News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 Eldorado Brougham SOLD

Started by Roger Zimmermann, October 20, 2017, 10:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

This time, I don't need more space but I would like to have one car less. A good candidate is my 1957 Eldorado Brougham. Here are some details:
1957 Eldorado Brougham #230, most probably imported in 1958 by a private person, low compression pistons and speedometer in km. Frame-off restoration finished in 1991, still on air. Tires are from Diamondback. Comes with most vanity items, some spare air suspension diaphragms and the tool to test them. the dash was restored by Just Dashes some years ago; a new electrical wiring for the engine and dash was installed 9 years ago. There is more to tell about what was done to the car since I have it but it would be boring. Let me know if you would like to have more details.
I'm thinking at a selling price of CHF 140'000.- which is about $ 144'000 at the actual exchange rate. Expensive? Yes and no when I'm looking at Broughams needed a full restoration.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

Not even one question about that car, even if you think it's too expensive?
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Cadillac Jack 82

Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Roger Zimmermann

Thank you Tim for your comment!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

carguyblack

I've only had lowly 1956's, so I didn't think I was allowed to make a comment. But since you insist, what a gorgeous car! This would be my car of choice if I had a genie in a bottle.
You are right about restoration of one of these cars. IF you could even locate parts for a "project car" you might need, it all would be so price prohibitive that most wouldn't even venture at it.
I hope you can't sell it ( I'm just joking) as I foresee a serious case of sellers remorse once that baby leaves for the last time!
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Roger Zimmermann

Chuck, thanks for the comments! Probably I was fortunate enough to restore that car long ago, parts prices were still not over the roof. By the way, as the exchange rate changed a little bit since I published this ad, the price in US $ would be reduced by $ 4000.00!
I also know that it will take some time to sell it because at this price, would be buyers are not making a line in front of my door!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Beautiful car. I can honestly say that the only thing preventing me from buying it is money!
Money to buy it...... money so ship it...... money for a place to store it.......... money to buy something nice enough for my wife so that she wouldn't me upset I bought it............ money for....
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

DBDB

Well , down here in Europe ( I am in Belgium )this model is unknown .I  had one in 1994 and i  sold it ( to Holland ) and bought a 1950 convertible and with the convertible i  have much more success .People love to have a ride in it when the weather is nice and i used it last summer in a musical where i brought the main actress on stage in the play .
Your car is a very nice car but in that price range it will not be easy to sell here in Europe maybe in the US but then the import duties and shipping will be expensive but i wish you the best in your sale .

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Roger:

As you know, I have seen your car at the Grand European and it is
a beauty!  If I were not short of space (none available) and $$ I
would not hesitate to purchase it.  A person certainly could not cover
the restoration costs (maybe half) for your asking price if they
purchased a Brougham needing a total restoration.

Good luck to you.  I'm sure it will sell you just need to find the right
person, which will take time.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Roger Zimmermann

Yes Mike, I remember that GE 2008 in Speyer when we met us! I should have add that the Brougham got the award "best 1945-59 car". I have no pressure to sell it (or my '56 Biarritz) and I know I have to be patient.

@ Daniel: convertibles are always attracting more attention. Even my former '56 de Ville had more people looking at it than at the Brougham. However, there are more people in Europe knowing that model as you would think. Usually the pocket change is making the difference at knowing it or purchasing it!

Anyway, thank you for the various comments!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

59-in-pieces

Roger,
It has long baffled me why these cars have not had a huge following, regardless of which side of the ocean you come from.

They can be considered a "hand built" car, with every known luxury of the time, with extraordinary styling setting it apart from any others, let alone how very few were made and still survive.

As with other such unique offerings, it will take time to find a kindred spirit who loves these cars.
I speak only for myself when I say, if time is on your side - don't drop the price because of impatience or disappointment.
The car is by all measures - worth it.

I admire your car.
Personal note - I collect 59 Eldo Biarritz which have very similar - almost identical - hub caps.
And there is where reality set in when I first checked out the Brougham wheels.
Eldo's have fancy stamped caps - Broughams have solid wheels in the shape of my hubcaps. SURPRISE SURPRISE to me.
And that alone was enough for me to know that the Brougham was a very special car.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

INTMD8

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on November 01, 2017, 03:20:49 AM
Not even one question about that car, even if you think it's too expensive?

