News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 Cadillac correct engine compartment detailing

Started by maitairon, November 16, 2017, 01:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maitairon

I am having my 1957 Cadillac series 62 convertible engine compartment restored after a recent engine fire.  My car is black and my question is, does the inner fenders get painted gloss black as the firewall does? Also, I believe the power steering bracket goes blue as the rest of the engine. The oil canister when stripped down shows the first color as blue, but most that I’ve seen are black. I’ve seen the lids painted blue but not the canisters. I could really use your help.  Thank you. Ron
1962 Eldorado
1957 Cadillac series 62 conv.

fishnjim

Best to pony up the $40 and get a authenticity manual.   Mine's down the garage right now, '57 & '58 together, so double check this before you paint, but what I recall from my '58, to answer your question, no the inner fender is not gloss, but semi-gloss.   GM used a 60% gloss mix for most all the sheet metal/brackets that wasn't exterior color.  The under side of the hood is also semi black.   I could not find the paint code, so I had the NAPA store mix from their gloss chip brochure.   I think there were 6 mixes from gloss to flat.   Not sure which middle one I used, but it came out good.   I still have the can, so can check if needed.   
The power steering bracket is painted with the motor, blue.

maitairon

Thank you for your help. I ordered that Manuel ,but it haven’t received it yet. I’m at the Palm Springs auction and there is a very nice original coupe de ville and that helped to. Thanks again. Ron
1962 Eldorado

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Ron,

The fender wells are one of the places 57 and 58 differ. In '58 the entire inner fender is black. In 57 the front half, the section adjacent to the engine is body color- without being rubbed out, while the rear detachable section is semi- black. The fire wall is body color including the heater box covers on non AC cars. But, AC cars had an AC box on the passenger side that's brownish composite resin.

HTH
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Jon S

Quote from: Ralph Messina CLC 4937 on November 18, 2017, 02:06:15 PM
Ron,

The fender wells are one of the places 57 and 58 differ. In '58 the entire inner fender is black. In 57 the front half, the section adjacent to the engine is body color- without being rubbed out, while the rear detachable section is semi- black. The fire wall is body color including the heater box covers on non AC cars. But, AC cars had an AC box on the passenger side that's brownish composite resin.

HTH

That's not entirely true. I've seen non AC heater boxes body color and also black. My purchased new 1958 came with a black box. Don't know why they came both ways. Have to assume the box cover was attached after the firewall was painted.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Osmany

maitairon

That’s a good question. The car had sat for awhile and I pulled it out of my storage area while it was on fast ideal and I heard a poof and flames were coming out from the fender wells. I believe the metal gas line to the carb had loosened and leaked on the intake. There was a damp area on the intake below the fuel line. Thanks for your help. Ron
1962 Eldorado