News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

New Cadillac Owner and first questions

Started by DeVille68, July 28, 2012, 11:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeVille68

Hello everybody

It's been a while. Have done some smaller things and started to see some smaller issues.
First of all my key blanket arrived - they are very cool. Look like original.
Then I found a complete set of Shop Manuals an Ebay. Original ones. That's great too.
Ordered some rubber from steele. Only the important ones for know. Will be a challenge fitting these.

Then I found some smaller things on the car that do not work.
Headlamp indicator for example, or illumination of the light switch. PCV Valve is also missing and the kick down switch is definitely missing and it is the wrong carburetor. It is from a 69 Eldorado.
But maybe the previous owner did something to replace the kick down switch, because it does go if you press the pedal hard. But I am not sure if it goes fast enough.

@Waterzap: Thanks for the tips on the books. That is a good idea. A least I have something to read in the evening!
Also found the fuses here in Europe. But not exactly the same rating, hope it works though.

Another question: My jack components are just laying around in the trunk. I could not figure out how to correctly store these things. Some parts, I think, should go up in a opening. But then there are still some left.
How do you store the jack components?
And how do you secure the space tire?

Also did some research on the shoulder belts. Will post my results soon.

Kind regards
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

DeVille68

I have another few questions regarding the lighting system of the Cadillac.

I have just repaired my trunk light and now I noticed that, according to the shop manual on page 12-65, I should have a "Glove Compartment Light". And in the bulb data chart on page 12-19 there is also a "ash tray - front" light mentioned.

Did the 68 Convertible have these two lights? And how do they look like? Does anyone have a picture? Or could anyone provide me with some pictures? Such that I am able to search for these items on ebay.

Next I found an under hood light on ebay. Did the 68 Convertible have this under hood light?
Could not find any reference in the shop manuals.

Thanks for your answers.

Kind regards

Roger Zimmermann

Nicolas, these two lamps are certainly standard on your car.
Regarding the under hood lamp: it was an accessory, installed by the dealer. Usually Cadillacs have no under hood lamp; the owner let do the various checks by the dealer or somebody else (when they were new...).
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

DeVille68

Thanks Roger

Just crawled again under the dash, but I have absolutely no idea how a light should fit inside the ash tray, or behind the ash tray. There are also no loose wires or mounting holes.
The same story with the clove box. I have no idea where to mount a light. But I found an open connector. Not sure if it is for the clove box light. Maybe for the remote trunk lock?

Would be great if someone could snap a picture of these two lights. Appreciate it.

Reference to Shop, Body or Parts List would also be helpful.

Kind regards

DeVille68

Hello everybody

It's again time for a small update.
First of all, I now have my new key that I had made out of the key blanket from ebay. They turned out great. Original again.
Then I tuned the carburetor a bit. Reduced the idle a bit. Runs better now and I do not have to step on the brakes in slow traffic.

After that, my order from steele rubber arrived. These rubbers look amazing. Started to replace the trunk, quarter window to windshield and convertible weatherstrips. These rubbers were in really bad shape. Now everything is soft again.
The weatherstripping for the convertible top are amazing and easy to install.
The trunk rubber however is not so easy, actually this one is very hard to install correctly. I may have to redo mine, because I could not force the rubber enough down into the groove. The result is that the gap between trunk lid and rear sheet metal is not as flush as it should be.

The next thing to do is to replace to door rubber.

Below are some pictures.

And finally I made my first big road trip from central Switzerland to the very south of the Tessin. About 330 miles. The first day was rainy but also very interesting, since no other cars were on the road and we experienced the first snow on top of the oberalp pass.   

We took the route back over the gotthard pass. You my know the old road called "Tremola". Today this road is in amazing condition, but only open in the summer.

Below some pictures of this road.

All in all, great road trip and the Cadillac is wonderful to drive. Great on the highway, and even better (or fun) in the winding mountain roads!
Someone ask before how it is to drive a Cadillac in Switzerland, well you just drive. No problem.

P.S: I would be very glad, If some one could crawl under the dash and snap a picture of the two interior lights (ash tray - front light and Glove Compartment Light)

P.S 2: I noticed that someone disconnected the PCV on the passenger side. Now I am wondering if the PCV setup was the same in 68 and 69. Since I have a wrong carburetor (69 Eldorado). I am not sure if the PCV (for example from USA Parts Supply) works with my carb.
here is a picture. Am I right, that I should connect the PCV line to the little red thing in the picture?

Thanks a lot.

kind regards,