News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What's wrong with this Cadillac?

Started by Ken Perry, May 25, 2014, 03:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan LeBlanc

I'm about as stout as a preservationist one will ever see.  That's why I joined the CLC.  When I see a hacked, chopped, or otherwise mangled Cadillac, I tend to throw up in my mouth a little.  I appreciate seeing these in the way that Harley Earl, Bill Mitchell, and the other designers on the legendary teams intended these cars to be viewed.  To many, these were dream cars in the day.  A sign of optimism in the post WWII boom.  Many aspired to own a Cadillac and few owned them.

To me, to do this to one of these cars is like using the Shroud of Turin as toilet paper.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Dan LeBlanc

We all have our tastes. Mine is preserved and authentically restored. In a public forum, I'm like Art, you ask me for my opinion and I'll give you an honest one - not necessarily the one someone wants to hear but that's life.
Dan LeBlanc

The Tassie Devil(le)

I must be different, as I appreciate anything Automotive, Aeronautical and Nautical.

I appreciate the "what-goes-into-making" and designing and the end looks.   Yes, a Cimaron has its' advantages, as does a Trabrant, or a Cadillac.   Someone's brain power went into the thought, need, design and end construction.   I don't say that everything worked out good, but there are things that must be done to satisfy everyone.

The bloke that puts Cragars on his car, wants it to stand out in the crowd of everything stock.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

David Greenburg

My personal taste generally runs toward authentic- original, and feel like many shows are overrun with tri-five Chevy and muscle car "customs" and resto-rods, although i can get intrigued by a creative and unusual custom.  I've often thought it would be interesting to see a well done '59 60S flattop, or maybe even a '59 with a third fin.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

gary griffin

I have a friend with a beautiful 1942 Cadillac that the previous owner reportedly spent over $80,000 on. The exterior is stock and beautiful but the interior has all of the modern luxuries such as power windows, Air conditioning and leather covered bucket seats, with 6 way power adjustment of course.  Under the hood is a modern Cadillac power plant with modern running gear.  After the previous owners death it was in Hemmings for months with a steadily declining price until my friend finally purchased it for $25,000 as I recall. 
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Quentin Hall

So the moral is that a loving, just and kind god will forgive a customiser for his sins, but the open market will crucify him? >:D
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Blade

Yeah ... you either making in this business or you don't. Don't know too much about them but from a few I've seen it has also became very competitive.

A couple of years ago saw two heavily customized 1959 Coupe DeVilles for sale, they were both originally up for around $300,000. A few months later - the last I've seen them - they were still offered by the same owners, one was priced at $75,000 the other at $30,000 ... still no offers. Does that suggest anything?

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Quentin Hall on May 28, 2014, 12:40:37 PM
So the moral is that a loving, just and kind god will forgive a customiser for his sins, but the open market will crucify him? >:D

...or his financial health, at least.

Quote from: Blade on May 28, 2014, 01:17:50 PM
A couple of years ago saw two heavily customized 1959 Coupe DeVilles for sale, they were both originally up for around $300,000. A few months later - the last I've seen them - they were still offered by the same owners, one was priced at $75,000 the other at $30,000 ... still no offers. Does that suggest anything?

Yup.

When dealing with original, the only thing discussed, is price.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: ericdev on May 28, 2014, 01:18:13 PM
When dealing with original, the only thing discussed, is price.

And occasionally the buyer faints and eventually agrees.  There isn't much negotiation on these cars.
Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: 49er on May 28, 2014, 02:52:50 PM

So, the moral is:

For those that understand:
       No explanation is needed,
     For those that do not
       No explanation will suffice

Perfectly said
Dan LeBlanc