News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

paint

Started by lishka, December 02, 2017, 03:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lishka

restoring 1956 convertible need help finding emerald green metallic paint does anybody know who has it or can make it for me thank you for the help

J. Gomez

Quote from: lishka on December 02, 2017, 03:07:28 PM
restoring 1956 convertible need help finding emerald green metallic paint does anybody know who has it or can make it for me thank you for the help

You can order from TCP Global in San Diego, CA -> http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/

If you can find a place that can order paint they maybe able to math the old Dupont formula ???  check the paint chips from DuPont Historical Color Library -> http://historicalcolorlibrary.axaltacs.com/hcl/

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

G Pennington

My local PPG jobber was able to mix the correct Tunis Blue Metallic for my '53 convt.  Both single stage and BC/CC.  If you're looking for the original lacquer, sorry I can't help you.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

lishka

thank you were is your supplier maybe i can call them

Dan LeBlanc

Lishka . . . no need to make it more complicated than need be.  Just visit an autobody supply store with the Make, Year, and Paint Code and they should be able to mix it.  If not, they usually have a hotline to the manufacturer's tech department who has even more information on cross references and the like.

Shipping paints across country gets real expensive real quick because of dangerous goods requirement.

I'm not sure why folks make paint such a complicated issue.  If you're at a supply store and they won't make the phone call to technical to get the right formula if they don't have it, go to another one that will earn your business.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: lishka on December 02, 2017, 03:07:28 PM

Unless you're looking to change the original color to something not originally offered in 1956, there's no reason a competent paint shop can't mix the original color from code on the data plate.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

G Pennington

My supplier is English Color in Fort Worth, TX.  But any automotive paint store that carries PPG should be able to mix it.  Probably other brands too.
The bigger question is what type of paint to use.  Much has been written on this and other forums about painting classic cars.  I'm using PPG Omni basecoat and SPI Universal clearcoat, but there are lots of others. 
Also, if you are not going to paint it yourself, you should probably consult your painter.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)