Get the CLCMRC 2018 Calendar - AVAILABLE NOW!

Author Topic: Nothing rides or is more comfy than our old Cadillacs  (Read 702 times)

Offline gary griffin

• garygriffin@Q.com
    • CLC Member
      CLC Member #26430
  • Name: Gary Griffin
Re: Nothing rides or is more comfy than our old Cadillacs
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 04:27:55 PM »
I am not sure of that Bruce.  I have had 7  Lincolns since 1984. All purchased a year old and mostly lease returns. Used them for family driving and my construction business. In 1986 I was driving through a Lincoln sales lot in the 84 and they told me I needed a new car. A year later I bought my first fuel injected Lincoln and it had more power and got over 25 MPG on the highway. I retired with a 2007 and still drive it for transportation. In that era Cadillac was experimenting and there were several flops. Always loved the brand but more problems than FMC which uses same running gear on all full size cars.  Good enough for taxi or cop car or family car. Not as classy but more overall reliability considering all models. Cadillac had some marvelou8s cars but not constantly.  My Cadillacs are a passion and I am retired and can deal with the problems now. Still getting over 25 MPG in the town car too.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1942 Cadillac 6719 (parts car) (Gone)
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)

Offline The Tassie Devil(le)

• Administrator
    • CLC Member
      CLC Member #18992
  • Name: Bruce Reynolds
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2017, 04:38:14 PM »
G'day Gary,

I was referring to the Lincolns in the era of the heading, as in "Nothing rides or is more comfy than our old Cadillacs".   And by that, I am referring to old cars that I have had dealings with down here, like the 60's and those Lincolns with the 430 were beautiful cruisers, but awful thirsty.

Down here, we don't class old cars as old cars until they are old, that is at lease 40 years old, and still have Carburettors.   Heck, our average vehicle age where I live is around 20 years old.   My wifes' car is 20 years old, and still going strong.

When comparing these "old" cars, the Cadillac used a lot less petrol, but the plush seating of the '60's Lincolns was just beautiful.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline cappy102

• CLC Member
      CLC Member #30926
  • Name: Mark Butterworth
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 05:49:12 PM »
Tonnage Rules.
1957 Cadillac Coupe De Ville
1981 Moto Guzzi V50 Monza

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Name: Jeepers Creepers.
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2017, 09:07:43 PM »
G'day Gary,

I was referring to the Lincolns in the era of the heading, as in "Nothing rides or is more comfy than our old Cadillacs".   And by that, I am referring to old cars that I have had dealings with down here, like the 60's and those Lincolns with the 430 were beautiful cruisers, but awful thirsty.

Down here, we don't class old cars as old cars until they are old, that is at lease 40 years old, and still have Carburettors.   Heck, our average vehicle age where I live is around 20 years old.   My wifes' car is 20 years old, and still going strong.

When comparing these "old" cars, the Cadillac used a lot less petrol, but the plush seating of the '60's Lincolns was just beautiful.

Bruce. >:D

Its an Aussie thing..... HUH.

I still have trouble getting my head around the mileage difference for the USA to here.
I thought are car was fairly low mileage, (being at 120,000 for a 53 year old) when we bought it last year.

As for putting a car into storage for the winter......phooey.... that's just plain weird. LOL  ::)
Winter is the best time for driving these old beauties.  8) At least, it is where I live.
Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia
1964 Fleetwood Sixty Special.

Offline PatiCadi

• Name: Patrick Slarko
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2017, 12:47:15 PM »
Hi All ,
I had a Lincoln Mk 4 1976 and a Lincoln Town Car coupe 1977 . Both with crushed velours interiors . I drove them over 15 years down in Alabama .
The ride was even better than a today's mercedes S class ...
Thirsty , yes , but so comfy .....
I have a cadillac Eldorado convertible 1972 in France  and the ride is also a floating ..
I just bought a 1955 coupe de ville . And that's a smooth ride ! The biggest difference with the 70s cars is the sound  and the view on the chrome of the cockpit . So the match is 2:2 right now but as this is a Caddy forum , i.ll go to share my impressions here on my last acquisition .
Have fun with your babies and pamper the dinosaurs  !
Cheers
Patrick Slarko - France and Alabama

Get the CLCMRC 2018 Calendar - AVAILABLE NOW!