News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Main and / or rod bearings failure in 1968 DVC

Started by cadillacmike68, May 06, 2017, 06:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Mike,
What prompted you to use studs instead of Head bolts?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

chrisntam

This is what I did:

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Bobby B

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on October 28, 2017, 11:50:12 PM
The crank company shipped the WRONG rod bearings!  (not even close)?#%^@#%#@$!$%@

Just a Simple Question....Who would install any bearings without checking them first?   ???  If you don't have the correct inside/outside bore gauges and/or micrometers, Plasti-gauge is at least better than nothing. Costly Lesson.....
                                                                            Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Bobby B on October 29, 2017, 10:10:28 PM
Just a Simple Question....Who would install any bearings without checking them first?   ???  If you don't have the correct inside/outside bore gauges and/or micrometers, Plasti-gauge is at least better than nothing. Costly Lesson.....
                                                                            Bobby

You're reading into the situation.

The replacement crankshaft came with a "matched" set of bearings. All in one 80 pound box.

When the shop opened the box to install it all, they found that the rod bearings were not even Cadillac 470/500 bearings, but instead looked like they were for a small block chev engine. So they had to send out for the proper rod bearing set. They did not try to install them.

Guess who gets to pay for the 2nd set of bearings???

Quote from: chrisntam on October 29, 2017, 12:24:15 PM
This is what I did:

OK, That looks neat. is there a fitting to block off the T until I can get a gauge set installed?

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on October 29, 2017, 11:11:27 AM
Mike,
What prompted you to use studs instead of Head bolts?
Greg Surfas

Greg;
A: Much easier to get the heads off again if needed.
B: Replacing my 50 year old head bolts seems to be a good idea. They have been out once already, and this is one area where you don't want to have any weakness in even one bolt.
C: They are stronger than head bolts.
D: Head stud kit was readily available while head bolt set didn't appear to be as easy to find. Of course it would have been better if ARP had put the correct size washers in the kit...

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Bobby B

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on October 29, 2017, 10:40:02 PM
The replacement crankshaft came with a "matched" set of bearings. All in one 80 pound box.
When the shop opened the box to install it all, they found that the rod bearings were not even Cadillac 470/500 bearings, but instead looked like they were for a small block chev engine. So they had to send out for the proper rod bearing set. They did not try to install them.
Guess who gets to pay for the 2nd set of bearings???

Got it... ;)

If it were me, that crank would be on it's way back to where it came from. Please have the shop check the crank NOW, before you even bother installing it. There are crank grinders, and there are crank grinders......
                                                    Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Bobby B on October 29, 2017, 11:47:04 PM
Got it... ;)

If it were me, that crank would be on it's way back to where it came from. Please have the shop check the crank NOW, before you even bother installing it. There are crank grinders, and there are crank grinders......
                                                    Bobby

This was a VERY LARGE SCALE crank refurb company in MN, They just screwed up and put the wrong rod bearings in it.

It went in fine once the correct rod bearings were sourced.

I'm going to give them hell for it and get a set of .020 over sent to me for use with my original crankshaft when it is is repaired.

I glad I was able to get that one. I bought it from RockAuto, but the vendor was easily identified. You just Can't get cranks for this engine under $400 anywhere else and that's WITHOUT any bearings, and usually not ground & polished. This one was less than $400, shipped with bearings (well at least half the bearings!) If you go look at Rockauto right now, you MUST send in your original crank FIRST now. That was immediately After I bought this one.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

chrisntam

OK, That looks neat. is there a fitting to block off the T until I can get a gauge set installed?

Just use a pipe plug until you get a gauge.

I just went to the parts store with the gauge and oil pressure switch, bought the fittings, Teflon tape and assembled it.  Normally, oil pressure gauges can be 1/8" or 1/4" pipe thread.

With the gauge, the oil doesn't pressure the gauge up for a few seconds after it starts.  Must we way down the oil pressure line....
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

A: Much easier to get the heads off again if needed. 
I take it that you have never tried to remove heads that are held down with a Stud Kit?

