News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1939 Series 61 found in Texas

Started by curtmacd, October 13, 2014, 08:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curtmacd

Hi folks, I'm new to the forum. I wanted to share that I just bought a very nice rust free 61 series. Found this car in a warehouse and has been inside for years. Can't wait to get started on it. It is 100% complete and never wrecked or abused. Engine turns over, but the fuel tank is out of the car. Figuring this was the stopping point for the last owner. After a quick look, it appears that  the tank has a pin hole in it. I'm looking into repair vs replacement.

harry s

Welcome and congratulations on your find. Looks like a nice one.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Steve Passmore

That certainly is how you like to find them. Well done.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Smedly

Curtmacd, I am curious of your intentions with this car. Restoration or Preservation or Customization? It looks to be in beautiful condition. If it were mine I would go with Preservation and just spend my time cleaning and polishing and driving.
Just my 2 cents.
Sheldon Hay
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

C.R. Patton II

Hello Curtis

Gratulantur on your acquisition!

I echo the statements of my predecessors and add some data for you to contemplate.
1939 Cadillac 6119 SDN, 126 inches.  Only 3,955 manufactured with just 14 listed in the 2014 Cadillac & LaSalle Club International Membership Directory.

I would like to invite you to join our CLC National organization and a region near your residence to enjoy the camaraderie and experience of our members.  I'm not sure where you are located in Texas, but we have great knowledgeable Cadillac owner's in that part of the country.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

curtmacd

Thanks guys, I'm located in Celina Texas, just north of the DFW metroplex. For the record, as nice and original as this car is, there is NO WAY I would modify this car. My plans are to get it running and driving. I will need to have the seats reupholstered and headliner, door panels, etc..... But everything is there. I'm more into the preservation with a slight restoration to get her back to driving condition. I will need to have the steering wheel refurbished as well. I bought new tires for it today and plan to move it home at the end of next week. Prepare yourselves for stupid questions!

C.R. Patton II

Hello Curtis

We are happy to welcome you as a Cadillac owner.

I would like to recommend that you acquire the 1939-1940 Cadillac Authenticity Manual Class 10.  It is well written by knowledgeable CLC members and it will serve as a guide for your restoration.

Also there is "no such thing as stupid questions".  Only people that  are smart enough to expand their level of knowledge.  Please ask any and all of the questions you desire.   A young fellow like yourself is the future of this club.

We exist to assist.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

curtmacd

Where is the best place to purchase a headliner kit for my car? Looking for good quality.

C.R. Patton II

Hello Curtis

Call Kim at SMS Auto Fabrics 503-263-3535 or info@smsautofabrics.com

curtmacd

curtmacd

Has anyone used Quality Restorations for their steering wheels? I received a quote from Dennis to completely restore my banjo style wheel. The plastic is all but gone.

C.R. Patton II

Hello Curtis

I have heard favorable statements regarding their work.  Please share the quote price here or pm me.

curtmacd

Quote from: C.R. Patton II on October 20, 2014, 07:57:21 PM

Hello Curtis

I have heard favorable statements regarding their work.  Please share the quote price here or pm me.
The quote I received was $900 plus $35 shipping which included a $1300 insurance policy for shipping. In my opinion, the steering wheel is the focal feature in any interior. When I place my butt in the drivers seat, what I see in front of me is extremely important. The steering wheel, length of the hood and hood ornament. If this company does outstanding work, according to the process he follows, this may be a reasonable price. What do you think?

C.R. Patton II

Hello Curtis

Thank you sharing.

That is a ballpark price in today's market.  Did you mention your Cadillac & LaSalle Club membership? There should be a discount.  Please share your feelings about the finished product.

curtmacd

Up on all fours.

C.R. Patton II

Curtis

Very nice original prewar Cadillac.  Smart acquisition young man.

curtmacd

Part of the mystique and excitement about buying a car that hasn't been running in 25 years, is not knowing the mechanical condition.

Well, after a complete electrical tune up and oil change, I gave her a squirt of fuel today and she fired up!!! I didn't want to run it long until I flush the cooling system and fuel system. I plan to go ahead and rebuild the fuel pump and carb this week. I plan to pick up a new sending unit for the tank and have the tank cleaned and lined.

At least I know it runs, has oil pressure and sounds solid!

hudson29

Curtiss, how is your project coming along? Did you get the fuel system upgraded?

You will find these 1939 Series 61 cars to be some of the best of the prewar cars to drive. Lots of smooth power and great brakes. How is your suspension & shocks?

Vintage Paul
1939 Cadillac 6127 Coupé
1929 Hudson Town Sedan
1926 Hudson Anderson Bodied Coupé
1923 Ford Runabout

chstitans42

I saw this Caddy on CL a few months back using that picture that was posted above.  I am not positive that it was sold, but sadly I think this one was bought for resale. Hopefully I am wrong and it has been kept by the guy who bought it!

hudson29

I hope it will not wind up as a hot rod. I cringe when I see one these very rare cars butchered and lost forever. I have seen more of the 1939 Coupés like the one I am working on turned into "customs" than restored. Cadillac was still a small high quality maker before the war and the cars are so good as they were made there is just no reason to destroy them. More important, the history is lost and can never be recaptured.

Vintage Paul
1939 Cadillac 6127 Coupé
1929 Hudson Town Sedan
1926 Hudson Anderson Bodied Coupé
1923 Ford Runabout