News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

A 20 Something Person in 2017 drives a 1977 Eldorado

Started by STS05lg, November 29, 2017, 10:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Passmore

The epitome of an exaggerating buffoon.  Hard for us to imagine there are people testing cars that have never seen a floor dimmer switch. ???    When he proclaimed that the horn sounds obnoxious I had to switch the sound off. Does he prefer the squeaky response from modern horns?
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

64\/54Cadillacking

Funny how so surprised he was by everything. I can see why, especially if he has never owned a classic Cadillac. The guy is too young to know any better.

I don’t agree with the low ratings he gave the car tho, he’s comparing modern cars with a 70’s Cadillac. That’s really not a fair comparison.

Still it was nice to watch. I love seeing YouTube videos on old Cadillacs, and the reactions from the testers and reading all the comments below. :D
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

James Landi

Nils proved a link to a "Time Magazine" essay that takes aim at the 1958 automobile model year and beyond.  The article is worthy of one's time to read.  It's all there--- the American public insistence on "long and low," chrome and muscular engines, their lack of interest in padded dash boards, seat belts and safety features in general, and the "drip, drip, drip" of the little foreign imports into a market of similarly styled large American cars.  The young man may have been "over the top" in his entertaining reaction, but our vintage Cadillacs were the epitome of a by-gone age, and yet, they are extraordinarily attractive and well engineered-- points that the young man made in the video--- here's the link to the article Nils provided--
http://www.imperialclub.com/~imperialclub/Articles/58Time/index.htm    Happy day, James

Barry M Wheeler #2189

"Quirky" must have been the "word of the day" in the paper when he got up the morning of the "test." If he had bothered to do the slightest bit of research relative to those features he kept knocking, he would have easily found that Cadillac was usually the first to have them on their cars. I was a little miffed when the fender mounted lamps to indicate whether your bulbs were working came out because I had "thought" of that feature myself. Too bad I wasn't working for GM research at the time...

I took a fifty mile trip once as the middle passenger in a 1970 Fleetwood, and as he mentioned, it wasn't the most comfortable ride I ever had, as I had to watch when John Larch had to do something besides steer the car. But the steak at the Beef House was worth the ride, and the evening's entertainment (another fifteen miles or so) was dancing to the original Glen Miller orchestra. But generally, Cadillac was made to pick up two of your friends and your bride up front in supreme comfort and quiet enough that you could all speak to one another in a normal voice when chatting.

It was interesting to get a "cool" guy's take on what all of us seem to like so much about our cars. Mainly, I think, it is because for many of us (that drive "just average" Cadillacs and LaSalles), it is a chance for us to have a slight toehold into the utterly unreal world of the ultra-wealthy. I recently paid only $3400 for what was the most expensive American car of it's era. When I sit in it, I feel that I am once again, "Driving a Cadillac." The hunk of tin and plastic sitting out in front of my house, no matter what the badge says might as well be a Chevy. It handles well and is fun to drive, but it just doesn't quite "make it" compared to the cars we love and collect.

I was a little concerned at first that no warm air came out of the vents of the Seville But after five minutes or so, the car felt warm. It surrounds you with warmth, but doesn't blast hot air at you. But in the summer, you do get a blast of cool air when it feels so good. Now, how cool is that? (No pun intended.) And as far as your passenger getting to choose how hot or cold they'd like to be, I'd much rather the car be one temperature rather than have one vent push out cold air, and the one six inches (or less) away have hot air coming out of it like we put up with today. (When we complain about that, we get the answer, (Well, it's within "specs.")

Let the "cool cats" of today think what they might. I LIKE sitting on plush seats. And it's kinda' neat that they are RED, too.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

With all due respects, that type (the video) of "negative" comparison is indicative of ignorance, rather than anything else.  Rather than just comparing the differences between the Eldo and modern cars and the technological "advancements"  that allowed those changes the dialog was intended to ridicule "the past".
Pretty typical of someone who has lived a shallow and sheltered existence.
He'll learn.  Just wait until his kids (if he blesses the world with his progeny ) do the same to him.
My Grandfather had a saying about young and inexperienced folks who couldn't understand the past, and that was "They think they have discovered America"
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

e.mason

Looking at the video objectively, I think this video was very interesting.  It gave a good perspective of how a 40 year old Cadillac, appears to a young person of today.  While sarcastically pointed out some of the cars features, he was correct in showing what their purpose was.  I think he should do a sequel, with the addition of a Cadillac enthusiast.  The Cadillac person could point out how and why, some of the features existed, such as the front and rear filler panels.
Eric Mason

TJ Hopland

I ran across that when it first went up and brought it up here. 
http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=146507.msg370272#msg370272

Since I watched that one video his keep coming up on my 'recommended' list.  I have tried to watch a few others and have not yet made it trough a full one.  I can't quite figure out what his market is. 

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Chuck Swanson

He is a comedian and an auto blogger.   OP prolly should have set the context, but maybe didn't know, or was trying to bait some of you ;)  His other videos are similar.  He busts on other makes too (such as the 2007 Bentley Azure phone or it's 300K depreciation in 10 yrs), even though he knows the functions of the features and accessories.   It is part of the "act" :)  Different style of reviews vs the old Motor Trend for example, and his comedy may not appeal to all.  He definitely knows cars....he was the youngest exec ever at Porsche a while ago (He's 29).  He has also been on Jay Leno's garage as part of the "blindfold test". 
Here is another example of his comedy...you may find offensive if you work for a phone company...<joking> :)

http://dougdemuro.kinja.com/please-don-t-ever-leave-me-a-voicemail-1699766556

or another current auto review to compare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP6fdBHSdi0

Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

e.mason

Think about this.  How would a young guy in 1977, using humor and sarcasm, do a film critiquing a 1937 Cadillac?  What he has done is, in a somewhat humorous method, pointed out the differences and how things have improved, in the last 40 years.
Eric Mason

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

STS05lg

TJ Chuck Eric,

I stumbled across the video review last night and did not realize it had been the subject of discussion before. I did not realize the young man was a former Porsche executive and an friend of Mr. Leno. I was taken aback by the way he seemed to discover the "data" available to the driver from the lamp monitors, the climate control being on the left side of the steering wheel, and his comparison in size of a two door coupe to a modern Suburban.

And about the horn, it is not obnoxious, it is just different... However from my own experience: I live in a condo tower and I keep the Cadillacs in the condo garage. Upon more then one occasion owners with sport sedans (most commonly VW's and BMW's) are traveling though the garage at 20-30 MPH (speed limit 10) and I am driving in to the garage in the Talisman or the DeVille and I am not traveling at 20-30MPH and I sound the horn to let them know I cant get out of their way very quickly, I have 20 feet of car and approximately 6,000 pounds to move. I have on occasion had one of the 20 something owners put there window down and yell at me that I scared them to death with that locomotive horn in that old car and I need to be more considerate...

Again, guys sorry it had been discussed before but it was new to me and I thought it was really funny. Because these are the cars I drive.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

e.mason

Just a couple of comments.  Keep in mind, that to the guy making the video, this car is an antique.  He was only doing what everyone does, when they describe something i.e. rotary phone, 45 & 78 records, small screened black and white TV's.  For me, it was a reminder of just how much I have aged, since it seems like yesterday, I drove out of the Cadillac dealership with my brand new 1977 Cadillac Eldorado !  Of all the new Cadillacs I bought in the past.  This was one of the most comfortable and pleasurable to drive and ride in.

Had he did a little more research.  He might have made mention of the fact, that this behemoth was FWD.  While he made mention of the monitoring lights on the fenders.  He really didn't know what their purpose was.  Also he didn't mention there were also monitoring lights in the headline in the rear, to show that the rear tail lights were operating properly.

What I found most amusing, was how he thought the hood ornaments would be theft proof, because of the way they were mounted.  The fact is that they were on a spring to help lower the chance of physical harm, in the event of an accident. 

The horn that he found obnoxious, was in actuality a option.  It was the trumpet horn, and I always had them and loved them.  They are a real attention getter, when in the area of bad drivers.
Eric Mason

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I missed it the first time around, so I don't think it was a complete waste. I think it was interesting seeing what a "younger" person thought of our land yachts. But I do think his presentations might be helped with a little bit of research. Surely a guy that is "a friend of Jay's" has an intern floating around somewhere to do the "looking up" stuff for him if he's above doing that.

I forgot to comment on the hood ornaments. While I still worked at the mall, I think I went through at least four of those things. Once I even carefully nudged the (1986 Fleetwood FWD) up against a concrete lamp stanchion in the parking lot and some kid still got on the bumper and pulled it out. I always thought those "sweet young things" would get cold with all that metal bouncing around in their cleavage.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

e.mason

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on November 30, 2017, 03:01:17 PM
I missed it the first time around, so I don't think it was a complete waste. I think it was interesting seeing what a "younger" person thought of our land yachts. But I do think his presentations might be helped with a little bit of research. Surely a guy that is "a friend of Jay's" has an intern floating around somewhere to do the "looking up" stuff for him if he's above doing that.

I forgot to comment on the hood ornaments. While I still worked at the mall, I think I went through at least four of those things. Once I even carefully nudged the (1986 Fleetwood FWD) up against a concrete lamp stanchion in the parking lot and some kid still got on the bumper and pulled it out. I always thought those "sweet young things" would get cold with all that metal bouncing around in their cleavage.

I took the video to be more of an attempt at humor in comparing a 40 year old luxury car to todays cars.  I don't think it was supposed to be an "informational" video of a '77 Eldo.
Eric Mason

Caddyjack

He makes sport of the "four ashtrays" (each with it's own lighter, let me add). But, how many cars today have four power ports like that? ;)  Everyone can charge their phone or device.  :)
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

WTL

I found the review more amusing than offensive.  I'm younger, so to me I can see how this thing is an incomprehensible dinosaur to so many - and yet, that is why it is awesome.  My friends poke fun at features of my ride, but it's always in a backwards admiring way. 

cadillacmike68

He failed to realize that the hood ornament and fender points are lane control aids!
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

jdemerson

Quote from: WTL on November 30, 2017, 05:28:31 PM
I found the review more amusing than offensive.  I'm younger, so to me I can see how this thing is an incomprehensible dinosaur to so many - and yet, that is why it is awesome.  My friends poke fun at features of my ride, but it's always in a backwards admiring way.

Exactly right!  And imagine a young man in 1977 doing a review of a 1937 Cadillac Fleetwood...

John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn