News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 DeVille Convertible - Restoration

Started by DeVille68, April 27, 2014, 02:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bentley

Hi Nicolas,

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm sure someone out there will. I am also working on a '68 DeVille, and am learning a great deal about this model by following your blog.

Wes
Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183

DeVille68

Quote from: Bentley on November 03, 2014, 06:00:06 PM
Hi Nicolas,

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm sure someone out there will. I am also working on a '68 DeVille, and am learning a great deal about this model by following your blog.

Wes

Hi Wes,

Thanks a lot for your kind words.
I hope someone will benefit from my shared experiences.

And I indeed found answers to my questions. Had to talk to a few guys in the tire business. They told me that it is essential that the rim has a "hump" on the outside, such that a tubeless tire has something to hold on to. The inside "hump" is just for double security and not necessarily needed because the forces acting on the tire will always push the inside tire side to the outside of the rim (that is towards inside of the car). That meant that the inside tire side is always held in place by the outer rim edge towards the inside of the car.

My description is probably a bit confusing, but it makes sense when you visualize the forces acting on the tire.

Hence, it is save to use all the above rims for mounting a tubeless tire.

Next step is to sandblast these rims and then paint them with some POR-15 gray paint.
Then waiting till the rubber arrives and I will finally have a new set of tires! :-)

Best regards,
Nicolas

P.S: I am not sure if I should paint my brake drum (the outside) with some high temperature paint. Just for protecting them against rust and dirt. Any experiences with the correct paint and such?

1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

DeVille68

Hi guys,

Okey, so I was still tinkering around with my brake drums, not being sure what to do with them.

Luckily, today I discovered that the rear and front brake drums are not exactly equal. The difference is in the dimension of the hole for the wheel studs. The hole on the rear brake drums is about 15mm (~ 0.6'') and the hole on the front is about 16.2 mm (~ 0.64'')

The correct part numbers according to my Master Parts catalog are different too:
rear drum: 1490714
front drum: 1489392

The wheel studs for rear and front are also different. So be aware.
rear wheel stud: 1486229
front wheel stud: 1487867  (Stud: 1/2'' - 20 x  1-11/16 )

The shoulder length is different. (Dorman has the two correct studs)

I think the Dorman 610-134 wheel stud should be correct for the front? Or is it?
Its length is only 1-1/16 but it should be 1-11/16. However, I am not sure how they measure the length. With or without head.
Or maybe Dorman 610-159?

The guy that sold me my two reproduction brake drums ordered the wrong ones - two for the rear. And I was wondering why the outside edge of the hole for the wheel studs got lifted. The reason was exactly this 1mm difference in diameter.

So anyways. I won't use any reproduction drums on my car. I found an original front drum with hub assembly.
The original ones for the rear go back on the car today.
I will replace the grease seal and check the bearing on the front drums.

I also probably do not paint my drums, since they will not see severe abuse anymore. At least as long as I own the car! :-)
(No winter and only occasionally wet driving)

So I hope this little info regarding brake drums will be useful for those planing on doing a brake job.

Best regards,
Nicolas

mario

hi nicolas:
i have available the front drums and brake system. drums mic out at 12.22. the entire braking system worked well when parked last week for disassembly in preparation for a disc brake install.
i am also removing the rear axle assembly in preparation for a lincoln mark v rear with disc brakes.
i have not seen the condtion of the rear drums yet, but the entire front braking system, hubs, bearings, shoes,  springs, backing plates and cylinders are sitting on the garage floor. if you are interested, email me. they are located in gilroy california.
thank you.
mario caimotto

DeVille68

Hi mario,

Thanks a lot. I just replayed by mail.

Very nice. And the front disc brake kit is from cpp? Or from another car?
I did not know that the lincoln mark v brakes will fit. Need to keep that in mind - just in case.

Best regards,
Nicolas

W Smith

have a 68 DeVille Convertible, have to replace the heater core, which direction do i start from, under the dash or on the firewall?  Thanks

DeVille68

Quote from: W Smith on November 28, 2014, 02:33:18 PM
have a 68 DeVille Convertible, have to replace the heater core, which direction do i start from, under the dash or on the firewall?  Thanks

Hi
Ahh, I don't really know.
Maybe someone else can help?

DeVille68

I noticed that I did not update my "blog" in a long time. So here are some updates.

I finally received my new tires from Diamond Back. Looking good.

I removed the last piece of rosewood - the dash board insert. I used a heat gun and some different size scrapers. Go very easy on the heat, it should just make the glue enough flexible to go be able to lift the wood with the backing plate. I was able to remove the wood without any damage.

First pictures shows the tools.
The second shows how you can reach under the wood and backing plate to gently lift it.
Third picture: some residue remained
Fourth picture: Removed wood veneer
Fifty picture: Wood started to separate from the backing plate.