Okay with Copper Gaskets, or O Rings as in racing applications, as these don't stick, and rely on the stud pressure for total sealing, but definitely not with gaskets that stick to both surfaces.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadillacmike68

^^
Well, at least it will be easier to get the nuts & washers off than undoing the bolts in the block.  :-X
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

Quote from: chrisntam on October 30, 2017, 05:47:21 AM
Just use a pipe plug until you get a gauge.

I just went to the parts store with the gauge and oil pressure switch, bought the fittings, Teflon tape and assembled it.  Normally, oil pressure gauges can be 1/8" or 1/4" pipe thread.

With the gauge, the oil doesn't pressure the gauge up for a few seconds after it starts.  Must we way down the oil pressure line....

Chris;

What type of "parts store" did you go to, an auto parts store of or homeless despot type of store???
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

TJ Hopland

You would likely have the best luck at a home depot or hardware like store.   If you had an old school parts store with 'old guys' at the counter they may have it too but most stores can't look up or find anything without a year make and model and then it has to be a real car part which this isn't. 

Sensors on these engines are standard national pipe threads NPT.   Hardware and home stores should have plugs as well as adapters and T's in brass.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

chrisntam

As TJ said, Home Depot, hardware store and even local parts stores should carry these common brass fittings.

Yours should be the same size as mine,  it appears to be 1/4" pipe thread.  You'll need:

1 male to male fitting (one end screws into the block, the other screws into the 3-way noted below)
1 3-way female adapter (screw one end of the male fitting one port, screw your factory oil pressure sender into one and screw your oil pressure gauge sender into the third port)
1 pipe plug (1/4") if you need to plug the 2nd port until you acquire a gauge.

Add a little bit of Teflon tape to all threads and you'll be good to go.

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: chrisntam on October 30, 2017, 05:31:16 PM
Add a little bit of Teflon tape to all threads and you'll be good to go. 
Sorry, but using a thread tape is not recommended when installing electrical components as there is the possibility of compromising the passage of connectivity between the component and ground.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

chrisntam

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on October 30, 2017, 06:09:57 PM
Sorry, but using a thread tape is not recommended when installing electrical components as there is the possibility of compromising the passage of connectivity between the component and ground.

It gets grounded because the tape is cut by the sharp edges of the threads.  Just don't load it up like your strangling it....

Haven't had an issue using tape on any of my stuff.

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

Some people do like to load them up, and then rely on the tape to seal.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

cadillacmike68

Thanks gents.

I tried an o'reiley's today, and found the "street T" in too small a size! So I guess its off to the homeless despot for the fittings. I have a new sender that I bought to verify the threads. I am familiar with NPT, there's one or two standards for each thread diameter, usually called coarse and fine (thread pitch...) I did find a decent oil and volts gauge at o'reiley's (two separate gauges, because I don't need a temp gauge).
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

chrisntam

AFAIK, there is only one thread pitch for pipe threaded fittings.  I "think" each size has it's own pitch.  1/8" NPT "looks" pretty fine, 1/4" is a little more coarse, as is 3/8" and 1/2".  It gets progressively more coarse.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

cadillacmike68

I found the 3 brass fittings at the local homeless despot, so I'll being them to the shop tomorrow. Took less than 5 min vs over a half hour at o'reiley's (who didn't have the necessary fittings).

This was / is 1/4 NPT. That's the size of the Tube / Pipe and NOT the size of the threaded end..... and my 3/8 transmission lines use 1/2 in threads... Those crazy NPT thread standards. And we're supposedly on the "metric" standard and have been for 30-40 years ?????
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Glen

It is my understanding that pipe sizes are based on ID back when the standard was established.  Materials have become much better and the walls can be thinner than before, but the thread is on the OD of the pipe so the OD cannot be changed.  As a result, the actual sizes are larger.  For example ¼“ pipe is actually 3/8” ID an 1/2" OD.  its pretty confusing until you work with it for a while.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

cadillacmike68

Even  more confusing when these are just fittings for automotive sensors and there is NO pipe being connected.

I've looked at some oil gauges, and I DO NOT want a gauge that has a plastic tube with oil being pumped under pressure to the gauge for a reading. That is a good way to lose all my oil, when, Not if that plastic line breaks.

so I guess I need an electrical oil gauge (and a volts gauge to keep an eye on charging level).

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike