News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'70 Deville - kick panel speakers

Started by grantatx, November 26, 2017, 11:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69Deville

Quote from: grantatx on November 28, 2017, 10:36:53 PM
Lots of good ideas in this thread! So what I'm going to try is:

2* 6 1/2 speakers in the kick panels - will attempt to fabricate a solution myself
Single dual voice coil 6*9 as suggested above for the rear well
2 * 10 inch sub woofers in the trunk

I'm ordering the components as we speak, will report back as I put it all together.

Thanks everyone for your input!

For two 10s, you'll want to install a capacitor for the amp. Also, sound deadener is a must.
1969 Cadillac Deville Convertible
1966 Cadillac Series 60 Fleetwood
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham-sold :(

grantatx

Quote from: mirrione3 on November 28, 2017, 11:56:19 PM
For two 10s, you'll want to install a capacitor for the amp. Also, sound deadener is a must.

OK, thanks, good to know. I've not used subs before - the advice is appreciated. Where would the sound deadener need to go?

grantatx

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on November 28, 2017, 11:41:31 PM
Two 10" sub-woofers in a Convertible trunk might take up too much trunk space. You need room for the amp(s) as well. That's giving up a lot of trunk space...

Yes, the box does take up quite a bit of room, but fits snugly and still leaves me room for my gear (jack, spare, tools, car cover etc etc). See pic. I bought the box on a whim as it was a great deal for Cyber Monday. if it's not going to work out I'll get something smaller.

TJ Hopland

I personally don't get the concept of smaller than 15" drivers as subs and having them in the trunk but that is a different discussion.   If that is your thing how about building a round box that would fit inside / on the spare tire?  That would be an advantage to an Eldo with the deep offset rim but even the RWD cars have some space to work with there.  It could be a hat shape if you wanted to get a little more cabinet volume which usually doesn't seem to be a concern in car audio.   If round was beyond your fabrication skills you could do a hex or octagon shape and still get a decent volume box.   It just seems like wasted space since most of the time they lay flat and you don't put stuff on top of them either.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

WTL

Can't wait to see custom kick panels, if they work.  I'm further incentivized to go that route if feasible because my car lacks a driver side panel already.

69Deville

I'd do the whole trunk in sound deadener otherwise it will rattle significantly.

What type/size amps and head unit are you using?
1969 Cadillac Deville Convertible
1966 Cadillac Series 60 Fleetwood
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham-sold :(

grantatx

Quote from: mirrione3 on November 29, 2017, 03:52:01 PM
I'd do the whole trunk in sound deadener otherwise it will rattle significantly.

What type/size amps and head unit are you using?

Amp is this:

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/xr900-5/

Head unit is this (marine unit for the remote):

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/marine/kmr-d765bt/

cadillacmike68

Quote from: grantatx on November 30, 2017, 03:07:07 PM
Amp is this:

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/xr900-5/

Head unit is this (marine unit for the remote):

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/marine/kmr-d765bt/

I got kicker a4 ch and a separate kicker 1 ch amp pair, but your kenwood radio / CD looks an awful lot like mine. It's essentially identical to my KDC BT565U, except yours is marine grade (probably a good thing) and you have a second USB cable in the rear. Mine came with a remote and a mic for the phone pairing.

My user manual has both our models in it. These units have a bewildering array of features / options.

That Kenwood amp has a powerful 1ch output, but the kickers have a lot of adjustments available on them to tune them to your own preferences.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

chrisntam

I too will be upgrading tunes for my '70.  I bought a pair of used kick panels so I can cut up, modify as needed.  I can always put my old ones back in when / if needed.  For the rear, my plan is 6 x 9s in boxes sitting on the back seat.  Will have quick disconnects to pull them out when need be.

After poking around in the kick panel area, their ain't much room between the panel and the e brake mech on the left side....

I thought about putting 6" speakers in enclosures and putting them up under the dash and have them point downward.

Still working on it (in my head).   ::)

It ain't easy unless yer a cutter.  I'm not a cutter.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

grantatx

Quote from: chrisntam on November 30, 2017, 09:56:43 PM
I too will be upgrading tunes for my '70.  I bought a pair of used kick panels so I can cut up, modify as needed.  I can always put my old ones back in when / if needed.  For the rear, my plan is 6 x 9s in boxes sitting on the back seat.  Will have quick disconnects to pull them out when need be.

After poking around in the kick panel area, their ain't much room between the panel and the e brake mech on the left side....

I thought about putting 6" speakers in enclosures and putting them up under the dash and have them point downward.

Still working on it (in my head).   ::)

It ain't easy unless yer a cutter.  I'm not a cutter.

Yup, that's exactly what I'm going to do, I have a pair of spare kick panels on their way to me from USA Parts Supply and intend to fit something like the following to them:

https://www.ebay.com/i/262029951455?chn=ps

Not exactly sure how I'm going to do that yet, but where there's a will there's a way.  I'll post results to the forum.

grantatx

OK, got the sound system install done. 6 1/2 Infinitys in the kick panels, a dual voice coil 6x9 in the rear convertible alcove and a JL Audio bass bin with two 10 inch drivers in the trunk. Kenwood 1000w amp provides the power, a Kenwood head unit is the source and everything's controlled with a marine-style remote. See attached the pics of the kick panel build. I'll post pics of the rest soon.