News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Bob Lutz R/T comments on Cad marketing

Started by 13912, October 27, 2016, 01:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Sept 2016 issue of Road & Track had Bob Lutz lamenting the failed "life style" branding approach Cadillac has employed for longer than they should. A year or so ago there were a number of very negative comments on the CLC forum about the arrogance & almost anti car mindset of the young woman Cadillac brought on board as the marketing branding guru who had zero car experience & flaunted it. I tried searching for any print that she has hopefully been jettisoned. Does anyone know if there's been a change at Cadillac in this role?
Bob

David Greenburg

I guess we can Dare Greatly to hope for that to be true.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Jay Friedman

Lutz recently predicted that the car industry as we know it won't exist in 20-30 years.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

James Landi

Hello all,

I'm interested in some feedback, if you'll please indulge me.

I have to wonder just how much "ground" we gain with one of our major advertisers (aka Cadillac) when we verbally assault their people on this website.  I suspect we are all advantaged by enjoying the financial support of the Cadillac division of GM in our print magazine.  I say this at the risk of alienating some of you who feel a sense of freedom to express your indignation for  mistakes that cost the company market share, brand recognition, and perceived value.  I wonder just how much interest the corporate executives have in this club and some of the reactions expressed here.  I also have to wonder if there is any thoughtful, constructive articulation between "us" and each generation of the corporation.  And finally, while  Cadillac's approach is centered on boosting sales among young executive types, we were once young and were "hooked" by qualities and  the unique character of the brand. Frankly, I believe the company would be very advantaged by some of the opinions expressed here-- that is, of course, if members were part of a corporate focus group, field tests, or appreciative survey     James

55 cadi

I personally don't think that corporate Cadillac really cares what we think or say, they are after "new" buyers young buyers and we are old car buyers, meaning we already have a Cadillac, not saying we as old Cadillac enthusiasts won't buy a new Cadillac but we look at cars different than a lot of people look at them now, style, features, and so on. It shows by the person they brought on and went with, it's was surprising to hear that it was not a person who knows the auto world and is involved in it but that's the path they wanted to take. Time will tell what the next saga will be.
They should listen to what we say because we are big supporters of the brand and help keep it going, as well as the fact that a lot of our members do own a classic and a newer Cadillac.
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

James Landi

I entirely agree with you Mr. Oliver... not a week goes by that a member "posts" about the purchase of a NEW Cadillac, and aside from our owning old ones that we cherish, we buy new-used ones... so that simply "begs" the question again, "Is anyone at CORPORATE listening????"

The Tassie Devil(le)

I am afraid that Corporate Cadillac is only intent on selling NEW cars.

They have to maintain spare parts for older cars for a certain period of time, by law.   Not including the Warranty Period.

That is why they change shapes.   To make gullible people want to "keep up with the Jonses"

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

mario

http://begthequestion.info/

Don't take this the wrong way. It is F.Y.I.
ciao,
Mario caimotto

Quentin Hall

Dare Greatly sounds like a comic book private investigator to me. I can't understand why they didn't just release the Sixteen when it debuted in the same 532 quantity as the 53 Eldo. They would be cheap second hand cars by now. Now that is a modern second handy that I would like to own.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Steve Passmore

The majority of Cadillac club members do not visit this forum so I'm pretty sure the Cadillac Corporation doesn't.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Chuck Patton

Hello

I concur with Mr. Landi.  Mae West expressed it well, "It's not the men in your life that matters, it's the life in your men".  We (CLC) have to make ourselves relevant.
Appraiser-Broker-Consultant
Past CLC National Board Director
Past CLCMRC Director
Past CLC Motor City Region President
CLC 1959-60 Cadillac Chapter Director
CLC Life Member #23147

64\/54Cadillacking

I believe Cadillac's current advertising has been strange and really lackluster to say the least. I'm 32 years old, a millennial, probably Cadillacs target market, and When I watch there Dare Greatly commercials, it doesn't want to make me go straight to the dealership and test drive one of their cars either, but rather, fall asleep from the boredom.

Cadillac has really bad marketing people, trying to be low key, and dangerous just doesn't work for them in their latest ads. I would like to see Cadillac add some class back to their TV commercials. Something sophisticated, yet cool to attract buyers young and old.

One of my favorite car commercials ever has to be the Chrysler 300's of a few years ago. There Ads really brought some emotion into it, and gave respect and payed homage to the big classic luxury cars of the past.

Now this is how its done. The first vid being the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7uEXQIPVN0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VprByNCP_-4

Chrysler and Dodge really knows how to advertise. Even Lincoln's commercials as of late are better than the ho-hum, odd Cad ones.

Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Scot Minesinger

The Cadillac automobiles speak for themselves.

The Chrysler advertisement was fun to watch I agree, but there is no way it would influence me to buy one.  The Cadillac marketing may or may not be good.  Cadillac is not marketing to many of us on the forum that fix our own cars.  We may not be a great judge of their marketing.  In any event, it does not matter to me. 

I buy a car for the styling and power train.  No way is the purchase of a car dependent on the advertising.  Plus now I ad a new requirement to my style and engine requirement - dealer experience:  want a great warranty for peace of mind available (probably at extra cost and that is OK) and having my car serviced not to be a major inconvenience.

Have to go to a funeral (not immediate family, relative by marriage that suffered a long battle with dementia) today and if the weather is nice will drive one of my 1970 Cadillacs.  That will make a statement (right or wrong) that no new car could.

I'm sure word of this gets back to Cadillac, and the main thing is that they sell cars.  They need feedback and I'm sure have ways of attaining it, then adjust as needed to stay on course.

BTW, That CT6 is a great looking car.  I see it doing well. 

