News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 Interior Paint Codes

Started by cappy102, December 05, 2017, 01:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cappy102

After trying many search terms and their permutations, I still cannot find the actual paint codes for the interior of my car. The authenticity Manual states that there are both light and dark tones used, and where they are used.

After ordering my build sheet from Allied Vaughan, my check was returned along with a somewhat illegible copy (of the build sheet) from microfiche. There are no interior paint codes mentioned as far as I can tell.

GM must have had some sort of plan when it came to matching the interior colors with the exterior, but after searching this forum and many other GM and Cadillac paint reference sites, I've only been able to get very general information. The interior paint chip charts published online are not always accurate because of monitor/display variations, and, not having a portable 'device' I wouldn't be able to match the car color to the screen anyway.

The only option left, as mentioned in another member's post, is to take in parts such as the glove compartment door, to a paint shop. This might be a more productive use of my time and I'm sure a correct match would be possible.

Still, I'm curious as to whether there is a chart that x-references exterior and interior paint codes.

Spank me if this is a redundant post...but please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
1957 Cadillac Coupe De Ville
1981 Moto Guzzi V50 Monza

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I obtained the info I gave you from the rear of an exterior paint chip chart. As far as I know, no one ever included a chip of the interior colors. The need was so slight that it would have been a needless expense to include all of those colors.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

cappy102

Thanks, Barry...

This must be why I'm having trouble finding the illusive cross-reference. It doesn't exist.

Someone has posted a chip card for 1957 interior colors:

http://images.tcpglobal.com/chips/1957-Cadillac-pg03.jpg?linkingParam=%7B%22_ga%22%3A%22GA1.2.153968925.1512432144%22%7D&_ga=2.35156322.293222024.1512432144-153968925.1512432144

but without it in hand, it's impossible to match the chips to the actual paint on my 57 CDV. And frankly, the colors represented on the above mentioned card just don't look right.

The good news is that there are a limited number of blues and I should be able to track these down.

If I come up with anything, I'll post the results.

mb

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Whoops, There must have been two of you. The post I "answered" was for a green. And that is a wonderful chart for interior colors. Usually, they are a few lines on the back of a "regular" chart. Since you're finding so "much" maybe you should attempt looking for the elusive "spring" colors for the 1941 Cadillac!

The reason that it may not look "right" to you is the natural fading of the chips. Good luck, you're proving to be a good researcher.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

J. Gomez

Mark,

Maybe this can be of help on your research from the old DuPont Historical Color Library â€" http://historicalcolorlibrary.axaltacs.com/hcl/

PS The site is very slow to load.

There are no paint chip for the interior colors for the 1957 just the color number are listed, maybe those can be match with other years exterior color codes.  ???

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Best option is to take a sample panel from the dash (ie: ash tray door etc) to the paint shop which should be able to create a suitable match.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

cappy102

Thanks, Barry...and I'll take that '41 any color, any day!!!

cappy102

And thanks to everyone else for your replies. I'll start a new thread when I get on track. Heck, I may even start putting together a cross-reference of my own.

mb

jfaurschou

I know this is an older post, but I'm looking for similar information. My '57 CDV has the same interior as yours (42) and I'm in need of some touch up paint for some areas around the steering column, instrument cluster, etc. From your pictures mine is the same interior as yours. Any luck that you can share in regards to finding this?
1957 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Kurt Kjelgaard

I know this is an old topic and probably not current anymore, but maybe this excerpt from the 1946-57 Master Parts List may help the original poster or someone else.
Kurt
Kurt Kjelgaard
1957 7533X Imperial Sedan
CLC #23671