News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Looking to purchase a 2014-2017 XTS

Started by cadman56, December 04, 2017, 06:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadman56

Hello all,
I am looking at purchasing a 2014 to 2017 XTS.  My poor memory seems to recall there have been several issues with these cars.  I would appreciate any comments and thanks in advance.
Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

Bill Ingler #7799

Larry; I have a 2013 XTS with only 44,000 miles. About 3 months ago the right headlight went bad and $496 later I had a new headlamp. Two months past and the left went bad. So almost $1000 for two headlamps. I noticed the front was bottoming out on certain breaks in the road. Said the struts were bad which resulted is about $ 1700. The last good Cadillac I owned was a 2006 DTS. I am done with new Cadillacs.   Bill

jdemerson

Quote from: Bill Ingler #7799 on December 04, 2017, 07:46:37 PM
Larry; I have a 2013 XTS with only 44,000 miles. About 3 months ago the right headlight went bad and $496 later I had a new headlamp. Two months past and the left went bad. So almost $1000 for two headlamps. I noticed the front was bottoming out on certain breaks in the road. Said the struts were bad which resulted is about $ 1700. The last good Cadillac I owned was a 2006 DTS. I am done with new Cadillacs.   Bill

It's very sad, but data from Consumer Reports would seem to bear out Bill's judgment here.

John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

chrisntam

I too like the look of the XTS, is/was considering getting one, I'll be following this thread.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

That's really a sad commentary on spending almost $3K in parts for a
four year old car.  The headlight issue seems to be SOP on most newer
cars.  There are no "bulbs" to replace anymore, the whole unit comes out,
is scrapped and you need a new one.

On my wife's '95 Seville with 78K miles, the struts were needing to be replaced
but after 20 years I didn't mind so much.  After 4 years that's pretty bad.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

64\/54Cadillacking

I have a 17 Impala which is based off the same platform of the XTS and so far the car has been excellent. I’ve already put 40,000 miles on it and nothing has gone wrong.

The suspension technology that’s used in the XTS is pretty expensive, I believe it has  magnetic ride control which very sophisticated so strut replacement is pricey.

In general, any luxury car that uses sophisticated tech especially in its suspension is a $$$ticking time bomb waiting to happen.

I would do a lot of research and look up reviews online to see what other owners have to say before making a decision.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

D.Smith

I had a 2007 DTS.    Great car until the Northstar started leaking oil.

I asked my Service Writer at my local Cadillac dealer how the new XTS was doing.   He said "Keep your DTS.  Every XTS that comes in for an oil change gets an hours worth of computer updates to fix glitches."   

When I asked about the small drips of oil on my garage floor from the DTS he said :"$5000 to pull the motor and replace every gasket that is or will be leaking soon.  Keep the car as-is until the smell of leaking burning oil bothers you then trade it in."       

I took his advice.   I traded it in.  For a Chrysler 300.    No more newer Cadillacs for me.  They are made for the new car buyer who trades them in every three years.    And with the prices they are now that leaves me out.     

It's too bad.   Many of us are old enough to remember when the best used car value was a just traded in 3 year old Cadillac.    They were so well built and reliable you could get several more trouble free years out of them.   

jdemerson

Quote from: 64CaddieLacky on December 05, 2017, 01:09:33 AM
I have a 17 Impala which is based off the same platform of the XTS and so far the car has been excellent. I’ve already put 40,000 miles on it and nothing has gone wrong.

The suspension technology that’s used in the XTS is pretty expensive, I believe it has  magnetic ride control which very sophisticated so strut replacement is pricey.

In general, any luxury car that uses sophisticated tech especially in its suspension is a $$$ticking time bomb waiting to happen.

I would do a lot of research and look up reviews online to see what other owners have to say before making a decision.

Mr. Asaro,
      You have made an interesting and accurate point. But even so, the 2018 Buying Guide published by Consumer Reports gives the overall rating (out of 100 points) for the Impala as 86 (best car in its class) and the Cadillac XTS as 63 points (16th car in its class). The predicted reliability of the Impala is above average, and for the XTS it is below average. Trouble sports for recent XTS models are suspension, power equipment, in-car electronics, and noises and leaks. Both models have quite good road test scores: 91 for the impala and 82 for the XTS. The prices of the two cars as tested differ by over $18,000.   Although the road test scores come from Consumer Reports tests in Connecticut, the rest of the comparison comes from thousands of owners surveyed. An interesting comparison...
      I've always liked the XTS. The CT6, a superb car with a very high road test score (95 points, best in class) still has a below average reliability rating.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Ask Bob Schumann. He had a new CT6. Had a new transmission put in, took a month, still not right. Finally, Cadilac was going to give him a new one. He thought and thought and just took his $ back. We had talked and I suggested the big Buick. He still took the money and ran. I don't know what his daily driver is now, but I suspect that it's not from GM.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Terry Wenger

Barry:

Bob Schuman got a 2018 GMC Acadia and is very happy with it. Another former CLC member traded his 2013 big Cadillac on a 2017 GMC Acadia Limited. He is also much happier with the Acadia. I also traded my '08 CTS on a 2017 Acadia Limited.( Notice GMC uses names rather than alphabet soup !)

We are very happy with the Acadia.For example, we can turn on the AC and heat with real switches, The Electronic systems are much easier to understand than the  Cadillac system.

What has happened to Cadillac. I'm glad I have some old ones that were really good cars!

Terry Wenger
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

wrefakis

I sell these all the time to guys who use them as taxi limo in new York city, they actually hold up well in light of the conditions and miles they are driven
also at around 26k for 17 luxury under warranty they are priced right

cadman56

Wow!  What happened?  I had an 88 Brougham 307 Olds sold at 204K.  I have a 91 Brougham dElegance w/198K that needs front seat upholstery to make it look new again. 
I guess I will go somewhere else.  A shame.
Thank you all,
Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

e.mason

Reading these comments, convinces me more and more that leasing is the way to go.  Just get in and out every 3 years with no worries about repair costs.  I remember many years ago, more years then I want to admit to.  A gentleman that had his own butcher shop.  Remember them?  Had a new '66 Fleetwood. As a young man I was mesmerized by it.  I used to engage him in conversation about the car.  I remember him saying that the main reason he bought it, was because you don't see many Cadillacs broken down on the side of the road.
Eric Mason

Bob Schuman

To add a litle to the comments by Barry Wheeler and Terry Wenger, my 2017 Cadillac CT6 would have been a much more pleasant car to drive than the 2014 XTS before it, except for a miserable transmission that sometimes shifted very smoothly, sometimes so violent that passengers commented they thought it had been rear ended by another vehicle. Repeated reprogramming and finally complete replacement with a new transmission gave only a brief period of smooth operation. When the Lemon Law criteria were met, GM was ready to buy back and replace the car with any new Cadillac of my choice, money depending on the sticker price of mine and a replacement car. While waiting for a new CT6 and daily reading the CT6 owners forum at Cadillac Owners.com I read of many CT6 owners equally unhappy with their jerky transmissions, seemingly unfixable. Not wanting to chance another unsatisfactory Cadillac eight speed transmission, with agreement of my dealer and GM, I chose a new 2018 GMC Acadia that still uses the GM six speed automatic, and it is a pleasure to drive it, and with controls that are much more user friendly than the recent Cadillacs.

My previous 2014 XTS was basically troublefree for the three years and 40000 miles I owned it, but did not ride like a big Cadillac should, possibly because of the Magnetic Ride Control and 20 inch tires.

I'm still sold on Cadillacs, a wonderful 41 I drove for 50000 mies, another 41, a 40 LaSalle, and my present 49 and 51 Cadillacs that all act like real Cadillacs. I'm just done with their recent and current offerings.
Bob Schuman

Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: Bob Schuman on December 05, 2017, 11:54:39 AM
To add a litle to the comments by Barry Wheeler and Terry Wenger, my 2017 Cadillac CT6 would have been a much more pleasant car to drive than the 2014 XTS before it, except for a miserable transmission that sometimes shifted very smoothly, sometimes so violent that passengers commented they thought it had been rear ended by another vehicle. Repeated reprogramming and finally complete replacement with a new transmission gave only a brief period of smooth operation. When the Lemon Law criteria were met, GM was ready to buy back and replace the car with any new Cadillac of my choice, money depending on the sticker price of mine and a replacement car. While waiting for a new CT6 and daily reading the CT6 owners forum at Cadillac Owners.com I read of many CT6 owners equally unhappy with their jerky transmissions, seemingly unfixable. Not wanting to chance another unsatisfactory Cadillac eight speed transmission, with agreement of my dealer and GM, I chose a new 2018 GMC Acadia that still uses the GM six speed automatic, and it is a pleasure to drive it, and with controls that are much more user friendly than the recent Cadillacs.