Now I need to do the same procedure to the wood as earlier done to the passenger side door panel insert. All the rest of the wood will be done in one go now. Need to find a way to fix the delamination of the wood and backing plate.

DeVille68

DeVille68

Since I ordered new tires I thought it would be a good idea to paint my rims a "correct" gray color. According to the manual the correct color is a "primer gray".
I have three original wheels and two "reproduction" Kelsey-Hayes wheels.

First picture shows fourth wheels. The black rims are the Kelsey-Hayes wheels. All are quite rusty and not nice anymore.
Second picture shows the label on one of the Kelsey-Hayes wheels.  I don't know what the numbers mean? Anyone?
(15x6 makes sense but the rest of the numbers?)

The third picture shows the difference in construction. The left one has a "double hump" as opposed to the right rim which is a "single hump". The double hump is "safer" in the sense that the tire is kept in its position on either side. Single hump is also no problem since the tire on the "no-hump side" is always pushed outwards. Hence there is no danger that the tire will slip inwards.

Fourth picture: GM stamping
Fifth picture: Some stampings. 15x6 JK - what is JK? What are the the other numbers for? What is that logo?

DeVille68

more

DeVille68

I sand plasted my tires in the middle of January outside while snowing! Brrr... that was cold!
Anyways, I survived and the rims were ready for paint. Only problem: I could not paint the tires outside because the temperatures were (and still are! :D) around freezing point. So, I had to find a solution.
Luckily, I work for a company that paints their machines in-house. So, one evening I could use their spray booth along with my paint and tools. (first picture shows the spray booth). I used the POR-15 gray paint. Very nice to spray. I sprayed six light coats. I found that the paint works best out of the can - do NOT thin!

Turned out very nice - for a beginner anyways! The paint should just protect the rims from rust and weather. Only the wheel covers will be visible later anyways.

First picture: spray booth
second picture: spray tools
Third picture: before and preparation
Fourth picture: finished product!!

Rob Troxel

Nice thread.  Assume you painted whole wheel and not just the "rims".  Was wondering how the POR15 worked with a sprayer.

DeVille68

Quote from: Rob Troxel on February 15, 2015, 12:36:08 PM
Nice thread.  Assume you painted whole wheel and not just the "rims".  Was wondering how the POR15 worked with a sprayer.

Ah,yes. The whole wheel. So the rim is just the outside?
I meant the full wheel.

POR-15 is surprisingly easy to spray. So far I sprayed gray and semigloss black with a HVLP gun.
I am still a beginner but it worked fairly well.

You can, of course, apply it with a brush. But spaying gives you a smoother finish.

Best regards,
Nicolas

Rob Troxel

Great to hear POR can be sprayed.  The look is great.

DeVille68

Hi guys,

Since I've had the car it bothered me that the parking brake would release as soon as the engine starts. There is obviously something wrong with the vacuum release mechanims of the parking brake. It turned out that the vacuum switch on the neutral safety switch is missing and someone connected the vacuum line from the parking brake directly to manifold vacuum. So no wonder it released as soon as the engine started.

So I removed my switch and I am now looking for a correct 68 switch with vacuum connections.
Does anyone of you has one of those switches?

I have attached pictures of mine - in case someone is interested in an exchange.

Best regards,
Nicolas

RussK

Just read this thread, that is a nice car and your work restoring it is extraordinary.
When you asked about painting your brake drums, I always paint mine to keep them from rusting and looking new.
I use black or cast color engine paint, and never had any issues. 
I do it even on the vehicles that you cant see them without removing the wheels.
Keep us posted on your progress, and again nice work.
Russ
Russell kidd

DeVille68

Hi Russ

ok, very good. I still have the possibility to paint my drums. (well, i need to remove the rear drums again, but easy since no wheels mounted yet).
I'll probably go with the POR-15 high temperature paint. Let's see.

Someone asked me, over private message, where the twilight sentinel is mounted. Since I do not have this unit I can not provide pictures. But the unit is basically under or in the dash. It has nothing to do with the funny little eye in the driverside pocket of the front grill. As far as I know, there is again a photocell which somehow activates power to the various lights of the car.

Maybe someone else can provide some more details about the unit and where to mount it exactly.

I have attached a few pages from the 68 shop manual. There is not much more information in either the Fisher Body Manual nor the Illustation or Numbers catalog.

Can someone else help?

Best regards,
Nicolas

DeVille68

second part of pdf (because of size restrictions...)

tudor_47

Quote from: DeVille68 on February 22, 2015, 11:51:19 AM
So I removed my switch and I am now looking for a correct 68 switch with vacuum connections.
Does anyone of you has one of those switches?

Maybe CadillacTim can help you get a neutral safety switch?

http://cadillactim.com/page3.html