News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1960 Cadillac Frontend Parts, Where to Buy

Started by Scott Halver, November 15, 2017, 11:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Halver

Hello, I'm ready to rebuild the frontend of my 1960 Cadillac but don't know WHERE TO BUY THE PARTS ?   Naturally I would like to buy "made in the USA" .........   I see several companies with "kits" for most of the parts needed.   I called one company and they said the parts were from a mix of vendors.   Your past experience is greatly appreciated !!

I need: Upper & Lower Ball joints, Upper & Lower Bushing and Shaft Kit, (4) tie rod ends, drag link kit, idler arm, sway bar frame bushings/link kits, and a rear upper control arm joint for the top of the rear axle.  The gear box is in average to good condition-  parents probably replaced in years past, family owned since new.

Note:   I've not done much in terms of frontend work and am using a retired well-known frontend mechanic to do the work/help me.

Thank You, SHalver #24920

1960 Eldorado Seville, Grandfather Bought New
1970 Corvette Convertible 350/350

69Deville

Rare Parts has had what I needed for my 69. Most of the kits out there are cheap. I'm no expert so others may have more great resources.

http://rareparts.com/classic-vehicle
1969 Cadillac Deville Convertible
1966 Cadillac Series 60 Fleetwood
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham-sold :(

David Greenburg

Scott:

I have a somewhat eccentric neighbor who inherited a bunch of parts from her equally eccentric father.  The stash included several sets of NORS (Moog) ball joints. I got one set for my car, but did not try to get more because the prices were not great (she and her husband would jump on eBay and look at asking prices and conclude that must be what the parts are worth.  But if you can’t find a set elsewhere, I could try and reach these folks.  Also, unless your car had the pitman arm replaced during the recall in the late 70’s, I would recommend checking and replacing it while you are doing all this work.  I have discussed this extensively both here and in a 2005 Self-Starter article (search “pitman arm recall” for details). A GM replacement arm is very tough to find, but Rare Parts makes a beefy replacement.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Scott Halver

Hello Mirrione and David G,
THANK YOU for responding.   I sent Rare Parts a list and they got back to me already with what they have and the prices.....  ouch.   Rare Parts does not have any Inner Tie Rod Ends and cannot make them either.   Rare Parts has all of the other items (having them price the pitman arm, was not on our list but if re-called probably should do unless I can figure out if it was already replaced-  parents were taking the car to Cadillac dealer at the time of recall).

David, can you reach out to the people and see if they still have parts ?    in particular the inner tie rod ends ?

Other:  Rare Parts priced out an 11/16" and a 3/4" outer tie rod ends.   Does any one know which size is correct for my car ?    I realize that I should be able to measure the tie rod ends but 1/16" difference is really small.

Thanks, SHalver CLC #24920 

David Greenburg

Scott- The only front end parts I saw from these folks were ball joints.  As for the pitman arm, I think RP’s price is, or at least was, under $100.  Being a one-family car, the arm may well have been replaced.  Your parents would have received a letter from GM in ‘78 or ‘79 informing them of the  recall assuming GM had their address. I’m not sure you could count on the dealer to voluntarily bring up the recall.  This was one of the first mandatory recalls, and GM fought it all the way to the Supreme Court.  In theory, if the recall was performed, there should be a sticker under the hood.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Scott Halver

Hello David,
Okay, so your contacts/friends do not have inner tie rod ends for sale.    I re-contacted Rare Parts Co and they can possibly make the inner tie rod ends but need mine for a sample and it will take 2-3 weeks.....  so not great but is an option.   They do sell the pitman arm, $105.21 less 10% discount if I buy all the parts from them .........  so yea, about $100, an okay deal.    I appreciate your visiting with me and making the Rare Parts Co recommendation .......  after a couple of people say the same company you start to get comfortable.     Thanks, SHalver CLC #24920

David King (kz78hy)

Rare Parts are very good ones.  I am reseller, so I buy wholesale.  I can get you what you need and depending on how many things you need, can offer a nice discount over their list.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

jdemerson

Quote from: mirrione3 on November 15, 2017, 01:20:52 PM
Rare Parts has had what I needed for my 69. Most of the kits out there are cheap. I'm no expert so others may have more great resources.

http://rareparts.com/classic-vehicle

I'll support the recommendations for Rare Parts products. I bought an Idler Arm Assembly for my 1952 Cadillac, and was impressed with the (apparent) quality of the made-in-the-USA (Rare Parts) parts. My supplier was Car Parts Discount, also in California. I did quite a lot of comparison and checking, and their prices were as low as I could find for that quality. Good luck with your project.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Lexi

This summer I had a shop rebuild my stock '56 Cad entire front end using Rare Parts Inc. products. They advised that while they make a lot of the parts in the U.S.A. themselves, they will also outsource some items. My mechanic was satisfied with the quality and fitment of the parts except for a set of pivot pins. These he reported did not fit as well as my OEM set (which he cleaned up and re-used). While in the shop he demonstrated that there was a little more play with the new ones, for example. Don't know if your vehicle would use some of the same parts but I pass it on for what its worth. And yes, I did inform Rare Paarts of this issue so they can correct any irregularities that may exist with their product. Generally speaking, I found them very good to deal with. Attached is a picture of the 4 new pins which were not used for the rebuild.  Clay/Lexi

Scott Halver

Hello to All,
So I just ordered all of the frontend parts for my 1960 Eldorado from Rare Parts Co.   There are a couple of cheaper options but Rare Parts Co. was the overwhelming recommendation.  I appreciate the heads-up on the pivot pins and that they might be a problem.   I was able to go through my dad's detailed records and find that in July of 1978 they had the pitman arm replaced per the factory recall !! ...... grandfather bought the car new 

Rare Parts Co. does not have the inner tie rods ends and may be able to make a set if I send them the originals.   Does anybody have or know of someone that has maybe new original inner tie rods ends ?      I will post the question on the parts needed section too.

Thank You to all that commented !!    SHalver #24920

Ken Perry

Scott,The inner tie rods have a ball on the end that typicaly does not wear out,The two part piece they fit in does wear and comes with the drag link kit. That is why no one offers the inner tie rods. Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken