News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'91 Brougham

Started by Jim Miller, November 22, 2017, 06:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Miller

As I close in on retirement, I'm looking for something real ( definition - chrome, white walls, and a V8) to compliment my '41 when weather won't let me take the '41 out. Happens often in Northern Ohio. What's the record with the 5.0 engine?. This has 42,000 miles and very clean. I had a Deville in the 90's with the 4.9 which was great, but I see on the forum issues with other engines from that time period.
Jim Miller
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

cadman56

Good morning Tim,
I have owned a 91 Brougham dElegance since 94.  It had 46,000 miles on it then.  When it had 192,000 miles I took it into the mountains and damaged the transmission.
After returning home I proceeded to replace the 5.0 engine with a new GM crate 5.0 and have the transmission rebuilt.
I decided to completely go through the car as I planned to drive it to all the CLC GN and National Driving tours.  Attached is a picture of mine right after the total rehab.
To answer your question you will not go wrong with the 5.0 drive train in the Brougham.  You will find it to be bullet proof.  It has good acceleration and great gas mileage.  Enjoy it.
Larry

1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The 5.0 and 5.7 liter engines installed in 91 & 92 Brougham are Chevy V-8 which share the same engine block & heads.

Either is about as reliable as it gets.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

TJ Hopland

The 91-93's were basically the drive line out of the 1500 trucks from 87-95.  They had the TBI EFI systems that were pretty simple and reliable and since they built a zillion of those trucks parts are easy to find and cheap and people that know how to work on them are not a problem even at this age.   Can't say the same about the previous 5.0/307 Olds with the computer carb or the 94-96 5.7 Lt1.   Even the 4.5 and 4.9's were rare and complex compared to that Chev setup.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

I recall a 2008 NPR radio broadcast in which a Wisconsin man crossed the one million mark in a 1991 Silverado he owned since new, reportedly without ever having any major engine work done. I cannot recall whether it had the 5.0 or 5.7.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18826415 

smokuspollutus

Probably the best powerplant that was installed on that series car. The only issue that is specific to that motor is the valve seals failing resulting in burning oil, and even then its not a common issue. Good luck!

TJ Hopland

Intakes leak oil too but being a Chev parts are very common and cheap and as soon as they find out its a truck motor shops are not afraid of them.   At least by that time the rear mains had a 1 piece seals that didn't leak till they were totally worn out and they figured out where to put the 4 bolts in the valve covers to keep them from leaking.  Only took them was what 35? years to figure that out?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

JerRita

we have 2 91 Broughams The daily driver has 350K on the original 5.7 The other is a back up 5.0 w/ 125K when the first one rusts away The best Cadillacs made in decades JeRita attached is the 350K car
Jerry and Rita Trapani #15725 Caddymaniacs

For a time, the record holder for a car with the most mileage driven without major engine repairs was a 1979 Sedan deVille with 425 and mileage somewhere around 500K.

pwtomhave

I have a '91 Brougham with the 5.7 in it and it has been one of the most mechanically sound cars I have owned, never an issue.