News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1938 cad 60 special.

Started by dorrsulee, January 19, 2014, 12:04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dorrsulee

I have a 1938 60 special about 80% complete.  I had to replace the wood under the body so done a bare frame up restoration. I put a 1988 chev 350 engine in it still using the original bell housing and 3 spd trans.  I didnt us a adapter plate but modified the bell housing.  The beauty of doing it this way the original engine will still button up to the same housing.  The chevy eng fits perfectly in the car.  Just added motor mounts to fit the eng.  Used center flow exh manifolds which gave plenty of pipe clearance.  Now Im adding a firewall mounted master cylinder so I can remove the original frame mounted cylinder to run the left exhaust pipe in the frame.
    I painted the car a toyota off white  Put ford 150 17 inch mag rims on the car with some modification. Note:: Bumpers and trunk lid were off a 1941 cad when I bought it which I left on the car  leroy dorf

gary griffin

Since you are modifying the brake system, maybe you would want a dual master cylinder??  Just a thought~
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

dorrsulee

Quote from: gary griffin on January 19, 2014, 10:12:16 PM
Since you are modifying the brake system, maybe you would want a dual master cylinder??  Just a thought~
Ive mounted a swing pedal through the firewall with a dual master cylinder and vac. booster.  It is a universal kit for $214.00.  Only thing car is not completley original but plan to cruise alot and feel better safety wise with the dual master cylinder.  leroy dorf

1937 LaSalle coupe

Hi Leroy.  How and what did you do to the original bell housing to get it to fit the small block Chevrolet motor ? At least this way, you were able to use the original clutch pedal and linkage. Looks good... John C. Lehman... CLC# 26365...

dorrsulee

Quote from: 1937 LaSalle coupe on May 17, 2014, 06:52:13 AM
Hi Leroy.  How and what did you do to the original bell housing to get it to fit the small block Chevrolet motor ? At least this way, you were able to use the original clutch pedal and linkage. Looks good... John C. Lehman... CLC# 26365...
I had to longate some of the housing holes and add a bar across the top mount.  Also took off some of the starter metal for the chevy stater to clear. Trick was to center the pilot bearing with the fly wheel.  The 1938 pilot bearing is the same size as the 1988 350. It is holding up good so far. Cant seem to attach a picture of it here. If you want send me your email add. & I can email you a picture of the assembly.  Leroy dorf

1937 LaSalle coupe

Hi Leroy. I'm interested in how you done the transmission to engine modification. My Email address is : beckleyralston@hotmail.com. Thanks.... John Lehman... CLC# 26365...