News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

My DeVille power window just failed.

Started by slowpoke17, November 30, 2017, 03:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowpoke17

I took my 88 coupe to work for one last trip before the dreaded winter storage. After I gave the security guard my ID and tried to roll up the window I heard something break and the window dropped into the door. I can hear the motor spin but no action.  I recently had the roller guide replaced after I bought it, is it possible it was an inferior aftermarket part that broke again? Is it possible the regulator broke? I also noticed on eBay OEM regulators and roller guides. Am I better off buying NOS parts that are just as old as the car or some less expensive new after market part with possible inferior quality?

Thankfully it was mid fifties and driving home with the window down wasn't too bad. I haven't had a chance to remove the door panel and see what actually broke. This weekend I hope to get in there. Thanks in advance.
John Federico

1976Deville

I bought aftermarket roller from Pep Boys . I never had any problem

The Tassie Devil(le)

I turned up my own in my lathe as there is no Pep Boys down here.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

jaxops

Welcome to plastic-world.  Either the motor gear broke or the regulator.  Parts are cheap but labor is not to replace.  Some of these parts are pop-riveted instead of bolted so be prepared if you tackle it yourself.  Watch you arm and hands too- the door edges in the access area are very sharp.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I had to do both fronts on my '81 Seville and don't use the windows much on any of my cars any more than I have to since they are all at risk. And I guess use hasn't got much to do with it either, or with the care you give your cars at all. If they fracture, they simply fall down. Best of luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Glen

Is this window lift like the old 60’s era scissors mechanism or the newer cable lift? 

I had to replace the clamps on the windows for a 2002 Buick.  The plastic clamps are available online.     
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Glen on December 01, 2017, 11:55:03 PM
Is this window lift like the old 60’s era scissors mechanism or the newer cable lift? 

I had to replace the clamps on the windows for a 2002 Buick.  The plastic clamps are available online.   

My 1996 is a scissors lift. The thing that cracks is a little white channel guide that sits in the regulator channel and the motor arm is pressed into the center hole. It's quite contorted - under constant stress - so it eventually cracks and down she goes. Same with my 2000 ElDorado Convertible. That one broke while I was in afghan and my wife had to stuff a brick under it to keep the window up until I got back almost a year later.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

slowpoke17

Finally had a chance over the weekend to take my door panel off. I found what looks like a small rounded pin with what looks like a broken metal bracket on the bottom of the door. Thanks for tipping me in advance regarding the metal edges, I can see how you can get all nicked up going in there. I saw the white plastic guides for sale but there was no mention of the pin. As mine is all broken can someone tell me if this pin was part of the regulator or the guide? I'll keep trying to find a drawing of it in my service manual as well. Thanks.
John Federico