News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Need Help. How to distinguish 1966 Eldorado and DeVille front bumper assembly.

Started by tbailey, December 01, 2017, 11:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbailey

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a 1966 Eldorado, and it's only main issue is that it needs the front right and left lowers on the front bumper assembly.  I have done extensive research on trying to find an assembly to replace it, but all I am finding is DeVille front bumbers. 

My novice eyes and experience cannot seem to find any noticeable difference in their appearance.  If someone were to claim that they had a Eldorado front assembly from 1966, how would I be able to make sure they were not trying to sell me a DeVille. 

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Ty

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Bumper assemblies are interchangeable between all 1966 Cadillac models.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

tbailey

Thanks for the quick response.  Everyone I had asked before this forum said that they were different for an Eldorado, and my friends and I could not see a difference.  This would make my search for a front assembly so much easier. 

Thank you kind sir.

Ty

cadillacmike68

They might have it confused with 1967 & later ElDorados which have a vastly different bumper set.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Glen

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Eldo66

For 1966, the only difference among bumpers on various models was for the rear ones, and involved only the removable trim panel inserts.   The Fleetwood series models (including the Eldorado) had trim panel inserts with an egg-crate design, whereas all other models' trim panel inserts had a horizontal bar design. 

But as stated above, the front bumpers were the same on all of the 200,000 models produced.

Despite that volume (and durability) of the 1966 bumper components, I find it increasingly difficult and expensive to find original ones with no corrosion or structural damage.  Which I still prefer over rechromed ones.  So good luck in your search.

Regards,
P. Nesbitt
1966 Eldorado - Flamenco Red with bucket seats

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Correct about the rear bumper inserts however the main bumper sections are interchangeable among all regular production models.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute