News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Hello from Massachusetts

Started by 1970DevilleLSX, November 16, 2017, 10:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970DevilleLSX

Good morning guys,

I have lingered a bit in the past but I have obtained my project car.  I have always been a huge old caddy guy and now I got one of my own.  I am going with a different approach than probably most of you, but hopefully I can learn some things from you guys.

I attached some pics.

She's a 1970 "pillared" sedan deville.  I got her for a very very good price as a extremely solid roller.  The interior is trashed and I aquired some new "pets", so that is my winter project and 1st on my list.  I am basically looking to get a reliable and comfortable cruiser on a budget and get it driving as fast as possible.

Budget wise, I am thinking of going with a modern interior from a 2000's deville but I do know that with the lower yoke on the rearend and also the lower trans tunnel could pose a problem using any other seat than factory.  Let me know otherwise and thanks in advance.  ;D

Purely on my budget standpoint and my own experience with them, my plan for the drivetrain is modern as well - I am going to source a 2wd donor for a LS & 4L80e combo.  Again, purely for the budget friendly aspect of it and also the reliability.

Looking forward to getting to know some of you!

Thanks,

B

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Welcome.
As everyone will say, get a manual. Many prefer paper but I like the cd version. I have it on my phone and computer. If necessary I just print out what I need.
The interior I understand. Mine is rough too. However may I ask your reason for the engine swap? Unless yours is blown you will probably be surprised at how nicely it will run. You can probably tune it up reasonably cheap. From many standpoints, including budget, I would suggest giving the original engine a try. No need to spend $$ for the conversion if you don't have to.
Also when planning a budget, it isn't the project, it is the Might As Wells that will kill you------while you have this off you might as well fix that, etc.
If possible get her up and running and drive it for a while. It will tell you what you need-and- what you dont.
Don't be afraid to ask questions here. Lord knows I have asked my share of stupid ones.
Post more pictures when you can and good luck!!
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

1970DevilleLSX

Art & Jeff, thanks for the replies.  I am seeing the cost already - just got a trunk emblem in driver quality for $50 shipped.  I spent my 20's working at a Shelby restoration shop, so I know what can be reused and what get's thrown away.  No "Might as well's" here haha.  I definitely know how that kind of thing can blow a budget to smithereens.  I am reason for the swap is that I bought the car for short money as a roller.  No engine or trans or driveshaft even.....otherwise complete and clean Oregon title.  I have a lot of experience with the modern LS engines so it is a no-brainer for me.  I can do the swap in a car like this for pretty cheap.  Whatever I can't source from the donor car I can make and modify others to work.  The real goal here is to have a running driving cruiser by next summer.

Jeff, I thought about getting a 472 and a TH400 and just getting it done that way - and I am not totally against that either.  If I come across a good running mill I will not hesitate to jump on it and get it done that way.  Whatever I get the best deal on will likely be what I choose to do.  I do like the reliability of fuel injection and electronic ignition - not to mention overdrive, but I also know these cars cruised pretty great with the drivetrain they were born with.

Thanks again guys

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: 1970DevilleLSX on November 16, 2017, 01:12:39 PM
No engine or trans or driveshaft even.....

Ok, I will give that one to you--- that's a pretty good reason to put a new engine it!
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Carl Fielding

HI Brian , and welcome ! My first thought is that the big block 472s and 500s are torque monsters , and already pull tall gears. O.D. with a LS might not be compatible with the existing long legs. Perhaps you intend to change rear end too. At that point however , it might be a good idea to find a '71 or newer (lower compression and run better on modern gasoline) , big block Cad from a good running rust bucket donor. Take your time , think it through asking many questions , and keep an eye out for the big ugly sacrificial victim.  - Carl

1970DevilleLSX

Hey Carl, thanks for the kind words.  Yes, 2.93's in the rear of mine if I am not mistaken.  If I went with OD I would definitely be considering swapping out the rear end.  Again though - I have heard that this kind of thing may pose problems with the low trans tunnel in this car.  Every day I am looking for that big ugly sacrificial victim!!  All in due time.  I have 4 kids and currently a father in law in the hospital after a bout with bacterial meningitis.  We also just moved into the house less than a month ago.  I promised my father in law that we would ride together in this caddy before we bury him!

1970DevilleLSX

PS - I started talking to the guy that had this car back in June.  I was supposed to close on my new house August 10th.... and after a lot of delays and stress- we closed October 20th.  Safe to say that it was a very stressful time.  All the while, I kept in touch with him and it was still available when I moved.  My new house has a smaller yard but a huge garage.  I asked him very casually one day "You wouldn't be interested in a lawn tractor would you?!?"  He said sure, send me pics.  Yes folks, I traded a lawn tractor for this beautiful hunk of american steel straight up.  Looking forward to diging in and asking questions and posting pics of my progress.  Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

A lawn tractor??? I think you won!
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Carl Fielding

Wishing your father in law a full and speedy recovery , Brian. And what a great upgrade : swapping square footage of lawn for square footage of garage ! You trade well ! I am sure each and everyone here hopes you stay on your "roll" for a good long run !   - Carl

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

You know, I got to thinking. I don't have a lawn tractor, but I do have a little riding mower.
I wonder if I could trade thst little guy for a Cimarron??
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Scot Minesinger

I have three 1970 Cadillacs, all RWD.  The B pillar SDV has a nice roof line. The least costly way to go is to buy a rusted 1970 RWD Cadillac for low cost with a decent interior and engine, then swap them.  Most of the time, rust is the problem, and in your case it is not.

If you change to an LS the trans (especially) and engine are tall and will require frame mods for the engine and even body (enlarging hump) for the trans.  All this will be costly and time consuming as you must know.  The LS engine/trans drive train are mainly in bucket seat cars or trucks that can accommodate a tall trans, the 1970 Caddy seats three across in the front with a shallow hump in the middle.  Bucket seats are used not only for style, but because it gives more room for the drive train.

I drove my 1970 SDV today and it was great - mainly a stock car.

Enjoy your Cadillac!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

1970DevilleLSX

Carl and all - thanks for the kind words.  My father in law is doing well, out of ICU and on a regular floor.  Just rehab to go and he will be home. 

Anyhow, a little update.  I have been talking to a guy about an hour away about what he has - which is a ton of caddy parts that include mostly stuff from the '72 SDV he had previously including the original 472 ........and a 1970 500 freshly built with an edelbrock intake, holley 700, a big cam and about 3,000 miles on the rebuild as well as a trans too that has also been freshly built (same mileage).  The price is a steal, just waiting for my xmas bonus at work to go and get it.  Very excited.  He had it in his '72 SDV that he was eventually chasing rust, rot and bad grounds to the point of getting rid of the car while still keeping some parts.  I think this will be the absolute way to go.  Happy thanksgiving fellas!