News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Road Trip to Grand National 2013

Started by 52Cadillac, July 29, 2013, 10:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

52Cadillac

Wow, day 1 a success, after mucho delays, and problems getting ready. No real problems on the road. Once or twice I think the neutral safety switch gave me a 3 minute delay at a gas stop. Mack the Cadillac was on the road for 14 hours, and performed very well. Cadillac Widow and I hit DC around rush hour, and was held up for about and hour or so. Then up 270 to 15N, and holed up in Harrisburg for the night. Very scenic watching the sunset on the road.  It makes me realize how lucky we are.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org
(Helping combat injured Marines)

Richardonly

Mike,

Keep us updated with words and photos if you have the time.

Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Blade

That's great Mike, please keep posting news and definitely pictures too!

Joe Manna

Blade,
Glad you are making out ok.Where are you driving from?.Will look you up when we get there.
1951 Chevrolet Bel-Air-50's Style Custom
1963 Cadillac 4 Window Sedan deVille
1991 Cadillac DW69 Brougham,All original and used daily
2015 Cadillac SRX

52Cadillac

Np guys happy to.
Joe, Drove from Hilton Head, SC to Quincy, Ma. Had a great day 2 on the road with no problems. We hit a few horrendous pot holes. Going over the George Washington bridge was rough. The Cadillac did well. Arrived with all wheel covers and skirts.
Arrived about 530 ish. We were inundated with onlookers when we pulled into the Marriott.
Walked into Marriot got our reserved room. Unloaded car. Walked into registration and no reservation with the club found anywhere, except for the 52 Nassau Blue Convertible was shown on another fellas computer for the touring division. No payment shown. So if I want to display I have to pay again. I'm keeping my cool, and will speak with them again shortly. They act like I didn't pay, but would drive 1100 mi with a reserved room and hope I sneak into the show? I don't think so. Cadillac widow and I may not enter, but ill take pictures. Already some beautiful cars in the parking lot. A 39 Sedan convertible that makes our car look like a Mini Cooper. Hehe.
Pics coming.
SemperFiFund.org

The Tassie Devil(le)

Looks like you had better get someone to send you your receipts that you inadvertently left at home.

Hope everything turns out okay in the end, and you have a wonderful time.,

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

52Cadillac

Ok np we're in and registered. Good to go. I'm not normally an excitable guy. But just a few cars in the lot had me drooling. Ok first things first after 2 days of cruising Cadillac Widow and I are thirsty.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org

52Cadillac

Holy Smoly, we walked out into the lot last night, and this is some of what we saw. It was dark so
better pics in today.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org

52Cadillac

Couple more pics
SemperFiFund.org

Blade

Quote from: Joe Manna on July 30, 2013, 05:50:12 PM
Blade,
Glad you are making out ok.Where are you driving from?.Will look you up when we get there.

Joe, unfortunately I am not driving out there, my restoration isn't complete yet. I hope I can make it next year though. Mike is driving with his '52 this time.

52Cadillac

I could pitch a tent in the parking lot, and be a happy camper sitting amongst Cadillacs and LaSalles.
I've seen lots of great metal. Station wagon, Caballero truck, Sevilles, sedans, coupes, roadsters. Very cool. Seminars were good, informative.
SemperFiFund.org

Richardonly

Mike,

I'm glad they got your registration straightened out.  That's much too far and expensive to have someone's mistake foul you up.

Keep enjoying, Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

52Cadillac

Naw that were good folks. Once we explained the logic , it wasn't really a problem. Already have a new looking goddess for the hood from a vendor. Tips, opines, history from some folks who know a heck pf a lot more then I do on my car. Good many parts vendors with  Nos, rebuilt and just plain used parts. Couple cars in the corral for sale. A 47 conv, and a 28 LaSalle conv.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org

Jay Friedman

Mike and everyone else at the GN,

You guys have a great time.  It sounds like fun already and it's only Thursday. 

Mike, I'm pleased to see you drove your '52 up there from SC.  I remember well when you passed through the Atlanta area with it some months ago. 

I couldn't make it to the GN myself this year but hope to be at Lake George next year with my '49. 

Jay

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

52Cadillac

Thanks Jay, I'm content to hang out looking and chatting about the cars. But i didnt want Cadillac Widow to get Hotelitis, so we ventured out in the old gurl for a couple hours. Thanks for your help in the past Jay with the Caddy. We hope to make it next year. The lake sounds like a great place.
Mike
PS more pics coming.
SemperFiFund.org

52Cadillac

It rained pretty good last night, and sprinkling now. Should clear up by noon. A lot of folks went underground. The hospitality room is really done well. Snacks, and treats, various non alcohol drinks. I was looking for the wheat beer, but I guess they didn't get my requests. Hehe. Naw it was an excellent setup. Worth the trip to go up say hi, and mingle a little.
Mike
SemperFiFund.org

R Sotardi #11719

Mike, you are up in my  old  grounds. (now Tucson). If you want a pretty drive back to SC, try going west on the Mass Pike to The Taconic State Pkwy. Drive south  to the Sprain and onto the Saw Mill Pkwy. That becomes the Henry Hudson ( West Side Hwy). There you have the option of the Holland Tunnel ( Varick St) or the Battery tunnel into Brooklyn then onto Staten Island via the Verazzano Narrows Bridge. That is I- 278 right to the I-95 south ( aka Jersey Tpk). Try to avoid the Manhattan  after 3 PM ... traffic. If you never been there it's a nice trip. The GW bridge is always an option. The Taconic is a beautiful drive in a old car. Ron

52Cadillac

Thanks Ron,
In the am we were looking for a diff route, other then the GW bridge. Rough ride thru there. Looking for a little less traffic. Will check out the scenic route you recommend. Another fella had gone thru Pennsylvania, and around the major hubs. Thanks.

Just in from polishing chrome, cleaning leather, etc.
Yesterday, Cadillac Widow and I were near our car, and we see an elderly gentleman with a cane , and his Grandaughter walk over to my car. He pointed under the drivers door, and tapped it with his cane telling his GD something. I came over as they were leaving and decided not to dress him down in front of an 10 year old. Later we see him with his car which appeared to be a 1930 conv coupe. Showing it off. I wanted to go over and finger his chrome, but refrained.
Never touch a mans car or motorcycle without permission.
Show starts soon. No one has their top down yet. Are tops supposed to be up for the show or down? Or does it matter?
Mike

SemperFiFund.org

Jay Friedman

Another scenic way to the south from Mass. would be the Mass Tpk. to Exit 9 which is I-84.  Then I-84 thru CT, NY and all the way to near Scranton PA.  A dog leg on 380 then onto I-81 all the way to Wytheville VA, then I-77 south into SC.  It's very scenic thru CT. NY PA and the Shenandoah Valley of VA.  It's how I go from my home in GA to the Northeast.  A bit longer but worth it.
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

Jay Friedman

Ron,

I agree with you re: the Taconic.  Following the GN in Albany NY in, if I remember, 1995, I drove my '49 down the Taconic to Westchester County NY to visit relatives for a couple of days.  It's a very pretty drive.  (I'm an ex-New Yorker, too.  Am now in the Atlanta area.) 

Jay
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984