News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1960 Biarritz Steering Column

Started by Whit, November 30, 2017, 04:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

Trying to finish up the dash area of my '60 Biarritz. The steering column horn wiring is giving me fits. I think that I may be missing a wiring harness or something. When I ground the beige wire on the Reverse Safety switch the horns honk, as they should. I have no wiring from the beige wire terminal to the grounding bars (which honk the horn) on the steering wheel. I can't even see a pathway to run those wires. Does anyone have a diagram/photo that shows how the wires route to the horn 'bars'?

Thanks

David Greenburg

Whit:

Are you talking abut the wire that runs up through the center of the column, terminating in a brass button under the center cap? I believe there was a Self Starter article a while back about the horn and steering column wiring that would describe it.  If your SS library doesn’t go back that far, I can probably track it down.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Whit

David:   Thanks for the response...you have given me a clue...the brass button is missing, although I may have had it originally...I will look again. Does the brass button have to do with grounding the steering wheel horn 'bars' when pushed to honk the horn? I was unaware that a wire ran through the center of the column...must be the 'black' wire that grounds the horns when 'bars' pushed. That wire must connect with the beige wire from the horn relay.

I will look through my Self Starters to see if I have that article. Mine may not go back far enough though. Thanks for the clues...if you find that article, please let me know.

Thanks    Whit

Roger Zimmermann

Yes, the brass "button" is making th contact. It must however be isolated from the central tube, otherwise your horn will blow all the time. Have a look at the page 5-25 from the '59 shop manual; unfortunately, the wire between the horn wire terminal (your button) and the horn bushing is not illustrated.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Whit

Thanks Roger, that reference helps. I was able to dig out the wire that goes down the center tube of the steering column. Unfortunately it is shorted. I could pull the steering column, but I don't know where I would get the parts to fix it. The lower bushing that the horn contact rides on may be compromised...don't know. Even if that was fine, there is a short somewhere and I don't even know what the upper end looks like (where the brass button contacts something that connects to the arms of the steering wheel). I don't know where to go to get a photo of the upper end hardware.

Whit

Lexi

If this set up is like the '56, and your lower bushing that the horn contact rides on is "compromised" as you put it, then some members have restored theirs by using a section of 1 inch copper plumbing pipe to replace. Hope I am remembering that correctly. Anyhow, at the Mid Century Cadillac CLC Forum someone posted some nice shots of a 50s (1956?) steering column/tube assembly. I also believe the horn function was also discussed. Again, not sure if same as yours but even if not, some of it may help. I also seem to recall that removal of the steering wheel using a puller in the usual way may compromise or even break a tiny washer under the (upper area) brass contact button. As Roger said it must be isolated from the tube, hence the use of this insulator washer. I imagine if broke and contact is made, your your horn will not function properly. I believe the circuit will be 'closed' and your horn will blow non-stop. On the '56 this circular brass 'button' was maybe 1/2 inch in diameter, or less, with a slightly raised center portion, (think part with wire on it). Memory fails me, but it may even have been a brass washer with a rivet in the center that had the wire atached to it. underneath was a plastic or composition material washer to isolate it. Hope some of this helps. Clay/Lexi

David Greenburg

I don’t think the horn wiring/column arrangement changed much during this period, so the ‘56 info should apply.  The insulator is critical; the one on my ‘59 was bad, you would turn the wheel and the horn would blow.  But I will look for the article this evening. I think it discusses fixing the shorts.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

David Greenburg

Whit:

According to the Technical Index, the article I am thinking of was in June, 2005.  I'm pretty sure I have it, but issues that old are stored, and I won't be able to get to it until tomorrow.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

Glen

The June 05 article is on the horns themselves, not the wiring or steering column.  The one in July 2013 is much more detailed.  It has a lot of pictures. 
Walt’s Workbench has two articles on horns, all text, no pictures. 
http://rmrclc.com/waltsWorkBench.html

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Whit

Today I'm going to drop the column and see if the lower isolation bushing/contact is shorted. I could take the beige wire directly to the horn area if I could find the mechanism that lets the steering wheel turn while maintaining contact with the horn bars.

Thanks to all for the helpful input...I now understand the issues, now to figure out how to solve them.

Whit

Whit

Every day a learning experience. Found that the black horn wire that runs up the center of the steering column is not shorted when the ignition is on. It is only shorted when the ignition is off...I assume that is due to the horn relay. Shorting it to ground when the ignition is on honks the horn as it should!

I conclude that the lower end of the steering column is fine and the horn wire is good. Now, if I could only get a brass button and the upper hardware for the horn contact I would be home free. Does anyone out there know where I might find those parts? I do not think that they were on the car when I rescued it.

Whit