News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Ultra Rare 1974 Fleetwood Brougham Talisman w/leather

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, March 10, 2016, 06:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.Smith

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on March 14, 2016, 09:33:53 AM

That said, in one of the Facebook Cadillac groups I follow, it has been mentioned that the car has been sold and was on its way to its new owner over the weekend.  Hopefully the poster in the FB group will chime in shortly.

Turns out it wasn't a running car.   My buddy and I are having issues with the seller too.  So the car is not home yet. 

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Sorry to hear that.

I hope it's nothing serious.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

D.Smith

More frustrating than anything at the moment.   I'll keep you posted.

76eldo

Where does it have to go?

I have a truck and a trailer.  Im in the Phila, PA area.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

D.Smith

Quote from: 76eldo on March 14, 2016, 05:18:36 PM
Where does it have to go?

I have a truck and a trailer.  Im in the Phila, PA area.

Brian

Thanks Brian, but we have a truck and trailer too.   The problem is the seller is working with another buyer he didn't tell us about.  So I'm not sure if he is playing us or just inexperienced.

76eldo

I missed a nice 64 Riviera in January to a jerk like that.

Also a client in Norway lost a Hess Eldo because he didn't want to do a deposit.

Sometimes the first guy to show up with the cash gets the car.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Scot Minesinger

When I sell a car, the first person with cash gets the car always.  I was burned once by not selling to a guy with cash based on the commitment from an earlier buyer that did not materialize.  I tell every perspective buyer this information, so it is a level playing field. 

BTW it is nuts that any Cadillac made in the 1970's that does not run is sold for more than 5k.  The seller should have had this car running.  I could see not ready to make a highway trip, but not running and driving, that is crazy.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jon S

Quote from: Jon S on March 11, 2016, 10:42:04 AM
Did you notice that both rear body filler panels are totally missing - most shots start at missing piece forward.

I thought the pictures/narrative were a bit deceiving by not focusing on/mentioning the missing rear body filler pieces.  Do those break based upon age, weathering or some combination of the two?
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Scot Minesinger

Jon,

Yes the 74 thru 76 rear fender rubber body pieces if original are usually gone even on a very well cared for Cadillac.  Replacements that look close are available.  One of my friends got his replaced by the dealer in the early 1980's and wow they look original but are of infinitely better quality.  Too bad those are replacements are not available.  If you ever come across a 74-76 Cadillac with original (that you know for sure) rear fender to bumper rubber filler pieces, you probably should buy the car.

Jon S

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on March 15, 2016, 08:38:28 AM
Jon,

Yes the 74 thru 76 rear fender rubber body pieces if original are usually gone even on a very well cared for Cadillac.  Replacements that look close are available.  One of my friends got his replaced by the dealer in the early 1980's and wow they look original but are of infinitely better quality.  Too bad those are replacements are not available.  If you ever come across a 74-76 Cadillac with original (that you know for sure) rear fender to bumper rubber filler pieces, you probably should buy the car.

Thanks Scot
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Filler replacement is pretty much a given on any 70s model Cadillac which continues to extend into later models as they successively age.

The two factors chiefly responsible for filler deterioration are age and heat/UV.  Mileage is irrelevant.

Not many 70s cars left with original fillers in good condition today but those that do, chances are they reside in colder climate areas.

64\/54Cadillacking

Why did GM even decide to use body fillers during this time? Was is for crash safety measures? My 78 Lincoln Conti uses a rubbery material to fill in the gaps where the bumper sticks out from the body, and it is still pliable and soft but obvious cracking is present in certain sections. But none the less, it's definitely not the crappy plastic filler that GM used in the 70's and 80's.

BTW that Talisman is lovely inside. 8) This is what luxury was all about, a plush, super comfortable place to be while being transported in silence. I rather have this car than a new CT6 that's for sure. At least this Cad has real presence and a quality to it that is long gone in modern cars.

Thanks for sharing.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

It was not plastic; it was a rubber based compound that needed to be suitable for painting. Flex agent needed to be added to the lacquer before painting these parts.

