News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 Eldorado on CL - 00 Paint Code

Started by BJM, November 25, 2017, 09:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJM

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on November 27, 2017, 12:39:24 PM
That was my thought as well, ie: car ordered by GM bigwig insider.

In that vein, another possibility is Chateau Mauve Firemist (Code 98) of 1969 and 1970.

Original Michigan ownership/delivery outlet code might corroborate this but unfortunately 1968 build data sheets have been lost as Dave says.

It appears the car was delivered to a Marshalltown Iowa dealer because the dealer tag is on the trunk.  I live in Des Moines, Iowa. Marshalltown is a town of about 25,000 45 minutes northeast of Des Moines.

Marshalltown has no claim to fame manufacturer or such, such as Newton Iowa did with it's Maytag brand.  I once went through a small town in northwest-central Iowa that had a rich guy that invented something, his wife loved castles, so there are castles everywhere.  His home is a castle on the hill. 

My point there is perhaps - we may never know without extensive research - someone was rich enough in Marshalltown to want this 00 paint and wait for it. 

Iowa is snowy of course, and FWD would be an advantage in 1968.  I wonder who as a demographic purchased Eldorados?  It had to be one of the most expensive cars in America in 1968.  It was a personal luxury statement car. 

D.Smith

When I get time I'll scan the rest in.    Road Test Magazine Sep 68.

BJM

Just that page was interesting....

I just don't get it.  A Marshalltown Iowa Cadillac dealer gets someone walk in order a 00 code Cadillac.  Weird.

I just googled Cadillac Dealer in Marshalltown and there is none.  Once I get the car, I will pull the tag and do more research but those records are 50 years old, probably nothing around, but we will see. 

He has a title, so there has been titles since originally owned. In Iowa, they get turned in when you want a title in your name.  I could approach the Polk County Iowa office that processes these request or the DOT. 

In the case of the DOT, I have gotten a Bonded Title for a car I purchased out of state, and they have a good deal of information.  I am not sure how many times they get oddball research requests, but hopefully they can help. 

D.Smith

You could contact the Historical Society out there in Marshalltown and inquire about that dealership, when it closed, if it moved etc.

jdemerson

Quote from: BJM on November 28, 2017, 09:34:21 AM
Just that page was interesting....

I just don't get it.  A Marshalltown Iowa Cadillac dealer gets someone walk in order a 00 code Cadillac.  Weird.

I just googled Cadillac Dealer in Marshalltown and there is none.  Once I get the car, I will pull the tag and do more research but those records are 50 years old, probably nothing around, but we will see. 

He has a title, so there has been titles since originally owned. In Iowa, they get turned in when you want a title in your name.  I could approach the Polk County Iowa office that processes these request or the DOT. 

In the case of the DOT, I have gotten a Bonded Title for a car I purchased out of state, and they have a good deal of information.  I am not sure how many times they get oddball research requests, but hopefully they can help.

Can you get information from the Federal DOT on titles of old cars -- as old as 1968 or earlier? Or are you referring to a state office?  I would love to be able to get information on the original buyer (Boston area, I believe) for my '52.  Any advice about doing that?  Any hope? I do have complete information from 1977 forward.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan, 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

cadillacmike68

Quote from: BJM on November 27, 2017, 05:04:37 PM
OK Eric.  Like said, we each have our own opinions and I respect yours.  Thank you for your input! 

Ok, but Eric is correct. The 1974s were already being sold when the arabs retaliated on our support of Israel in the 1973 war late in 1973. There was absolutely nothing that could be done for 1974 and it took 3 years to get the 1977 downsized cars out.

Oh yes, the 472 was stroked by approx .26" to get it to 500 CID. It was not bored.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

BJM

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on November 28, 2017, 08:24:42 PM
Ok, but Eric is correct. The 1974s were already being sold when the arabs retaliated on our support of Israel in the 1973 war late in 1973. There was absolutely nothing that could be done for 1974 and it took 3 years to get the 1977 downsized cars out.

Oh yes, the 472 was stroked by approx .26" to get it to 500 CID. It was not bored.

Yes I agree. The 500 cid was the right choice for Cadillac in 1970.  Further research indicated the efficacy of the 500 cid.  Excellent choice and historically has held up as one of the world's finest engines.   

cadillacmike68

Bryan, you're going to get it - correct? It's a great color and too rare to pass up on. Let us know how it works out.

And even though mine is an RWD convertible, there is a lot in common with all the 1968s, so don't hesitate to ask questions.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

BJM

Hi Mike:
The seller and I have agreed on me purchasing the vehicle and he has pulled it from Craigs List (I  think).   He texted to just let him know when I was picking it up.  So I put one of my 3 Reattas on CL and now on ebay and zero interest.  Oh well.  I don't have the room for 4.  Hopefully the Reatta will sell. 

BJM

Just rejoined the club for 2 year stint.  I hope my Self Starter starts in January.  Will also be reaching out to the Iowa chapter soon. 

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Congratulations and best of luck with the restoration. Welcome back to the CLC!
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

D.Smith

Can't wait to see photos of it when you get it home.

P. Manoogian

You're all wrong. It's clearly 1961 Code 99 'Shell Pearl." 99 is before 00...more evidence... 8)
1961 Eldorado - Shell Pearl/Mauve
1962 Corvette 327 - 250 HP Automatic Triple Black
1963 Impala SS Convertible - 283 Automatic Black Red Gut White Top
1965 Impala SS Coupe  - 502 Turbo 400 - Crocus Yellow
1974 Corvette L84 4spd Coupe - White / Black Leather