News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Why would I buy a Lasalle over a Cadillac?

Started by 52Cadillac, April 18, 2013, 06:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

52Cadillac

Not being sarcastic here, but do wonder. What are the differences? Is the ride as nice, interior? Comfort level? Longevity of mechanics in general? At least maintaining your Investment as opposed to a Cadillac, again in general? Likability factor with public as opposed to a Cadillac (they may be the next buyer)? Why is it called the companion vehicle to the Cadillac?  Some months ago a Lasalle was for sale locally. My inquiring mind would like to know from guys that are in the know.
Thanks, Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Louis Smith

I don't think there really is one answer that would fit all.  The short history is that at one time GM had "companion" cars to their main brands.  General Motors pioneered the idea that consumers would aspire to buy up an automotive product ladder if a company met certain price points. As General Motors entered the 1920s, the product ladder started with the price-leading Chevrolet marque, and then progressed upward in price, power and appointments to Oakland, Oldsmobile, Buick and ultimately to the luxury Cadillac marque. By the mid-1920s, a sizable price gap existed between Chevrolet and Oakland, and the difference between an Oldsmobile and a Buick was wider. There was also a product gap between Buick and Cadillac. To address this, General Motors authorized the introduction of four companion marques priced and designed to fill the gaps. Cadillac would introduce the LaSalle to fill the gap between Cadillac and Buick. Buick would introduce the Marquette to handle the upper end of the gap between Buick and Oldsmobile. Oldsmobile would introduce the Viking, which took care of the lower end of the same gap. This is often referred to as General Motors Companion Make Program.

rodger

I had a 38 LaSalle convertible coupe years ago, I would take another one over the same yr Cadillac anyday. Except for maybe a V16
Rodger Craig

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I have a 1940 LaSalle series 52 sedan. It is virtually the same car as the series 62 Cadillac sedan. The LaSalle, IMO, is a much better looking car than its 1940 Cadillac sister. The LaSalle was the styling leader of the pair. It got headlights in the fenders a year before Cadillac did.

By and large, the LaSalles had a leaner sharper look than their Cadillac contemporaries, which tended to be fatter and more heavily ornamented.

speach

Yea they basically put a hold on Cadillac to preserve the brand, and gave people something else. Huh maybe Cadillac should do it again. Unfortunately those were much different times.
Current cars:
1986 Military Chevrolet Diesel G30 Box Van
1968 Conv DeVille
1989 Toyota SpaceCruiser

You cant take your car with you in the end so drive the dang thing.

WilliamTrausch

Louis Smith

Quote from: speach on April 18, 2013, 11:27:11 PM
Yea they basically put a hold on Cadillac to preserve the brand, and gave people something else. Huh maybe Cadillac should do it again. Unfortunately those were much different times.

I heard somewhere, that one of the reasons for the discontinuation of the LaSalles, was because they were outselling Cadillacs and cutting into GM profits.  People were getting a Cadillac quality car, at a less expensive price.  This was a harbinger of things to come in the distance future, when GM dropped Oldsmobile and Pontiac.

rodger

Louis, I have the same understanding, Cadillac was losing sales to LaSalle there fore losing the bigger profits that Cadillac generated.
Rodger Craig

Jay Friedman

Wasn't the Series 61, the lowest priced Cadillac, meant to take the place of the LaSalle?
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Greg Powers

Originally the Series 61 was created to fill the void in the pricing structure after the demise of the LaSalle. Remember that it was the LaSalle design that brought Harley Earl his early acclaim at General Motors. As far as a current purchase it is really the buyer's choice. Does the car appeal to you and give you pleasure in ownership? As with all markets, buying to resell at a profit is always a "crap shoot".
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

52Cadillac

Very interesting read Louis.
I wouldn't buy a car I wasn't excited about driving or owning. A crap shoot is right. The only folks who've heard of Lasalle are Caddy owners for the most parts.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org

Louis Smith

Quote from: 52Cadillac on April 19, 2013, 09:41:48 AM
Very interesting read Louis.
I wouldn't buy a car I wasn't excited about driving or owning. A crap shoot is right. The only folks who've heard of Lasalle are Caddy owners for the most parts.
Mike

Don't forget Archie and Edith.  Their old LaSalle ran great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F9vRVyV914

52Cadillac

Wrong clip Louis, but I remember the intro song, and loved the stogie. No Lasalle in sight.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org

Louis Smith

Quote from: 52Cadillac on April 19, 2013, 11:58:28 AM
Wrong clip Louis, but I remember the intro song, and loved the stogie. No Lasalle in sight.
Mike

What is wrong with the clip?  At the end of the song they said, "Gee our old LaSalle ran great".

The line that gives everyone so much trouble is: "Gee, our old LaSalle ran great."  You'll notice that after the second season, Jean sings it much clearer.  This was to help those of you that didn't catch it the first two season's. 

The problem wasn't as much with diction, as it was with the dated reference.  Many people thought it referred to the LaSalle University track team,  it doesn't.  LaSalle was a division of Cadillac that produced autos from 1927 to 1940

52Cadillac

Ok I get it now. Your right. Kept looking for a Lasalle in the video.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org

Louis Smith

Quote from: 52Cadillac on April 19, 2013, 03:17:04 PM
Ok I get it now. Your right. Kept looking for a Lasalle in the video.
Mike

Ah,you want a visual LaSalle!  No problem you got one, and from All in the Family!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTCas7UcidA

R Schroeder

Jeff Maltby 4194

Right on Louis HAAAAAAAA.  Glad somebody has some humor these days :<)

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=-_cdbByTeNE

Archie JR
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

52Cadillac

SemperFiFund.org

R Schroeder

Another posting wandering way off course.........ha

Louis Smith

Quote from: Roy Schroeder on April 19, 2013, 07:02:26 PM