I don't think it's too expensive. If you can owner finance for 20 years I'm a buyer! :D

Beautiful car Roger.

Maybe try listing on Hemmings for more exposure? I think you may regret selling this one however.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Ebay would be the venue to list the car with a lot of high quality photos. Worldwide exposure in minutes for a few sheckels- hard to beat. Better than a 10% auction fee! ;)

Lots of European buyers for a car like this- may work in your favor.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks for the latest comments. Yes, wheels from the Brougham are something special; the wheelcovers for the '59/60 Eldos and 60S were made to look like the wheels from the EB.
I have an eBay account, but the "for sale", no matter what, is not appearing at eBay in the US, just locally. I must have an address in the US to advertise in that country; I already tried some time ago.
For the moment, as there is no pressure, I'm not making ads in newspapers or sites dedicated for sale. I have time (however not decades!) and I hope somebody will show a concrete interest in the next future.
It would be easier if the car would stay in Switzerland; maybe northern countries like Sweden could be interested. The more people do know that this car should find a good home, the better!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Carl Fielding

Hello Roger , and all my fellow CLC friends ! This is a once in a lifetime opportunity ! Imagine : An extended Continental experience reminiscent of some Belle Époque expatriatism , knocking about in this Grand Chariot ! See , among us are some to whom $140,000 is a totally insignificant sum. I myself worked very hard to be one , made it , and got second guessed out of it. If such member is reading this , please do not hesitate. Now Steve B. makes mention of time , and the favorable alliance forged by its being on one's side. Didn't the Rolling Stones attest to this phenomenon re : a reunion anticipated "You'll come running back , you'll come running back , to me , eeee , eeee" ? Now  before I suggest to Roger that he contact Keith Richards (seriously , an "inside" hunch - if so time will have run out for present CLC members) , do not miss this great chance to meet Roger , and many other European Members such as Daniel from Belgium posting above. I communicate privately with these two fine gentlemen , and would treasure an opening through a members calling card such as this EB to meet them and other European Members. DO IT if in any possible way you can. I have spoken. And having spoken , will further hold my far too frequently over wagged tongue. But speaking of old British Rockers , when you catch me at the bar the next time , ask me about the incredibly improbable encounter I had with a well-known drummer. It was in line at an Acapulco Avis rent-a-car agency back about '79. I thought these guys always sent gofers.  - CC

Bobby B

Quote from: Carl Fielding on November 04, 2017, 01:52:20 AM
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity !

Carl,
I guess you're willing to pass up on that opportunity? In simpler terms, Go for it then!
                                                                                                          Bobby

Roger,
That Car IS Gorgeous!
                              Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Carl Fielding

Thanks for the encouragement , Bobby ! I am afraid Mother Nature , Father Time , and one particular well-meaning but inept second guesser have precluded that option for me. Oh , maybe one last European fling. Perhaps I will bring a far more humble , disposable Cadillac befitting my meager means. But for those to whom this EB represents around 1% or less of their net worth , that's just juice money. Loose money. But I do agree. Words from some other song express my sentiments rather well : "It shouldda been ME , drivin' that Ca-di-lac !"   -CC

Roger Zimmermann

hi! sorry for the delay. our server has a breakdown and i have a very limited access to internet.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

It seems that it was not a provider or server problem: last friday, an electrician came to the house I'm living into. He did some work for a neighbour; that idiot (the electrician) just disconnected our phone line! Of course, the provider could/woud not help; they said that there was a problem somewhere and it could take some time to solve. Without our intervention this morning, we still not have phone/internet/TV in 10 years!
Well, thank you Carl to write so well about my car and this opportunity! Anyway, not everybody is able to put the asked amount even if it's a Grand Chariot!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bobby B

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on November 11, 2017, 09:00:46 AM
Last friday, an electrician came to the house I'm living into. He did some work for a neighbour; that idiot (the electrician) just disconnected our phone line!  is able to put the

Roger,
I would've called him back immediately since he's responsible for your problems. He should be able to fix it since he's the one that caused the issue..... ::)
                                                          Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH