News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Art Gallery Spotting: Painting - 1957 Series 62 Convertible

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, October 25, 2017, 12:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A relative sent this to me today. Painting is in a gallery in New Hope PA.

Priced at $7,500.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Barry M Wheeler #2189

While I can appreciate the talent it took to paint this, it is much too personalized to be salable. It means nothing except to the guy leaning on the front of the car. Why would anyone else (especially a significant other) want to have a picture of a stud muffin and his junk car hanging in their living room? Especially when it might remind your bride (daily) of how much money you've dropped in YOUR rust bucket.

Another reminder that all art is in the eye of the beholder...
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Quentin Hall

I disagree completely Barry. To me it personifies the dream of Cadillac mystique. We all want to be that guy.
I'd be happy to put that on my wall.
So if anyone would care to buy it for me for Christmas, I'll gladly provide a postal address.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

The Tassie Devil(le)

Actually, I think that painting could be of Quentin.   Quentin, remember the day it broke down?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Quentin Hall

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

James Landi

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

On the same site, there is a great pic of Hugh Hefner in a 1955 Eldorado.
Looks just like mine!  That's right about the time that Playboy Magazine
was starting to go big.  The Marilyn Monroe issue and so forth. :)

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

James Landi

Mike.  that IS a terrific photograph...  Young Heff leaning out over the door of that fabulous '55, and a brilliant cityscape sort of gritty background.  Cadillacs were the featured vehicles in that "Mad Man" mid- to late 50's era... a totem to success, both in corporate capitalist America (with Heff) and the oil rich untamed, loosely American affiliated states and culture, like Newman in "HUD."

Interested in hearing comments/observations/critiques about the painting.

It's not often a clearly identifiable Cadillac product is the main subject matter in original artwork.

Thanks. :)

James Landi

Eric,

THe photo of the painting DOES NOT do the painting any justice.  It's "impressionistic"--- seems to be oil on canvas, yet it's hard to judge the painting's size and just how the piece would "show" in an appropriate location-- the photo is the picture is unflattering-- colors are flat, yet the impression/ mood is still achieved  .  IMO, the artist is talented-- has a great sense of visual proportions, and captures a dramatic mood of the Penn farm culture... its cultural landscape that is clearly the central subject matter of the piece.  The car is a terminal wreck, the young farm worker? local is young and in his prime, is driving the Cadillac "into the ground."  That shameless youthful shabby arrogance leaves me with the impression of future terminal regret.  Would I have the painting and hang it in my office?  Yes--- in large part because it speaks to who we are as aspiring young men, the persona we wish to adopt, and for me, personally, as a young college man, I was fortunate to drive a 5 year old Cadillac to college, but my prospects in life were far more fortunate than the young man in the picture.  ("There But For THe Grace Of God Go I")  It's a power piece of art.

Quote from: James Landi on October 26, 2017, 10:33:04 AM
... it's hard to judge the painting's size and just how the piece would "show" in an appropriate location-

I was told the painting is "large" - so I'm guessing it may be up to 3 feet wide, +/-.

Thanks for your thoughtful insights.

*Artist appears to have a website - Robert Beck. 

James Landi

Robert Beck is clearly a highly accomplished artist... the website certainly proves that proposition beyond a doubt, and I encourage anyone following this thread to see Beck's web site--- impressive artist.   If I were in the market for that particular painting, I would love to evaluate the "Cadillac" painting in comparison with the 8 or ten pieces he's featuring on his website--- I'd make the trip to visit his gallery and make that important comparison... there's a  fabulous play of vibrant inner light in the featured  works on the website  that doesn't come through and may be missing in the photo of the "Cadillac" painting-- I hope it's just a crappy photo.  The size of the painting makes it all the more attractive.   Happy day,  James

James...I was just looking at the website myself. You're absolutely right - Mr Beck's resume is impressive to say the least.  :o

Quentin and Barry...thanks for your observations/comments as well.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I went to the site and enjoyed his body of work. It makes one wonder just "where" he found that '57 to paint, as he has all the details right. And why he bothered to include the young man. I have always thought that having a figure in a landscape is superfluous. Eric, thank your relative for us for sending you the picture.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Tom Boehm

According to his website the painting is 24" x 32".  The artist's website is asking $6200.00

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on October 26, 2017, 12:41:50 PM
I went to the site and enjoyed his body of work. It makes one wonder just "where" he found that '57 to paint, as he has all the details right. And why he bothered to include the young man. I have always thought that having a figure in a landscape is superfluous. Eric, thank your relative for us for sending you the picture.

Will do Barry.  My mother is who sent me the picture. Some of her work is on display at the same place where the '57 Cadillac painting is which is how she saw it. (She has a website too if you're interested - same surname)

She mentioned that someone is looking to commission a Cadilllac painting with a '50s Eldorado and wanted to know whether the pink car was also an Eldorado. It was the first time she ever asked me a Cadillac question! lol!

Quote from: Tom Boehm on October 26, 2017, 12:46:21 PM
The artist's website is asking $6200.00

I noticed that too. Perhaps she misquoted the price or that is the gallery price since a commission would be involved.

James Landi

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on October 26, 2017, 12:41:50 PM

Dear Barry,

I respectfully disagree--- the young, healthy man in front of the decaying old abused Cadillac in this agricultural landscape is an important commentary by this artist-- clearly a significant choice, in my judgement. Happy day,   James

Quentin Hall

See, I grew up listening to Tom Waits.  For me there is a beauty in the worn and weatherbeaten. I'd rather old cowboy boots than new.
The damaged and the broken has integrity more than an unloved pristine toy. Resurrection is forgiveness. I love finding something that others say has no value. Someone's junk is my saviour.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Rob Leech

Good Grief you guys are deep, bartender, bring me another beer.
Rob Leech 1956 Eldorado Convertible