News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1960 Sedan Deville Project - MidwestIsBest

Started by midwestisbest, August 13, 2017, 02:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwestisbest

I purchased this 1960 Sedan Deville in September of 2016.

It's in decent shape. The floors are solid, 90% of the trim is there, windows intact trunk solid. The interior is there but will be replaced eventually. The windows seals were bad and the carpet was WET upon inspection. I ripped it out immediately. The dash is cracked in several places. No surprise there. This is a non-AC car.

There was one caveat:

The motor that WAS in it, had been CUT out! They had taken a saw to the portion of the frame where the motor mounts sat!

Fast forward to December of 2016 and I was able to locate a 390 and transmission from a '62 Cadillac that had recently been pulled. I rented a van from UHaul and made a 3 hour trek to pick it up.

I still had some engine accessories to buy, which are en route soon. The car came WITH the original driveshaft, generator and some odds & ends.

The latest question, which I think I've solved has to do with the transmission mount on the rear crossmember. Remember, the car is a '60 BUT the engine & trans are a '62. And according to the internet, there are two distinct transmission mounts!

I just ordered a mount for a '60 yesterday. BUT after looking at the bottom of the transmission, I may have to order the '62 mount.

I've found some resources on the facebook and have a 1959 & 60 shop manual but thought I'd formally introduce myself here and hope to gain some valuable knowledge.

Up next, I think is tackling electrical. According to the previous owner, it was driven to the spot I purchased it from. So, my hope is that most of that is still intact.

The barn in the photos is mine.

Thanks.
W Seipel

midwestisbest