News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Ty's 1937 Fleetwood Cadillac V-12 For Sale - SOLD

Started by Stinson, December 03, 2017, 03:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinson

Hello, I'm offering my restored 1937 Fleetwood Cadillac Big Series 8519 V-12 For Sale.
If interested please review the attachments and contact me.
Thank you,
Ty Stinson, Sr.

FOR SALE

1937 V-12 Fleetwood Cadillac â€" 5P Touring Sedan 

One of the last 87 of this 8519 series built
   Last year of the V-12
   Only 478 V-12 engines built during 1937

We have installed a $342 modern fan bearing system within the original radiator fan hub, converted the generator $853 to an 6-volt 35 amp alternator within the original generator, rebuilt the water pump with a modern stainless steel compression bearing, a new copper radiator core, rebuilt and lined gas tank $594 with a new sensor, installed halogen headlight bulbs within original headlights, new $500 authentic windshield wiper sets, new $700 stainless steel/glass hood ornament, all new brake parts to including new gas lines and brake lines and new master cylinder, $2,000 new rubber parts everywhere, $700 new stainless steel exhaust pipes and mufflers, completely rebuilt engine, and $11,664 machine services to include stainless valve inserts, $785 to chrome plate dash and $900 headlight buckets, $6,500 for six new authentic Halibrand 1940's aluminum racing wheels with custom made hubs having authentic 1937 Cadillac logos and new tires and tubes, $2,000 new Zenith up-draft carburetors, window parts chromed and installed all new glass, new voltage regulator and coils, $1,110 custom made steel running boards with white magnetic mats, $2,060 for foundry made brass/nickel/chrome plated pieces for hood sides and catwalks, and $2,780 for 34 re-chromed pieces and side trim pieces, rebuilt clock, speedometer, and gauges, new tail light chrome pieces, $1,035 for sets of fog and stop lights, also a completely restored set of four additional original mounted wheels and two spare front hubs turned and ready for use, and a whole lot more for time/labor and painting the car.

Car Location: Annapolis, Maryland

Restoration costs $89,000. Being offered for $70,000.

Thank you for your interest in this car.   
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

Stinson

Yep, been a long adventure and ready to sell at a great $$$ loss.
Ty Stinson, Sr.
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Steve Passmore

Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Bobby B

Quote from: Steve Passmore on December 03, 2017, 03:41:33 PM
A sad day Ty. :(

Ty,
I wish you Luck. That car is Beautiful. Unfortunately, every time I sink more money into mine, it makes me sick. But I don't want to open up another can of worms here. I DON"T do it for the money, but of course, it's disheartening.
                                                                                   Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

59-in-pieces

Wasn't this car featured in another post associated with an auction of a house and its contents.
If so, sorry it didn't go then.
Have fun - with the enjoyment of the car and your efforts.
I too feel the money is secondary to the enjoyment my cars give me.
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Stinson

Hello and thank you for your comments.

The car did go to that auction (about three bidders - house, motorcycles, and car did not sell) and the bids reached $66,125.
The 15% auction fee prevented it from reaching my asking price of $70,000.

Ty Stinson
CLC22330

The Tassie Devil(le)

I realise that the Auction House has to make a living, but when one combines their commission from the buyer, and the seller, they are making too much money.

Oh, I also forgot to mention the cost of the people entering the facility, and having the ability to bid, even if they don't win anything.

Rant over.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Stinson

How would I go about offering this car for sale to a museum in the USA? Anyone know of such a contact listing?
Thank you,
Ty Stinson. Sr.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Ty, Museums don't "buy." They get cars donated to them for tax purposes. If you are interested, contact Tim Pawl or Paul Ayres in Detroit. (Our museum did purchase the 1912 Cadillac but it was offered to us at about half the value and was significantly of interest to us since it had the first self starter.) A museum paying "full price" for a car is simply not in the cards if that's what you had in mind.

We just got a '33 V-12 given to us and already have a 1937 model as well. The 1940 LaSalle convertible sedan was given to us by a museum in Canada gratis.

I would strongly advise you to replace those modern wheels with the original red ones since you have them. If nothing else, it would make the car look more "original" and break up some of the white. (That is part of your problem. White was not generally offered in that era as it did not hold up well in the paints available at that time.)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Stinson

Thank you Barry, I appreciate the information. As you know I do have the set of four mounted original wheels in red, and for the front wheels I also have complete sets of bearings and the extra two front hubs turned and ready to use. The current wheels on the car are 1940 racing wheels and I have installed custom hub plates having the original 1937 emblems. As for the paint, white was available in 1937 for a cost of $25 ($35?) dollars for several coats of lacquer. There is nothing changed on the car that cannot be turned back to original for the year. There are very few 1937 V-12's remaining due in part to the war effort years. I will continue to search for that interested buyer wanting this rare car for his collection.
Ty Stinson, Sr.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Stinson

