News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Anyone have these wheel cribs? May be safer than jack stands......

Started by chrisntam, February 05, 2017, 01:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: TJ Hopland on April 11, 2017, 09:00:28 AM
Because of the geometry of those units I don't think you could use a set on each end unless one end had wheels or slides.    It looks like the car moves enough during the lifting process that you have to allow the wheels on the ground to roll at first.   Was there any concern about the car rolling back while you were lifting?
There is a slight slope forward so the wheels are constantly touching the front bar. At least as long as the opposite wheels move freely. For me this worked out great and a lot better than expected.

cadillacmike68

Quote from: chrisntam on February 05, 2017, 07:07:15 PM
The metal ramps don't blow my skirt up, too big to store and I see no need to jack the car higher once on the ramps.

::)

Are you referring to your cars' skirts or your kilt?   :P

I have a pair or ramps. 1: not high enough and 2: after I got the driveway sealed and color coated, they slide around as if on an ice rink! There's only one place where I can put them, and that is where the driveway meets the garage floor. There is about a 1/2" step-up there which should keep the ramps from sliding.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

TJ Hopland

Quote from: CLC 30326 on April 11, 2017, 10:23:14 AM
There is a slight slope forward so the wheels are constantly touching the front bar. At least as long as the opposite wheels move freely. For me this worked out great and a lot better than expected.

How difficult are they to drive on?  In the video he looks like he kinda had to 'gun it' near the top then hit the brakes.   Did you experience that at all or was it fairly smooth to drive on?   

Do they have any sort of grip on their bases?   Or could they slide if you hit the brakes hard?

Would you ever consider leaving them set up and just parking on em?   Guessing not based on the video.    How are they to move around?   Can you fairly easily lift one end and lean them along a wall?   Or slide them under a workbench or shelf?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

For me it was just to slowly drive up. There was a natural stop at the stop bars and that was it. I can have the car parked on them if need be, no sliding or anything of the concern so far. I was thinking of fitting some wood below to avoid any sliding on the stone driveway, but it wasn't necessary. Gonna bleed the brakes when the weather gets better and then back up on the ramps and replace the coilsprings and the shocks on the rear. Don't anticipating any troubles there either. I will post a picture of this later (after eastern).

So been using the hydraulic ramps a couple of times now. And seriously thinking of buying a second pair. Its so easy to get the car up in the air and as I pump with my foot its very easy compared to placing a jack and standing on knees and hand pumping. I am of course using jack stands, don't want to risk having the car on top of me. One thing I noted was that it was easier to control the lowering when placing on the jack stands compared to my regular hydraulic jack. I could control each side and make a very slow descent by parts of inches. So all in all I am very satisfied.

Posting a couple of pictures when the car is in the air. Used the ramps in front and the regular jack in back. As you can see its high enough to work below the car.
I don't know if these are for sale in the states. I bought mine in Sweden.