulator attaching bolts by using window-regulator-to-door-inner-panel attaching bolts as reference points.  I'm supposed to align the template, dimple the door per the template and drill 3 0.75" holes through the inner door panel in order to access the bolts.  You've got to be kidding.

Anyway, I know which template I should use, but I do not see the window-regulator-to-door-inner-panel attaching points that I'm supposed to use as reference.  The door doesn't match the drawing as far as I can tell

I also can't get the window into the up position manually.  As far as I can tell it's stuck.  That means I can't even drive the car unless I want the window open all of the time.

Has anyone ever done this?  What do I align the template to?

Ideas?

I've attached pictures of the template and the actual door, but I don't know how they actually show up.  I think someone has to approve them

Help!!!

I figured out my question about the template.  I was looking at the wrong reference point (there are three I, II, III, each for a different GM car).  Anyway, before I actually do the task of cutting holes in the inner door, I'd sure love to hear from someone that has done this or that has a different idea!

Thanks.

Gary

TJ Hopland

I would have to look at a manual to know specifically but often times on windows with multiple switches the switches that are not in use have to have closed contacts to complete the circuit so just testing for power to ground at the motor may not be giving you a complete circuit.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Hi TJ,

I only found a reference to the counterbalance spring in the manual.  Do you know where it is attached?  I have felt around in the door but haven't located it.  At what point in the process are you suggesting that I put a clamp on it?  It seems impossible to imagine doing it in the little space inside the door.

I must be missing something.

Gary

TJ Hopland

The spring is typically a spiral wound spring wound around the pivot for the arm that actually operates the glass.   Its usually hidden behind the big gear that the motor or crank handle interacts with. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Gary Christensen CLC # 21112 on November 05, 2022, 12:28:23 PMThe (super confusing) service manual for 1972 Fisher Bodies says that the electric window motor has an internal circuit breaker.  Maybe that's the problem?  But it says nothing about resetting that circuit breaker.   
G'day Gary,

As for the Circuit Breaker, it is self re-setting.  As in when you stop the switch operating, the Circuit Breaker closes and is ready for the opposite movement.

These have a bi-metallic spring that as it heats up, bends one way, away from the contact.   Then, as it cools down, goes back to its closed position.

If it opens and does not close automatically, it is called a Fuse.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Thanks Bruce!  The motor is out and off for repair.

V63

Often the contacts at the motor plug get corroded. I would try forcing direct power to the motor terminals as a last resort. Also add a good ground at that time.

I understand the motor is out already, just a suggestion for the next time☺️