News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

proportioning valve for my 68 Calais

Started by STEVE CLC #16187, April 30, 2015, 10:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STEVE CLC #16187

I have a 68 Calais with disc brakes front and I have  been looking for a proportioning valve , with no luck anybody on this forum know of a pace to get one. I have tried several place already with no avail. Rock Auto and USA Parts are just two of them. Would appreciate any ideas or information as to where to look. Thanks

steve
steve hales
clc # 16187

Bobby B

Steve,
Hi. Try Inline Tube. Won't be exact, but close enough and good quality GM reproductions.
                                                                                                    Bobby
http://inlinetube.com/Prop%20Valves/pro_valves.htm
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Glen

The shop manual calls it a metering valve.  And its purpose is to delay the disc brakes (the pads of which are always very close to the rotor) until the rear drum brakes have time to move the shoes out to the drums.

The valve consists of a small spring loaded piston in a heavy steel block.  The piston is pushed out by the brake line pressure delaying the disc brakes.  The spring and piston are held into the block by a C ring. 

Pre 1975; after working on the brakes on my 68 ELDO; I was testing them and the C ring gave way and the spring and piston went flying.  Of course I lost all pressure in the front system.  I went to the parts store and the valve was not available.  I went to the dealer and they had to order it from a warehouse and it took about three weeks to come in.  By then I had bypassed the metering valve.  I never noticed the difference.  I got the replacement valve but I never installed it.  I didn’t want the C ring to give way on the freeway or some such place. 

I’ve posted a clipping from the master parts book that may help you find the part; if you dare to put it in. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

STEVE CLC #16187

Thanks for your information guys, I tried Inline Tube and they stock nothing for Cadillac all other GM cars but not Cadillac. I checked the part number you gave me Glen, it is no longer available so, I am still right where I started.  I am still open to suggestions so keep them coming . I may have to go to the junk yard and hope to get an overpriced valve that actually  works. lol. Thanks for your help.
steve hales
clc # 16187

Dave Shepherd

How about Buick or olds full size vehicle part, I don't think there can be much difference.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Steve,
I suggest your get your original valve rebuilt. Then you know what you have.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

STEVE CLC #16187

I looked on USA parts web sight and they show a proportioning valve 67 - 87, called them the have bought a a lot of GM proportioning valves but I need the tubing size of the fittings . Can anybody send me the schematic from a 68 parts book that shows the 4 inlet and outlet  tubing sizes? I don't want to take it off. It looks like 1/2 but not sure . That would be helpful. Thanks for all the information so far. I am following up on all leads. Thanks

steve
steve hales
clc # 16187

mgbeda

I had good luck getting my original rebuilt by these guys:

www.harmonclassicbrakes.com

Good work, good price, friendly.  It was just about $100 even, which is what new ones cost anyway.  And the new ones don't look anything like the originals.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

speach

No I am certain inline tube does carry parts for Cadillacs. They have preformed stainless lines for 68 all drum brakes and front disc, they also carry a GM Prop valve.These parts are listed on Ebay, their website seems to lack updates but if you call they will tell you for sure. Caddy Daddy has one for like 175 or something crazy. I know because I called and asked, as I am trying to part 69 disc parts on my 68 non disc car.
Current cars:
1986 Military Chevrolet Diesel G30 Box Van
1968 Conv DeVille
1989 Toyota SpaceCruiser

You cant take your car with you in the end so drive the dang thing.

WilliamTrausch