Reproduction fillers are made of hard plastic which the manufacturer claims will never crack. Time will tell but having recently done the job on my 16,000 mile '77, I'm just as happy never to learn the answer.  ::)

The necessity of these parts was to be collapsible to meet the federally mandated (since repealed)collision standard in which no damage was to result as of frontal or rear impact @ 5 mph.

Bumper assemblies were mounted on energy absorbers which allowed the bumper to push into the fillers. Making them out of rubber prevented the bumper from transmitting the movement into the quarter panels or front fenders. 

Cannot comment if the materials used by other big-3 manufacturers was any better than that used by GM.

Walter Youshock

This is when Cadillac lost its multi-piece anodized aluminium grille for chromed plastic.  Pretty sure it was for 1973 and it was attached to the front t bumper so it also moved in a bumper tap.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Scot Minesinger

The back seats in a CT6 can be ordered to recline, and with a V-8, I think the CT6 would be my preference over a 74 Cadillac.  If you go back to the 60's it gets close - to each their own.

Keep us all posted on the fate of this rarely optioned Talisman.

64\/54Cadillacking

My 72 had a plastic grill, so I am guessing around 1969 or 70 was the last time Cadillac used anodized aluminum for it's grills.

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on March 15, 2016, 07:38:39 PM
The back seats in a CT6 can be ordered to recline, and with a V-8, I think the CT6 would be my preference over a 74 Cadillac.  If you go back to the 60's it gets close - to each their own.

Keep us all posted on the fate of this rarely optioned Talisman.

I hear ya, but a 65 Cadillac Fleetwood Bro with real wood trim, pull down trays and foot rest, would knock the socks off a CT6 in terms of size, presence, luxury, quality and comfort. I know styling is subjective, but there's no denying that a 65 Fleetwood blows away a CT6 ( Man I hate saying that name) on the styling front and overall class. 8)
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Rich S

As for the "last" metal grill, my '71 Eldorado has an all metal grill. I've been told it became the plastic material in '72.

As for your comments about the most luxurious Fleetwood Brougham (or Talisman), it's really tough for me to choose one--although I'm rather partial to the high-backed seating of the '69-'70 models, but then the arched roof side windows and Opera Lamps drew me to the "new look" of the '71 Fleetwoods (and note its rear window backlight is completely the color of the Vinyl Roof, while in '72 it was outlined in a chrome-like molding, and to me the latter looks especially elegant since it accentuates the smaller rear backlight!)
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Maynard Krebs on March 13, 2016, 11:52:35 PM
Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Dan...with a black exterior...

BLACK???  YUCK!  Gets hot as hades and shows all the dust!

Yeah, but it looks GOOD when its clean.   8)

Same for dark blue.  I had a black 1970 fleetwood Brougham, a black 1995 Fleetwood Brougham and still have a dark blue 1996 Fleetwood Brougham.  they look striking when clean.

Of course it's pollen season right now so in less than 2 days they look yellow.  >:D
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on March 14, 2016, 09:10:33 AM
Because it isn't black.  8)

Amen to that!  ;) (or dark blue)

It has a nice interior. Looks a lot like my 1996 Fleetwood Brougham, but my 1996 has a lot more HP. But I don't have the footrests or that wide front seat leg space.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

1971 still has a metal grille. That was the last year.

The rear (and front) fillers started in 1973 on Eldorados and the problem with them de-materializing went well into the 1980s. Its sad and a detractor to the looks of a car unless they are replaced.

Real wood trim (on leather interior DeVilles and Fleetwoods) was last used in 1968.

Quote from: 64CaddieLacky on March 15, 2016, 07:59:15 PM
My 72 had a plastic grill, so I am guessing around 1969 or 70 was the last time Cadillac used anodized aluminum for it's grills.

I hear ya, but a 65 Cadillac Fleetwood Bro with real wood trim, pull down trays and foot rest, would knock the socks off a CT6 in terms of size, presence, luxury, quality and comfort. I know styling is subjective, but there's no denying that a 65 Fleetwood blows away a CT6 ( Man I hate saying that name) on the styling front and overall class. 8)
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike