News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1955 Exhaust clamps

Started by Bob Kielar, November 29, 2017, 01:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Kielar

Trying to put my exhaust system back to original. I looked at the authenticity manual and it states that the clamps are a round steel type with two bolts. I recently found out from a reputable source that they changed to the U type clamp on later models in 1955. How can I find out what is correct for my Cadillac it was built in August of 1955? The round clamps are kind of pricey but I don't want deductions when being judged.

Regards,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Hello Bob:

According to my Master Parts Book, the sheet metal clamp type is correct.
They are part number 9.0394.  They were used on all cars 1952 to 1956.  Therefore, your 1955 should have this type as well.  The "U Bolt" type are not correct.

These had either one or two bolts, depending on location used.  For example, on the mufflers and resonaters, the two bolt clamp.  On the front pipe heat shields, the one bolt clamp was used.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Bob Kielar

Mike thanks for the reply. Here is some interesting information brought to my attention. According to the master parts book after engine number 82499 they went to a U bolt clamp early production in 1955. Since my engine number is 128828 I believe I should use the U bolt type of clamp. I had the same type of dilemma with the resonators. GM must have wanted to use up there stock before changing over can't blame them makes our hobby more interesting.

Regards,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Hi Bob:

I must admit this is a confusing issue. 
I have the MPB right in front of me
and it seems that there as a period
when both types of clamps could have
been used.  Also, it depended on which
body style and which part(s) you were
attaching them to.

The mid model year change back and
forth to resonators also confuses the
issue -- there are several references
made "with resonators and without". 
A period of changeover, perhaps.

If you have the book, look at part(s)
numbers: 9.0383, 9.0394, 9.0395. 
The early cars (like mine, 21363,
December 1954) had the sheet metal
type, but if I interpret the book literally,
could also have had a few of the "U" bolt
type.  I went with the sheet metal type
(9.0394) all around.

My initial response was the sheet metal
type to you, since the line under Part 9.0394
stated "1952-1956", muffler tailpipe, exhaust
pipe".  Only when you get to the last line do
you see the notation 55-60s before engine
number 82499 do you see the change for the
exhaust pipe from rear of muffler.

Your car, most likely had the "U" type 100%,
being a "late" car but I'd read the Book carefully. 
Due to the info in the judging manual, I'd be
prepared to show some documentation.

Hope this helps,

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

J. Gomez

Sorry I had to cramp four pages into one and had to shrink and cut only the sections regarding this topic.  :(

The attach page is from the MPL March 1, 1955 Section 9 this section was revised on January 1956, the white exhaust section is for the 1957 models from the MPL January, 1959 that shows both 9.0383 and 9.0395 parts for the “U” bolt.

From what I can interpreter from the notes the “U” bolts 9.0383 and 9.0395 were used at the resonator ends on cars with them and at the muffler rear end on cars with no resonators, since it was a solid pipe from the rear of the muffler.  ???

The metal “clamps” 9.0394 were used on the front pipe to muffler and rear muffler to pipe on cars with resonators.  ???

But I could be reading the notes from right to left.  ;D

Now the interesting thing is the drawing for the 1955 shows the resonators clamps to be 9.0394 on both ends but the notes for these under 9.0394 do not indicate they were used for the resonators.   :o

J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Yes -- as I said it's clear as mud.................but thanks for your input.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
2011 Buick Lucerne CX

Bob Kielar

From what I can decipher with my cars engine number being 128828 and a Fleetwood 60S built in August it would have been all the U type clamps. Keep the input coming this is interesting.

Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar

Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood