News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'70 Deville - kick panel speakers

Started by grantatx, November 26, 2017, 11:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grantatx

Hi All,

It's time to get some sounds in to the convertible, so I went to a local auto audio store today and asked them what they recommended. Kick panel speakers are apparently the done thing, but they want to make custom kick panel enclosures to hold the speakers - these would run $600. It's a bit rich for my blood, has anyone else done similar for a lesser cost?

Many thanks in advance,

Grant

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Do you have the dash with stereo speakers?
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

cadillacmike68

Even if he does they are only 3 & 1/2 in speakers.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Yes, but perhaps some higher $$ speakers there would save cutting the kick panel.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Dan LeBlanc

If an A/C car, the passenger side could be a bit challenging with the inlet for the A/C right there.  I would assume it would have to protrude into the footwell area quite a bit.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

grantatx

Yes, it is an A/C car - I haven't had a close look at the kick panels, didn't realize there was an A/C inlet there. It does have the twin speakers in the top of the dash - I guess I will have to go and have a listen to some 3 1/2 speakers and see if there's anything that can come close to 6 1/2 inch speakers.

Thanks for the info!

TJ Hopland

What I have been seeing more and more lately is a custom built center console that sits on 'the hump'.   Depending on the space and design it can incorporate all the modern convinces like speakers, modern radio, cupholders,  usb charge ports.     The can be designed to be easily removed for security or shows.   One design I really liked the person attached it to a custom made reproduction carpet mat so it did double duty of protecting the original carpet and holding the console.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Dan LeBlanc

Speaker technology has come quite a long way.  Think of the sound you can get from bookshelf speakers in a home audio setup for example.  You should be able to get a couple 3 1/2" speakers that you could push quite a bit of power to and still be pleased with performance.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

69Deville

I have a dual coil 4x10 in the dash, a dual coil 6x9 in the convertible rear speaker well and a small box 12" in the trunk. I use a 5 channel class d amp with Bluetooth . I can connect via an iPad, it sounds great, and I didn't have to cut anything or remove the original radio. Looks completely stock.
1969 Cadillac Deville Convertible
1966 Cadillac Series 60 Fleetwood
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham-sold :(

grantatx

Thanks all, I see now there are other options. I like the idea of some high-end 3 1/2 speakers in the existing dash positions, a 6x9 in the rear well, and a subwoofer in the trunk. No modification required, and should be ample sound.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I went thru that on my 70 conv. There is almost NO room for any quality dash speakers. I put a split speaker in the back seat grille. The one I wanted was on long back order. I had to modify the seat frame for my second choice. There's just no room for a quality speaker with a big magnet. NOT a fun job.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

69Deville

WTL

Right now, I have 2 6.5 inch pioneer walmart specials in the passenger seat footwell, pointed facing down from underneath the dash.  I've wondered if quality 3.5s, with their more acoustically appropriate position, would be superior to larger speakers mounted feebly.  It's true that there doesn't seem to be a good option.  Can we stuff a slightly larger speaker in the stock dash location? 

cadillacmike68

Quote from: grantatx on November 27, 2017, 10:05:51 AM
Yes, it is an A/C car - I haven't had a close look at the kick panels, didn't realize there was an A/C inlet there. It does have the twin speakers in the top of the dash - I guess I will have to go and have a listen to some 3 1/2 speakers and see if there's anything that can come close to 6 1/2 inch speakers.

Thanks for the info!

The other problem that you will run into is that the magnets on the modern speakers are quite a bit bigger and most likely will not fit in where the current speakers are. If I remember correctly (this was a looong time ago) with my 19070 Fleetwood, I could get one new front 3 &1/2 speaker to fit but not the other. Can't remember which side.

Now, the old speakers had good magnets - the local speaker / HiFi exchanges here say that they are better quality than the larger more inefficient magnets today, so if your magnets are good, any decent speaker store should be able to put new cones and perhaps voice coils in your existing speakers. That's what I had done to my convertible (AM only one speaker up front & in back) because a new 6x9 speaker would not fit in the area behind the chrome grill on the back seat. And I didn't even try with the front speaker which I think is a 4x10 (or a 6x9).