My previous 2014 XTS was basically troublefree for the three years and 40000 miles I owned it, but did not ride like a big Cadillac should, possibly because of the Magnetic Ride Control and 20 inch tires.

I'm still sold on Cadillacs, a wonderful 41 I drove for 50000 mies, another 41, a 40 LaSalle, and my present 49 and 51 Cadillacs that all act like real Cadillacs. I'm just done with their recent and current offerings.
Bob Schuman

What is mind boggling and unacceptable to me is how Cadillac has allowed such low standards creep  into its cars. I can’t believe they can’t even get a transmission built right when GM has been known throughout its history for designing and making great transmissions.

That is why with all these new 8-10 speed tranny’s being made in the market, the complexity of it all is bound to cause some problems.

I love the simplicity of TH400 which is built like a tank and very smooth and seem less  in operation. The 4L60E in my 94 Fleetwood is also another great reliable smooth shifting trans that is even smoother than in my Impala.

Sometimes the old stuff truly was better, stronger materials were used, less finicky electronics to go wrong and have to control every single thing inside the car.

Although I like my Impala a lot, it is extremely quiet inside and rides good for being a modern car, but nothing compares to driving and the total comfort you receive when you get behind the wheel of the full size of the past.

I don’t know why things have to change so much and so drastically in the automotive world when if Cadillac would have just stuck to the basics and their true heritage they probably would be in better shape right now. If you look at a Rolls Royce Phantom, that car still uses traditional luxury car styling, a drivetrain and wheelbase designed similar to a 70s Cadillac. It has the prestige and presence that is noticed by everyone, can’t say that about Cadillac anymore.

With their reliability problems creeping up, you wonder when will the brand take itself more seriously and hold themselves to a higher standard.

GM vehicles have gotten a lot better in the past 5 years, so hopefully this trend continues for Cad in the future.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental

oldcarguy

Well, I had a 2015 XTS and the only problem was the screen with all the info went bad and I was told that was a common issue. Replaced under warranty. But the car was low mileage when I traded for a 2017 XTS, so don't know what might have been in the future! So far the 2017 is doing really good. Again, it's low mileage...
The best of the bunch, which I happily drove around for several miles yesterday, is my '41 ''62'' . Gosh. so smooth and quiet and more than ample acceleration! Not to mention all the waves and thumbs up!!

Don Ford
Don Ford

1941 SERIES 6219D
2017 XTS
Others:
1949 Mercury coupe
1964 Pontiac LeMans
1959 Chevy Impala

cadillacmike68

XTS - bleh  :P  I finally got all RWDs and I'm not getting another FWD electronic money pit - with a 4 or 6 cyl to boot!
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

wrefakis

I have 3 2017 low mileage xts here, drive 05 town car with 331k after collecting Cadillac (70 and down) since 72 that kind of says it all

Janousek

We have a 14' XTS with 69k and it's a nice car.  Screen went out last month but Cadillac took care of it.  I guess it's common.  It rides a little firm if your used to the old way of Cadillacs.  I bought it as a clean title wreck last spring and the wife put 20k on it since june.  Screen going out is the only problem so far. 

Replaced a 12' Lacrosse that rode a lot softer but it wasn't AWD either.  It also was a hybrid 4 cylinder that I'd never own again.  Gets worse gas mileage than the XTS and it had no power.  That Buick was in the shop constantly for electrical stuff.   Wife put 40k on it in a year and it had problems. 

Great idea, they need more gadgets and technology to fail. 

My wife loves this car and I enjoy driving it also. 

64\/54Cadillacking

I think the problem with the XTS besides for its screen issues is because it is FWD, the suspension is very limited in its articulations. An old RWD Caddy is going to ride better and be softer because of the SLA suspension and much longer wheelbase.

111 inch wheelbase is pretty short for a so called “full size” luxury sedan and I honestly would have thought that Cadillac was going to extend the wheelbase on the XTS version of the Epilson II platform which the Impala and Lacrosse also come from. To differentiate itself they should have made the wheelbase longer to make the ride less choppy.

Atnough my impala rides nice it gets very choppy when going over some rough pavement. On the other hand, my 94 Fleetwood rides infinitely better even though it’s older but it’s simple and well known suspension setup offers a superior ride quality that no FWD Caddy can touch.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental