News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

How many variations of the CLC Cloisonne Grille Badge are there?

Started by tripwire, November 22, 2017, 08:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tripwire

So, I was bouncing around eBay last night and I found a couple of different CLC grille badges up for bid. One with a yellow background & one with a red background.  Neither had the V6 included.  I know the one offered on the club website is fairly new since it has a V6 on it.  Now I'm curious to learn how many versions of this badge exist.  Can anyone fill me in?

WParo in VT
Driving now:
2013 CTS4 Performance Coupe
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1969 Cadillac Hearse, Superior Body
1966 Buick Wildcat Hearse
1957 Ford Thunderbird x 3, 1 E code, 2 D code
1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Sedan
1949 Mercury Convertible
1949 Mercury Coupe, Mild Custom
1936 Buick Special Sedan

35-709

The top one looks to be the first, I have one squirreled away for use some day.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

cadillacmike68

What I'd like to know is when are they going to make ones that don't get all gnarly & nasty in the heat & sun of Florida!!!
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Way back when we were thinking of "redoing" the first blue badge, Norm Uhlir had sent the order in (I can't remember the country the firm was located in.) and they mis-read the color instructions, thinking that whatever background color we had chosen was in their language, not English, and so they picked up on "blanc," instead of (possibly?) black. And so that is why we have a white emblem, because of a mistake.

Norm does not use a computer so he cannot see this post and make sure the story is 100% accurate for us, but the gist of the tale is that our "white" background is the result of a happy mistake.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

tripwire

Thanks for the input, guys.  I was thinking that yellow one was something a bit different so I put a bid in on it and as luck would have it I won it for the princely sum of $13.00 & $2.77 for shipping up here to far away Vermont.  I think it will look good mounted on the front plate on my black 40-5229.

WParo in VT
Driving now:
2013 CTS4 Performance Coupe
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1969 Cadillac Hearse, Superior Body
1966 Buick Wildcat Hearse
1957 Ford Thunderbird x 3, 1 E code, 2 D code
1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Sedan
1949 Mercury Convertible
1949 Mercury Coupe, Mild Custom
1936 Buick Special Sedan

nysdarkblue

HI, the newer badges are suppose to have been upgraded to withstand the sun. I have to wait and see on mine.
Bill Estes
1990 Cadillac Brougham
2008 Cadillac DTS
2015 SRX

cadillacmike68

Quote from: nysdarkblue on November 23, 2017, 03:41:51 PM
HI, the newer badges are suppose to have been upgraded to withstand the sun. I have to wait and see on mine.

Where did you hear that from? I'd get new ones if they are more durable, but I'm not spending over $200 for the same ones that will just degrade in a couple months.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Art Director

The V-6 designation was added to the CLC logo in 2007 after a board vote to recognize Cadillac's manufacture of a V-6 engine in the Cimarron and CTS. The ampersand in the club's name was added at the same time.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

cappy102

If these badges are true cloisonne, they should be very durable, since the cloisonne technique involves melting and fusing colored, powdered glass onto a metal substrate (usually silver or gold in jewelry-making). Obviously, any metal with a low melting point (like aluminum or pot metal) could not be used because it would melt during the glass fusing process, so the metal should be pretty durable as well.

My badge appears to have a brass or bronze substrate. It is possible that a combination of salt air and heat, for instance, could cause some corrosion of the metal, but I don't understand how weather could effect the glass.

Maybe I should only install the badge for shows if they're that delicate.
1957 Cadillac Coupe De Ville
1981 Moto Guzzi V50 Monza

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Folks,
I did not see this one emblem shown.

John Washburn
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Glen

Attached is a picture of the one I put on the my daily driver68 ELDO, probably in the mid 80s.   
If you zoom in you can see some rock chips but the colors are still good.  The only thing I did not like about it is the mounting stud is metric
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

nysdarkblue

Mine was replaced free of charge at this years Grand National. There, I was told they were better made. Like I said, I will wait and see how durable it actually is.
Bill Estes
1990 Cadillac Brougham
2008 Cadillac DTS
2015 SRX

cadillacmike68

Quote from: cappy102 on December 04, 2017, 05:57:02 PM
If these badges are true cloisonne, they should be very durable, since the cloisonne technique involves melting and fusing colored, powdered glass onto a metal substrate (usually silver or gold in jewelry-making). Obviously, any metal with a low melting point (like aluminum or pot metal) could not be used because it would melt during the glass fusing process, so the metal should be pretty durable as well.

My badge appears to have a brass or bronze substrate. It is possible that a combination of salt air and heat, for instance, could cause some corrosion of the metal, but I don't understand how weather could effect the glass.

Maybe I should only install the badge for shows if they're that delicate.

The center where the little crest fits over is (or at least was) a red plastic that not only warps in the sun it de-laminates from the larger metal shell. And the white gets real dingy and the bronze / brass lettering will not polish up, and being an old Army vet I can polish just about anything.

At nearly $50 each (back around 2001 or so) I'm highly disappointed in them.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

nysdarkblue

GENTLEMAN: THE BADGES THAT FADE CAN BE REPLACD FREE OF CHARGE, I REPLACED MINE AT THIS YEARS GRAND NATIONAL!
Bill Estes
1990 Cadillac Brougham
2008 Cadillac DTS
2015 SRX

cadillacmike68

Quote from: nysdarkblue on December 09, 2017, 03:28:04 PM
GENTLEMAN: THE BADGES THAT FADE CAN BE REPLACD FREE OF CHARGE, I REPLACED MINE AT THIS YEARS GRAND NATIONAL!

OK, what do we do, Write to National? I presume that want the bad ones back first???  If I can get my two replaced, I Might get a couple more for my newer cars...
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

nysdarkblue

Call Mike or Nancy Book and they will assist with the details.
Bill Estes
1990 Cadillac Brougham
2008 Cadillac DTS
2015 SRX

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike