News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1958 Cadillac coupe Deville radiator issues

Started by Vania Stepani, May 20, 2017, 01:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vania Stepani

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum. I need some help with my 58, I seem to be having some radiator or water pump issues. overtime I take my car out for a drive. about an hour into the drive I start to smell radiator fluid, I pull over and theres radiator fluid everywhere

Ive just changed the thermostat... 180 degree and flushed the system with new radiator fluid 50/50 mix green

Please help.

Thanks

David Greenburg

Bad radiator cap?  I assume there are no visible leaks from radiator or hoses.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Roger Zimmermann

Put the cooling system under pressure (there are tools just for that) then you will see what is leaking. It can be the pump, the radiator, hoses, heater core...We have no idea about the condition from your car, (restored or not, maintenance) but you should know it.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Make sure that you are using a Radiator Cap that is suited for the opening in the Radiator, and not a later model type.

The original ones were designed to release the pressure, and excess water, but not return the coolant as it cooled down.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Vania Stepani

Hey everyone,

I found one issue and it was the radiator cap. The cap was only 13lbs, which needed to be 16lbs because my car came with factory AC.
This isn't the only issue so, I've decided to replace all the hoses and and recoil the radiator.

ramcharger

1958 Cadillac series 62 coupe,19691/2 dodge Super Bee A12, 1968 fiat 124 coupe

fishnjim

Might also be the water pump.   There's a vent hole behind the fan pulley.   When the seal leaks, water comes out.   You can lose fluid slowly while driving and then when the level gets low, it'll overheat and boil over everywhere.   There should be a tube on the cap outlet to direct the overflow down to the ground.   Can be replaced if missing when radiator fixed.
I thought I had a radiator leak in mine, had the rad recored, put it back, and did the same thing.  I changed the hoses and it still leaked.   That's when I found the pump leak.   

Vania Stepani

Ive decided to Rebuilt the Radiator and the water pump, I'm also going to replace the fluid to a waterless Evans fluid. what are your thoughts?

Cadillac Jack 82

I had a similar problem in my 57 and it ended up being a faulty heather core.  I routed the hoses back into the water pump and the engine stays nice and cool.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper