News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

60s Cad owners that insist on WIDE WWs

Started by Maynard Krebs, August 03, 2015, 01:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Youshock

Well, 8.00 blackwalks were standard on Cadillacs of this vintage.  8.20 ww's were optional and usually part of a package of other accessories.   

As for seat belts on your 1956 example--they were available as a dealer installed option.

It might be a good idea to familiarize yourself with the club's judging procedures.  There are no deductions for seatbelts...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Maynard Krebs

I fully expect that judges will not deduct points for seat belts . . . or fire extinguishers, either.

I'm not "into" judging.   Even if I happened to have a world-class Fleetwood or Cad convert, how can any person say that one is a "better" car than another?   Trophy-hunting is absurd, IMO.

OK; I accept that most 60s Cads were scheduled for 8.00 x 15 blackwalls.   But, what percentage of them actually came with blackwalls...instead of whitewalls (for which was a bit 'extra') ?
Yes, the top-of-the-line Eldos & Fleetwoods came with whitewalls standard, while they were "optional" on the bread & butter Calais and DeVille.   Yet, I'm betting that a good 75% of these Calais and DeVilles arrived from the factory at the dealerships wearing the 8.20 whitewalls.

Finally, has anyone here on this BB ever experienced sudden brake or master cylinder failure while motoring at high knots?   I have, and I do not wish to experience it again.   Therefore, I
would convert a pre-'62 Cad to a dual master cylinder brake system . . . even on a car that was worthy of "show points".

quadfins

And, starting this year, dual master cylinder conversions on pre-1962 cars will NOT result in deductions in CLC judging.

I will speculate, however, that under the increasingly strict judging guidelines, any car that is actually driven, and would need a dual MC conversion, will have a more difficult time progressing up the trophy food chain.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

The Tassie Devil(le)

Personally I don't give a continental what people do with their Lincolns, or other brands regarding whitewalls, blackwalls radials or crossplies.   This is a Cadillac and LaSalle site.

I once put the whitewalls to the inside on one of my cars when I couldn't purchase blackwalls.   I would rather have clean blackwalls than dirty whitewalls.   The same goes for these whiteletter tyres.   Why advertise the tyre companies for nothing.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

n2caddies

I'm curious if anyone has experience good or bad with the new tires from Coker and Diamondback that are radials built to look like bias ply. Do they give the original stance of the factory bias ply and how does the judging treat these as far as point deductions for being radials?  I would think they would be treated the same as new repop batteries that look like original tar top Delco but are really maintenance free. Thanks!
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: Walter Youshock on August 04, 2015, 03:43:38 PM
Yeah.  What's wrong with cadillac owners who want their car to look and drive, and handle authentically?  Or don't want to lose 5 points PER TIRE at Hershey?

You lnow, the roads were a lot newer 50 years ago, too.  I have zero problem with bias tires on good roads.  Lately, even my other cars want to drive themselves off the washboards we have for roads.

Agree...I can predict on these tire threads the "anti-bias tire" posters coming out of the woodwork to discredit the original tires, or those getting cars judged, trailer queens, retired and slow driver, etc...lol. Been running bias ply on my cars for over 10 yrs with no issues.   Cars handle and drive fine.  I drive my Nova the time and just got back from a 100 mile trip yesterday to a show...  75-85MPH no problem on the highway, same as my Eldo. Can let go if the wheel for a second and straight down the road.  Most post their opinions with no proof, as there is nothing out there conclusive.  These posts pop up all the time on various car forums, so get some popcorn and enjoy :)

Not sure why so negative as who cares what others do with their cars, or if they want to get judged...you know "trophy hunters"....lol, the sole reason I go to any show <joking> .  After I was born, radials were the norm, but I love driving the old cars as original on the bias ply tires!   
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: n2caddies on August 09, 2015, 10:45:14 PM
I'm curious if anyone has experience good or bad with the new tires from Coker and Diamondback that are radials built to look like bias ply. Do they give the original stance of the factory bias ply and how does the judging treat these as far as point deductions for being radials?  I would think they would be treated the same as new repop batteries that look like original tar top Delco but are really maintenance free. Thanks!
Randy

There was a pretty lengthy discussion on the AACA forum about them.  AACA will still deduct the 5 points per tire for them, including the spare.  I saw a set at Hershey and they do say radial on them, therefore, if the AACA judges can identify them, they will deduct.

I'm not 100% sure what the CLC's policy will be on them.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Walter Youshock

Was usually a 1 point per tire authenticity deduction.  Personally, if there's 2 cars very close in quality and one has bias and the other radials, the bias car is the more correct and should score higher.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Maynard Krebs

OK; peace to all of good will.

"For the record", I did own a '66 Hardtop Sedan DeVille about a decade ago.   It was a driver that I owned for about 2 or 3 years.
Since it was "a driver", it had radials on when I got it, and were still on it when I sold it.   Though my experience with bias-plys was largely with Brand X and Brand Y before owning this '66 Cad, I had no motivation to put bias-plys on it....even if it needed tires.

Some like their roast beef medium, some rare, and some well done.   Peace.