News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Air Breather cleaning - best way???

Started by MH69Coupe, November 27, 2017, 11:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MH69Coupe

What is the best way to clean the air intake breather???

What is inside that thing? I am planning to clean the breather, replace the valve and the gaskets (my gaskets on both sides are hardened and i see some very light oil leak on the valve cover sides/trim ...).

Can there be a different reason for the oil leak?

Thanks.

TJ Hopland

What year? 68-81?  I'm guessing 69?   Most of the time inside the breather is a sort of mesh material.   I have heard of people cleaning them with all the usual fluids such as kerosene/diesel, gasoline, acetone, and similar.  Replacements used to be pretty easy to find but must have gone out of production a while ago and 'we' have finally used up what was on the shelves. 

Get replacement bushing / gromits if you can for the valve covers.  At this age the are not likely sealing very well. 

Clean or replace your PCV valve assuming its got one.   If there is still an level ride compressor connected that doesn't work that could be reducing the draw for the PCV so cap that line if its not working. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

MH69Coupe

Yes mine is 69 deville.

I am planning to replace the valve and the elbow. Is there a specific part number for the air breather rubber grommet going into the valve cover?

cadillacmike68

When you guys find the grommet, please let me know. I need a couple.

I just soaked mine in parts cleaner once. It never needed it again.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

MH69Coupe

Checked with USA Parts Supply.

They confirmed part 1.745C in their catalog fits the grommet hole for the original air breather valve cover. Will be trying that soon.

1976Deville

Napa , Auto Zone, Pep Boy sell the Elbow grommet

MH69Coupe

Update...

I have tried few and the one almost similar to what i had was - Airtex 2P1005 (available at oriellys as BWD PCV271) fits perfect and so far no leaks. Can be used on both valve cover and air filter housing etc.

For a bit more snugly fit Dorman 42066 has almost same fit.

For elbow i used Dorman 47035. I got two with different inner whole sizes for the same part#. Seems there are few defective parts no correctly spec in the market. You need one with bigger inner whole and the correct grove where the valve slides into.