Cannot wait to see what the next Cadillac flagship is going to be that is not a 4 door sedan, hopefully a cool large V-8 RWD 4 passenger coupe or even better convertible w/retractable metal roof.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: 13912 on October 27, 2016, 01:31:16 PMA year or so ago there were a number of very negative comments on the CLC forum about the arrogance & almost anti car mindset of the young woman Cadillac brought on board as the marketing branding guru who had zero car experience & flaunted it. I tried searching for any print that she has hopefully been jettisoned. Does anyone know if there's been a change at Cadillac in this role?
I assume you are referring to Melody Lee.  She is still listed as Director of Brand Marketing for Cadillac.

Cadillac's goal is to sell new vehicles and today's marketplace is different from the one that existed decades ago when today's classics were being sold new.  CUVs/SUVs are quite popular, a market Cadillac only entered in the late 1990s, while the popularity of large sedans and coupes that were once Cadillac's bread and butter has declined.

Many of today's luxury imports are seeing record or near record sales in the United States as more buyers, especially youngerish ones, choose them over "old school" Cadillac.  Cadillac does okay with its CUVS/SUVs but it's going to take a while for the brand to shake its "land yacht" image when it comes to its cars.  It's not easy to "dare greatly" and try to take a brand in a new direction but they're trying.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on October 28, 2016, 08:43:29 AM
Cannot wait to see what the next Cadillac flagship is going to be that is not a 4 door sedan, hopefully a cool large V-8 RWD 4 passenger coupe or even better convertible w/retractable metal roof.
I'm wondering if it will be a sports coupe/convertible to compete with something like the Audi R8.

Bob Schuman

If my 2017 CT6 Twin Turbo is any example, Cadillac is well on its way to giving the whole luxury market to its competitors. Three weeks after delivery the transmission locked up and would not shift. Cadillac told the dealer to clear the code, and if it shifts, give it back to the owner. That happened, and one week later the same failure occurred. It has been in the dealer's shop for one week being repaired. The transmission also gives very jolting 1-2 and 2-3 shifts most of the time.
My dealer has always been excellent in all matters, and is trying to resolve this problem, with what I see as very poor support from Cadillac. Their system at Cadillac.com would not accept my email about this problem, a telephone call to Customer Service just got me platitudes and a comment not to worry, my car is still under warranty (after three weeks and 650 miles, I sure hope so).
This new eight speed transmission impresses me as a product released for sale before being adequately proven. My previous daily drivers, a 2005 STS, 2005 CTS-V, 2013 ATS and 2014 XTS were all good cars. So far this CT6 is a car I will be afraid to drive any distance from home for fear of another transmission failure. For reliable transportation I can always get in my 41, 49 ,or 51 Cadillac and not worry about performance or reliability.
If Cadillac management ever look at our CLC Message Boards I hope they see this post. That is my real reason for "unloading" here.
Bob Schuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

66 Eldo

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on October 28, 2016, 08:43:29 AM
The Cadillac automobiles speak for themselves.

The Chrysler advertisement was fun to watch I agree, but there is no way it would influence me to buy one.  The Cadillac marketing may or may not be good.  Cadillac is not marketing to many of us on the forum that fix our own cars.  We may not be a great judge of their marketing.  In any event, it does not matter to me. 

We have a 2011 Buick Enclave as one of our primary daily drivers. It feels more like a Cadillac than some Cadillacs.

Recently is was at the dealer getting a warranty repair done and I received a new CTS Base 2.0 (4cyl) as a loaner. Nice car but it didn't feel like I was driving a Cadillac. Looked like one and had the badges but no "feel".  It was just  a GM car. Thinking of buying one someday  got tougher to wrap my head around when I found the window sticker in the glove box. Over $50k? Where? I would buy one but not for that price.
To me its a $35k car (CTS starts at 13kmore) which is essentially what a Base Chrysler 300 costs starts at. Chrysler's reliability isn't the best with some of its models, however I could see how a person in the market for a luxury car of this level would seriously consider a Chrysler 300 over the Cadillac CTS. About 13k cheaper and a better powertrain warranty offering 100k coverage.

In a few years, I hope to find an affordable used CT6 but I would keep it simple for price and reliability reasons. The 2.0 turbo is plenty of power for me and its a great engine. No sunroof, I just need leather, A/C and a good sound system. 

Rich S

Cadillac marketing has been trying to make a "social statement" through many of its ads, in an effort to appeal to the future "luxury car buyers," whose demographic apparently is tuned-in to such efforts. This has been acknowledged by Ewe Ellinghaus, one of their executives, in an interview I read. Personally, their current crop of ads do not appeal to me at all. I prefer auto ads that showcase the vehicle or their line-up. For what it's worth, I had my '13 CTS Coupe in for service, and I was loaned a 2017 CT6 Sedan 3.6 (with the six-speed transmission and Direct Injection V-6). The car was fantastic--rock-solid on the road, and it had plenty of performance to satisfy my urban commute. I had been "on the fence" relative to the CT6 Sedan, but this driving experience made me want one for my next car.
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Scot Minesinger

Bob,

Glad you told us, that is so unfortunate.  Being afraid to drive your brand new top of the line Cadillac on a trip is the exact opposite of what I would want.  Never hesitate to drive my 2007 CVPI with 85k miles anywhere.  Any warranty sold to me will be quite thorough.  I see mainly 3.6 CT6 Cadillacs on the road now.  Wonder how CT6 Cadillacs are selling?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

James Landi

Scott and everyone else who has commented so far after I raised the question, ALL of the commentary in this thread is PURE gold to Cadillac Corporate Management... If Cadillac ran the division the way Jeff Bezos runs AMAZON, they would have made sure "corporate" was wired into this blog site.  The customer comes first, and customer loyalty to the brand is golden.  I have to believe that at some point our club and contemporary management communicates with us...does anyone know for certain???   James