News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

429 Quadrajet manifold/carb

Started by aussiejohn, September 11, 2017, 07:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aussiejohn

G'day from Down Under. I have a 1964 De Ville with the Carter four barrel and want to update to a Quadrajet as is found on the 1967 models with the 429 engine. The Carter is pretty worn out and I'd rather put the money into a Qjet but need the manifold to suit. Can anyone help? Thank you.

aussiejohn
aka J. Smith
Highett, Victoria
Australia

V63

Look into after market fuel injection, fitech or FAST! These are wonderful systems you can install in a weekend. Many videos on you tube too. OUTSTANDING performance, economy and smoothness!

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

G'day John,
The Quadrajet is a great enhancement for the 429 motor, however the 67 intake (you also need the valley cover, the transmission kick down switch  and the AC brackets) only fit the 66 and 67 cylinder heads. If it is not an increase in performance you are after I might suggest rebuilding (including all shaft bushings) your Cadillac AFB. It is a 625 CFM version and when in good shape is Roo-proof.
Cheers
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

aussiejohn

Greg,

Thank you for your intimate knowledge of the 429 engines, I did not know that the later heads were different. As much as I would like to go to EFI as suggested by V63, it is out of my price range. I will find out if my Carter can be rebuilt here. The only other option is to use a spacer plate on the manifold that will fit a Qjet, but that plus a new carb will likely be more than having the Carter rebuilt. I am not after performance (I have a Corvette for that!), I just want a newer, better carby than the AFB.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn

V63

Th AFB is really a great carb, as carbs go. maybe get a new edlebrock that is essentially an AFB (improved) clone?

Jeffrey Burland

Greg, I'm curious as to how only the 66-67 heads are able to work with the 67 intake. I thought 64-67 heads were the same castings with only the 67 having a different rocker setup. I see from the MPB the 66-67 AIR heads are special due to fittings.
Jeff Burland, Just one guy with too many 54-76 restorables and parts to list
https://www.facebook.com/WillingtonCadillac/

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Jeff,
You are correct regarding non-air cylinder heads.  It was like 15 years ago when I did my '66, and the research I did then told me about the restrictions to 66/67 cylinder heads.  I don't remember the specifics, but at the time it was solid ninformation.  Perhaps if you have the time and the parts you might try mocking up a '67 intake on various block/head combos.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Jeffrey Burland

64-67 heads are identically cast. 63-66 uses the same intake. The only difference when using a 67 on a 64-66 engine is to use the 67 valley cover (and tube) which has the indentation in the middle since the intake sits lower on the engine. A 66 air cleaner top can still be used , but the bottom should be from a 67, since it sits lower and is formed for the Q-jet.

Yes, if you have a 66-67 California engine with A.I.R. pump and tell tale orange closed oil filler cap, you can only use 66-67 A.I.R. heads rather than drilling and retapping regular 64-66 heads.

I have both the intake and valley pan with correct screw and tube if need be.
Jeff Burland, Just one guy with too many 54-76 restorables and parts to list
https://www.facebook.com/WillingtonCadillac/

60eldo

I have a 67 eldo  429, Is that the carb you need?
Jon. Klu