They work fine, but AM only, so I had a new unit put under the ashtray. I'll have to look into what TJ Hoplalong was writing about.

Quote from: mirrione3 on November 27, 2017, 06:17:36 PM
This is what I have and am very happy with it.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_068R69N/RetroSound-R-69N.html

That speaker looks decent sand it will actually fit. The back, that is.  Pretty sure it won't fit the front of a non-stereo car, which I'm pretty sure is a 4x10, again, with NO extra clearances.

Quote from: WTL on November 28, 2017, 05:08:11 AM
Right now, I have 2 6.5 inch pioneer walmart specials in the passenger seat footwell, pointed facing down from underneath the dash.  I've wondered if quality 3.5s, with their more acoustically appropriate position, would be superior to larger speakers mounted feebly.  It's true that there doesn't seem to be a good option.  Can we stuff a slightly larger speaker in the stock dash location? 

NO, in most cases even a same sized speaker won't fit. I also have some 5 or 6" round speakers up under the dash pointing down and the carpeting soaks up almost all the sound!!! That hump mounted solution might be in order.

What I did was I left the original AM radio in place because it still works and I had the original speakers re-coned. But it's AM only. I had a modern single DIN sized unit (Kenwood AM-FM-CD-MP3disc-USB-Bluetooth-phone paired) put in an under dash mount that I had for some 30 years. I just screwed it to the bottom of the ashtray. Up front are the two speakers that get most of their sound absorbed by the carpeting. In the back a had two 6.5" put on the rear quarter interior panels. Yes I had to cut the panels, but so what, the vinyl already needed replacement. In the trunk is a 4 channel amp and a single channel amp (both Kicker) that power the 4 speakers and the 10" Kicker sub-woofer.

If I could get a reasonably priced hump mount, it would hold the head unit and two front speakers. and be an quick disconnect for shows. I would have to remove the Kicker sub-woofer from the trunk or put a big grey blanket on it.  :P But then again with other showy where "authenticity" is not a PITA of the first order of magnitude, the modern radio, amps and sub-woofer would be a plus  8)

Now I can actually hear it while cruising at interstate speeds with the top down.  ;)
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

2manycars

Check this guy out for speakers that will fit correctly. I've used his 67 Corvette speakers in cars I have worked on, and it is a very good speaker, with the correct electrical specs for that particular radio. (a CRUCIAL spec)

http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

cadillacmike68

Quote from: 2manycars on November 28, 2017, 06:31:15 PM
Check this guy out for speakers that will fit correctly. I've used his 67 Corvette speakers in cars I have worked on, and it is a very good speaker, with the correct electrical specs for that particular radio. (a CRUCIAL spec)

http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm

Will those 6x9s fit in the back grille of our non-stereo DeVille convertibles??

It looks like they are using some original metal frames on some of their offerings and either original or replacement alnico magnets.. I still say that if your magnets are good, a good local speak company can re-cone them.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

2manycars

I saw one that said it was made to fit into that rear seat grille in a convertible. GM used the same one in all convertibles that had that center grille setup.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

grantatx

Lots of good ideas in this thread! So what I'm going to try is:

2* 6 1/2 speakers in the kick panels - will attempt to fabricate a solution myself
Single dual voice coil 6*9 as suggested above for the rear well
2 * 10 inch sub woofers in the trunk

I'm ordering the components as we speak, will report back as I put it all together.

Thanks everyone for your input!

cadillacmike68

Two 10" sub-woofers in a Convertible trunk might take up too much trunk space. You need room for the amp(s) as well. That's giving up a lot of trunk space...
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

69Deville

The 6x9 fits perfectly without any modifications.

The 4x10 had to have the drivers side of the speakers basket turned off to clear the dashboard brace. Didn't affect sound quality.