FOR SALE - $70,000
1937 Cadillac V-12 Fleetwood 8519 Touring Sedan
The Cadillac V-12 was renamed the Series 80 and 85 in 1936. The Series 80 and 85 featured a 131" and 138" wheelbase respectively. All V-12s were now Fleetwood bodied and had Turret Tops. A total of 901 V-12s were sold in 1936.
In 1937 the Series 80 was dropped leaving only the long wheelbase Series 85. An 368 cid V12, 150 HP, three-speed manual transmission, four-wheel leaf springs, four-wheel drum brakes; wheelbase:138”. The only significant mechanical changes were the adoption of an oil-bath air cleaner and a pressure radiator cap. Sales were only 478. The Series 85 was discontinued at the end of 1937.
After surviving the Great Depression, General Motors Cadillac division refocused their designs from mid-priced automobiles and began focus on finely crafted luxury autos. Spearheading this development was designer, Owen Nacker. In 1930, his revolutionary V16 engine went into production. It featured several unique innovations including a 45-degree cylinder angle and overhead valve design that allowed for the engine to be more compact. The hydraulic valve system Nacker developed allowed for a more efficient engine performance and gave the car a nearly silent smooth ride. The new engine combined with Cadillac’s unique Fleetwood body proved a winning combination. The new chassis completely concealed the mechanicals and wires giving a more stylish look. With the success of the V16, Cadillac sought to reach a larger share of the luxury market with scaled down models which contained V8 and V12 engines. These cars were the Series 75 and Series 85, and they offered the similar amenities as the V16 model but at a reduced price. The V8 Series 75 utilized the standard V8 motor, however, the Series 85 featured the overhead valve V12. Both featured the Fleetwood body and were assembled on a 138” wheelbase. At a weight of 5,165 pounds, this five-passenger auto was offered for sale in several different configurations.

By 1937, Cadillac was still producing seven different series ranging in price from $1,000 to $9,000 featuring their standard V8, and Nacker’s V12 and V16 engines. At a time when the average family’s annual income was a mere $1,700 a year, the Series 85's selling price of $4,145 kept it far from the reach of the average consumer. In 1937, the average car cost $675, however, price did not stop Cadillac from selling cars and nearly doubling the previous year’s sales. Even with that success, it was the last year for the Series 85 and Cadillac's V12 368 cubic inch 150 horsepower engine and three-speed manual transmission.

A true example of luxury, this car features wood trim, dual side mounts, fold-down center armrest for the rear passengers, and dual outside mirrors. The exterior is painted a stylish white. The car’s interior is a light ivory-tan and is in very good condition and features detailed stitching on the door panels and armrests. In a time where all cars seem to look alike, this is a rare opportunity to own a vehicle that goes back to an age of sophistication and style; where sleek sloping steel gave way to fine fashioned wood assembled by people, not machines, and crafted with pride. Only 87 Series 8519 Sedans were produced making this one of the rarest Cadillacs to survive the post-Depression era. A multiple award winner. It is a time machine with only 2,300 actual miles following restoration. When you drive this car it will transport you back to the age of swing music, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and the height of the art deco movement. Painstakingly restored and maintained, this car is destined to increase in value. It is a chance to own a ready-to-drive car that could be shown at Classic events. The scarcity, quality of workmanship, and design make this a true piece of automotive history.
FOR SALE

1937 V-12 Fleetwood Cadillac â€" 5P Touring Sedan 

One of the last 87 of this 8519 series built
   Last year of the V-12
   Only 478 V-12 engines built during 1937

We have installed a $342 modern fan bearing system within the original radiator fan hub, converted the generator $853 to an 6-volt 35 amp alternator within the original generator, rebuilt the water pump with a modern stainless steel compression bearing, a new copper radiator core, rebuilt and lined gas tank $594 with a new sensor, installed halogen headlight bulbs within original headlights, new $500 authentic windshield wiper sets, new $700 stainless steel/glass hood ornament, all new brake parts to including new gas lines and brake lines and new master cylinder, $2,000 new rubber parts everywhere, $700 new stainless steel exhaust pipes and mufflers, completely rebuilt engine, and $11,664 machine services to include stainless valve inserts, $785 to chrome plate dash and $900 headlight buckets, $6,500 for six new authentic Halibrand 1940's aluminum racing wheels with custom made hubs having authentic 1937 Cadillac logos and new tires and tubes, $2,000 new Zenith up-draft carburetors, window parts chromed and installed all new glass, new voltage regulator and coils, $1,110 custom made steel running boards with white magnetic mats, $2,060 for foundry made brass/nickel/chrome plated pieces for hood sides and catwalks, and $2,780 for 34 re-chromed pieces and side trim pieces, rebuilt clock, speedometer, and gauges, new tail light chrome pieces, $1,035 for sets of fog and stop lights, also a completely restored set of four additional original mounted wheels and two spare front hubs turned and ready for use, and a whole lot more for time/labor and painting the car.

Car Location: Annapolis, Maryland

$70,000

Thank you for your interest in this car.             
FOR SALE

Ty Stinson
CLC22330

59-in-pieces

Ty,
Yours is truly a labor of love with an over the top attention to detail, and it shows it.
I hope you enjoyed the journey.
Extraordinary effort and car.
See my private message.

Have fun, while waiting for that special guy who will capture your passion.
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Stinson

Thank you Steve. I sent you a message.
Ty Stinson, Sr.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Stinson

It's still here, and if anyone would like to purchase it it can stay parked in my dry and safe garage 'till spring.
Thank you,

Ty Stinson
CLC 22330
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Stinson

Hello, just to let you know this car was sold for $75,000.
Thank you for sharing all your information and help finding parts over the years.
Ty Stinson, Sr.
Ty Stinson
CLC22330