News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Why no Self Starter for December?

Started by chrisntam, December 02, 2017, 09:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

What's the logic on this one?

Sure would like one 12 for year....

As a side note, I'm a consumer, not a contributor, so it's easy for me on my end....

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Very simply, "It's the way it's always been..." (Since 1958)

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

The Tassie Devil(le)

Think of it as a Vacation.

Both for the Editor and the Printer.   In the old days when everything was voluntary, sometimes a break was as good as a holiday.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Think of the Membership Directory as the "December" issue!  ;)
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

cadillacmike68

^^^ That's always how I considered it.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on December 03, 2017, 01:56:19 PM
Think of the Membership Directory as the "December" issue!  ;)
By the time one gets finished reading through the Directory, one will be ready for the January issue. ;)

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Art Director

This art director would have burned out years ago if there was a separate December issue. The editor and I welcome the break to recharge our batteries for the upcoming new year. Many other car clubs issue only four or six magazines a year, so the CLC printing 11 is a bonus!
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

BJM

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I am one of the very, very few members who can say, "Doing this is no picnic." I did one issue for Agnes Uhlir in Nov/Dec 1967. All I did was ask for members pictures and pasted them on sheets in year order. (Back then we only went from 1902-1942.) When I got through, I did NOT want to do it again.

So I don't really care how many issues the BCA has. I've been accepting eleven issues per year for fifty three years and have never felt "cheated" out of an issue.

(And being able to say I've been an "editor" of the S/S just once ranks right up with being President for four years.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Dan LeBlanc

I think with all the hard work that Tim, Steve, and everyone puts into the Self Starter every month, they deserve the break.  I'm happy to have 11 issues of an outstanding magazine to give them a break.  We all know they more than earned it.

I got my first LCOC magazine this month and it is nice, but it's just a notch below the S/S . . . and it's done bi-monthly!
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

tturley

We are lucky that we receive this first class publication at all. I have retired from a sports association with over 5 million members board of directors after 35 years. Years ago we had a monthly magazine and publish hundreds of thousands of rule books for each sport.
Because of the increasing cost of printing and postage we quite offering any printed publications, all are posted on line. The tremendous savings have allowed the association to do great things on other fronts.
Member # 28929
1940 Lasalle model 5019
2011 Escalade platinum Edition
1995 Ford F-150
2015 Buick Enclave

Maynard Krebs

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on December 05, 2017, 02:27:45 PM
I am one of the very, very few members who can say, "Doing this is no picnic." I did one issue for Agnes Uhlir in Nov/Dec 1967. All I did was ask for members pictures and pasted them on sheets in year order. (Back then we only went from 1902-1942.) When I got through, I did NOT want to do it again.

So I don't really care how many issues the BCA has. I've been accepting eleven issues per year for fifty three years and have never felt "cheated" out of an issue.

(And being able to say I've been an "editor" of the S/S just once ranks right up with being President for four years.)

I myself volunteered for the editor job in a club for a "Brand X" publication... that didn't have any deadlines, etc..   Yet it was a frustrating experience at the time.   I did it for two years... and as I was three months away from completing that second year, I made up my mind then.. that I would resign at the end of the second year.   I'm glad that I did it; I made a contribution to that club; but I never wanted to do it again, FWIW.   It's a thankless job, in reality.

BJM

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on December 05, 2017, 02:27:45 PM

I know.  11 is enough.  There is a discussion every year in the BCA over the $50 cost of the Buick Club.  I recommended they go down to 6 issues, every other month.  Lower dues, and the magazines might be better, make them bigger, more content, less months. 

bcroe

I think the magazine is fabulous quality, and the directory quality is far
beyond comparison to any other car org.  The break helps make all this
possible, lets complement, not complain.  I feel a little guilty at not being
able to contribute very much to the mag.  Bruce Roe

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Hey, write out a little story about how you found your car and send it in. You never know when Steve will need a few pages. You want to know what my first thing to appear in the S/S was? A stupid poem about 1941 Cadillacs. I re-read  it every two years or so. Ugh! Steve will take care of any grave errors you might make. And, over the years, we have found that the most popular stories are ones about "finding your car." (Brian, I'm talking to you now.)

Steve, or Tim. I've been wanting you guys (for years now) to dig out Norm Uhlir's "Two weeks behind the wheel," and reprint it. It was back before I joined. I read John McCardle's copy, or maybe it was Frank Tardy's that I borrowed. Look in the early Sixties and see if you can find it. Not only is it a good read, but it is also the only recorded instance of Norm Uhlir making a mistake relative to the CLC.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

gkhashem

Barry

As you mention reprints, why not reprint some of the more interesting articles if possible for members who do not have numerous old copies of the Self Starter.

I imagine the only issue may be the photos, but who care if the photos are a bit sub par as long as the read is good.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Dan LeBlanc

George . . . that may be an interesting section of the S/S.  I think you may be on to something.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Art Director

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on December 06, 2017, 02:10:34 PM
Steve, or Tim. I've been wanting you guys (for years now) to dig out Norm Uhlir's "Two weeks behind the wheel," and reprint it. It was back before I joined. I read John McCardle's copy, or maybe it was Frank Tardy's that I borrowed. Look in the early Sixties and see if you can find it. Not only is it a good read, but it is also the only recorded instance of Norm Uhlir making a mistake relative to the CLC.
Barry, this is the first I've learned about your request. The oldest issue I have is January 1964 (and you'll see the front page in the January 2018 issue). Do you happen to know which issue it might be in? I understand the CLC Museum has a complete set and can probably get the text to us.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I'll get in touch with Tim or Paul and see if they can locate a copy. (Or call Norm.) Jan '64. The cover was green and the car was a 1939 60S. "Five hundred miles today and still an hour till sunset..." My first issue, too.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville