News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Ty's 1937 Cadillac 8519 V-12 One of 87 built is now For Sale - SOLD

Started by Stinson, October 22, 2014, 02:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinson

Thank you Gary and Steve,
I just checked with my 1937 Cadillac and LaSalle Shop Manual and note that the discussion regarding "Wrap the groove with string when installing packings" refers to the V-8 engines. This V-12 uses a grease fitting so I need to locate it and try adding grease first, and hope this will stop the leak. Thanks you for your help.
Ty Stinson
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

Stinson

Okay, now that we are out of the teens and the snow is subsiding perhaps I will soon be able to get back to the car and make those adjustments. Then, I will attempt to get the ad into the magazine as you suggest Steve. Thank you.
Ty Stinson
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Stinson

Thanks Steve, the ad is now in the magazine as you suggested.
Ty
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Stinson

Hello, I would consider a Jeep or Land Rover (to pull behind my motorhome) in part toward the purchase of this '37 Cadillac.
Thank you,
Ty Stinson
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Stinson

Quote from: Stinson on February 21, 2015, 11:34:41 AM
Thank you Gary and Steve,
I just checked with my 1937 Cadillac and LaSalle Shop Manual and note that the discussion regarding "Wrap the groove with string when installing packings" refers to the V-8 engines. This V-12 uses a grease fitting so I need to locate it and try adding grease first, and hope this will stop the leak. Thanks you for your help.
Ty Stinson

Today I installed a new fan bearing ($265.00) and filled the water pump with NCLI #4 grease. Drove up to the gas station and filled the gas tank. Came back home and not a drop of antifreeze lost. Finally, I must have resolved the overheating issue all due to the water pump not having grease in it. Could have saved thousands of dollars on non needed items such as electric fans (removed) and a new radiator core (not needed) and numerous hours trying to find the problem.
Ty Stinson
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Steve Passmore

I'm sure just the grease in your water pump was not the sole issue Ty. A dry pump will squeak and leak water but if you kept the rad topped up it wouldn't overheat, the impeller is still spinning after all.    I think it was an accumulation of several different things and now you have cured them all. :)
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Stinson

Hello Steve, good to talk with you. Apparently I was always spilling water through the leaky water pump while under pressure and driving. After parking, the leak would occur until the pressure was released. When I first greased the water pump I had forgotten to screw the cap back onto the nipple fitting. When I started the car I checked for leaks and found that the new grease was forced out of the grease fitting and water started flowing while the car was running. I refilled the unit and placed the cap back on and made the trip to the gas station. When I got back and checked there was not a drop of water leaking anywhere. So, without grease the water was coming out of the end that extends by shaft to the generator. People would previously wave to me and say I was trailing a stream of water and perhaps this is what they saw. When the radiator water was lowered to a certain level the overheating always occurred but I had never related the leak. ?????
Ty
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Stinson

Wow, drove a few miles again today and not a drop of water leak. Keeping my fingers crossed that that was the issue.
Ty Stinson
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Stinson

Hello, just letting you know that the car has been sold for $75,000.
Thank you for all your information and help finding parts over the years.
Ty Stinson, Sr.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330