News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible Overhaul

Started by jdkskyking, September 05, 2017, 07:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdkskyking

Welcome to my money pit...

I'm installing a dual exhaust system on my Eldorado.

jdkskyking

Rebuilt the engine last year.

jdkskyking

Lots of welding to add a X-pipe.

jdkskyking

jdkskyking

jdkskyking

Once I started taking things apart i decided to replace or overhaul various items based on their location, age, or how difficult they are to access. The brake master cylinder was filled with crap so I bought a new one. While I had that removed I decided to exchange the hydro-boost unit...

Received a reman hydro-boost unit from Midwest Remanufacturing. Installed it and master cylinder and pumped the brakes a few times while bleeding the lines.

Now the hydro-boost is leaking fluid and I haven't even run fluid through it yet. It must be residual fluid from reman/test process but I guess it will need to come back off and have a seal replaced.

Any info on this issue would be greatly appreciated...

mario

mr. king:
hi, my name is mario. i have been looking at the estopp unit for my son, a paraplegic, for some time.
he is not able to use the foot operated ebrake. is yours operable yet? do you like it? i presume there is enough room under the floorboard as they have specific dimensions to mount it.
thank you.
mario caimotto

jdkskyking

I just mounted it yesterday. As I progress with that project I'll post updates.

jdkskyking

Pipes run
Parking brake connected E-stopp.

mario

Nice, thanks for sharing. I'm guessing  you will remove the e brake pedal?
ciao,
Mario caimotto

jdkskyking

Yes, I'd like to use the space for s stereo speaker.

parcoo

i just bought a 1976 cadillac eldorado convertible that i`m going to start restoring, i would love to see your progress or have any tips on potential pitfalls, it runs fairly well but needs body work and the top won`t work so any ideas mike

jdkskyking

I'd be glad to. My experience has certainly been trial and error.
Just found out I can add a 3/16" spacer to the front hub do the stock wheels will clear the Wilwood caliper upgrade. I found a supplier for concentric hub spacers for the Eldorado. Once I get them installed I'll post the source.
Had to send the rebuilt hydro-boost back to repair the accumulator seal. Hope to get it back next week so I can try this thing out.

jdkskyking

Haven't made much progress on the E-stopp. Car is off the jack stands and back on the lift. If I didn't mention before, if you're replacing the brake lines weigh the benefits of going with stainless. I replaced everything with stainless and am still struggling with little leaks. I guess steel is much more fore giving.
I've added 5 mm spacers to the front hubs which now clears the Wilwood Caliper upgrade. I also used ET Lug nuts to ensure I engaged enough stud threads. I'll try this setup for a while but because the design is that of a hub-centric and I've pushed the wheel out by 5 mm, I need to stay on top of the lug nut torque. The Wilwood Caliper upgrade may not be worth it in the end. Too bad they didn't make the caliper a little smaller...

tc76ldovert

I really like exhaust you fabricated, I hope you don't mind but plan to take pictures of your work to my exhaust ship and ask them to recreate it. Which mufflers and resonators did you go with? Was it toi harsh/ loud without the resonators?
Thanks,
Tom