News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

59 Biarritz

Started by Nicholas Y, August 21, 2013, 01:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

59-in-pieces

As Nicholas points out, only the convertible cars with bucket seats - Eldorado Biarritz - had a light in the rear convertible bow and switch on the rear driver's side armrest area.
Even the Eldorado Biarritz with a bench seat did not have the rear bow light.
The bench seat cars had a center arm rest in the front seat, and on the back side toward the rear seat was a light which was not present with a car with bucket seats - no armrest assembly.
See the photos.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Nicholas Y

N. Yassan
CLC #22272

Blade

And how did you find it? I am also surprised you can still come across an Eldorado unrestored when you have to really beat the bush to get even a Series 62.

imf222

Ron Wesselink Netherlands Europe

1953 Sedan de Ville
1958 Eldorado Seville
1959  Fleetwood
1959. Fleetwood 60s
1959 serie 62 convertible
1959 coupe de ville
1960  convertible
1960 serie 75 limo

N Kahn

Nicholas Y

Finally, after many blown fuses,  got the wiring replaced and installed correctly to have the top bow light and switch work.  Added another inline fuse in the arm rest for extra insurance. 
On and off, works great, switch is rebuilt too. 
This is one of those things I really needed to get correct!
N. Yassan
CLC #22272

59-in-pieces

Small point - but a tricky one, and you may have already worked this out.
Wiring the bow light can be a B Kitty.
The bow light comes on when the doors are opened or by turning the headlight switch to turn on the interior lights, when the doors are closed - like during driving.
It is not just turned on or off by the arm rest switch, unless the doors are closed and the headlight switch is not turned to light the interior lights.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Nicholas Y

That was the hard part. it is wired that way to only illuminate when the door is open, and the switch is on.  it wont go on just with the switch.
I couldn't find the correct way to wire it anywhere so it was trial and error until it works like it should now. 

N. Yassan
CLC #22272

Nicholas Y

Finally got the car out for a drive.  many years since it was last on the road
N. Yassan
CLC #22272

Blade

Nicholas,

Did you have you do any work on the engine and/or the transmission and how many original miles were on it? Are you going to keep it red or change it back to original?

Nicholas Y

I have to tune up and change the water pump.  Still need to rebuild the tripower.  I plan to leave it for now not sure on if I had to repaint what color.  it would look nice as Silver/Black/Black
N. Yassan
CLC #22272

Blade

Yeah, I'd go back to silver -- it's probably one of the best colors anyway. How long was it sitting? Did you run compression tests on the cylinders?

C.R. Patton II

Hello Nicholas

Gratulantur on your rare find.

Tibor's suggestion of a compression check is point on.  In the meantime drive that chariot until you return it to its original colors.  Please post chronological pictures so we can see your joy.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Nicholas Y

New friends
N. Yassan
CLC #22272

Ken Perry

Decisions,decisions,,,,do I drive my 59 Biarritz or my 60 Biarritz ??? 8)  Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

Bill Young

I have scale models of each.

Rod Dahlgren #19496

Looks like you found the Hoppy Clark Car from Nevada Mo. Saw it when he had his auction- Actually I went there to bid on it but there were a couple guys that went nuts when bidding started. The 3X2 set was with the car but the engine had a single carb on it. ALSO, Some LOW LIFE stole the plastic lube tag from the door jamb that day. I I had looked at the number on the frame to see if it matched, so I KNOW it was there early in the day-- GONE when they surrounded the car for bidding to begin.
Well I hope the car gets a proper restoration now!
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?

rwchatham CLC 21892

Here is a video of some of the Cadillacs and other cars from the Toppy Clark auction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnVJGJHxDcw
R. Waligora

Bill Young

Interesting video. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was a wood bodied Hispano Suiza and Boss Hog's Cadillac was a Cotillion White 1970 DeVille Convertible. They say ignorance is bliss , She must be exuberant .The most annoying commentator I can remember.

66 Eldo

Quote from: cad59 on August 21, 2013, 04:23:57 PM
Car was owned by a man who was born in 1911.  He bought it in 1979, lived in Missouri.  I made a color copy of the title since it was interesting. 
Not sure on the color or really the restoration.  My current plan is to do nothing with the interior or exterior.   I do however plan to get Everything to work the way it was supposed to,  Tri power/ Air conditioning, Cruise control, Air suspension, trunk pull down, Autronic Eye, etc.   I received the build sheet and this car had received every option. 
My feeling is there are plenty of restored '59s not to many original ones which aren't in too bad of shape.
They painted the door jambs but didn't do the firewall and didn't remove any of the Eldorado trim from what I can see.  You can see the fender skirt brace is peeling and the silver is there. 
All the Eldorado fender letters are still on, It must have been a good painter since its hard to see the silver behind the letters.

Don't mean to burst your bubble (impossible,  you own a 59 Eldo  :)) but if it has been repainted, its not original. Color change? Even more.  Regardless, beautiful car.