News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Value

Started by Dlynn78, October 31, 2013, 12:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillacmike68

Eric, Roy,

I can agree that that some servicing issues are made easier, like getting the # 7 plug out, and possibly the belts (I have a 1970 belt setup with only 3 belts). but 71 & later had non-adjustable carb idle mixture screws, and got increasingly more and more complicated pollution control devices on them which both strangled engine performance and made servicing more complicated.

HEI is great, but my P&C ignition is Very reliable, so I see that as a tossup, except for the expense of the HEI components when they need replacing.

The Climate control is probably less dependent on vacuum control, I can see that as a plus for the later cars.

My 1968 requires that the AC compressor at least be unbolted (not unsealed) to get the upper radiator hose off, so that is another minor improvement over the older gen 472s as well.

But overall, there is far less to have to contend with in a 1968-70 engine compartment.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

R Schroeder

I have adjustable idle screws on my carb. All you need do is pop the plastic caps off the carb, and you have the same adjusting screws.  I think 79 they started with plugged off holes in that area.
I bought all spare N.O.S. parts for my HEI off Ebay for less than 75 bucks. Cap and rotor excluded. These parts are kept as spares.
I don't run a EGR valve. I run platinum plugs.  My heat riser is in the open position ,and stays that way. A minute more to let it warm up.
My catalytic convertor has been neutered , if you get my drift.
Not much else to contend with on the engine. Carbon canister works fine. If it didn't it can be replaced.
I have a lot of room to work on most everything on my engine .
Gets 18 mpg. Runs smooth. Pulls 21-22 inches of vacuum steady at an idle.
You just cant get better than that.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

There's a lot of misinformation regarding horespower ratings - which were overrated in a lot of cases prior to 1971.

Full story:

http://ateupwithmotor.com/terms-technology-definitions/gross-versus-net-horsepower/

Personally I've never found the 425 wanting for power. YMMV.

**BTW Roy - you have the bluest bolts I've seen in a long time.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

R Schroeder

Eric, I sent you some other pictures of low mileage cars with the blue bolts. Pretty hey ?
Roy