News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

CADILLAC TIM'S BOOK?

Started by Kevin29972, January 29, 2018, 10:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin29972

I have a 1973 Coupe device with A/C trouble. I see a few post's referring to "Cadillac Tim's book" and reference to google "Cadillac Tim, Iva SC". I tried this with no luck. Does anyone have more info regarding this book and where to find it? I have am working with my ac to fix issues with the suction side from evaporator icing up,and low or no  blower speed. Cadillac Auto Temperature Control is a beauty, but only when working properly!! Lol.

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

35-709

Cadillac Tim's book is very good (I have one) and simplifies the troubleshooting ordeal but the '73 Cadillac Shop Manual is also a very detailed and complete reference source which IMO is a MUST HAVE.  Not only for the AC but for everything else about your car.  You will find many options at this link, from the (what I consider) overpriced, to the downright cheap!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050890.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H1.X%271973+Cadillac+Shoop+Manual.TRS0&_nkw=%271973+Cadillac+Shoop+Manual&_sacat=6000
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

chrisntam

Most times the shop manual has all you need, Tim's book comes from a different perspective.

I suggest both!

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

cadillacmike68

Tim's books do not go into the engineering behind each step like the shop manuals do. He boils it down to most direct and straightforward procedures.

For example he'll state "meter the green line with the car running and CC set to AUTO". "If you get 12V, part x is good, otherwise it's bad", etc.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillactim

My manuals cover the automatic control system (i.e. blower issues, temperature control issues, programmer, dash control, sensors, relays, etc). The basic ac system is not covered as it is basically the same as other GM models.

For basic ac system issues the shop manual is adequate. The advantage of my manual is really for the automatic control system, as it addresses real world problems and uses simple tools instead of the special tools the shop manual refers to.

If you need to contact me my number is 864-348-7732. Best time to reach me is afternoon.

Tim
Tim Groves

kkkaiser

highly recommend Tims book,, got me through a re do, and I know absolutely squat,, even. 

cadillacmike68

Quote from: kkkaiser on April 09, 2018, 09:54:24 PM
highly recommend Tims book,, got me through a re do, and I know absolutely squat,, even.

Heavens to mergutroid!
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

Tim has his books on fleabay (sorry, I like to refer to it as that even though I buy off the site) just search for Cadillac 65 (or any number between 64 and 70) and climate and you'll see the listing.

Here's the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-1965-1966-1967-1968-1969-1970-Cadillac-Climate-Control-Troubleshooting-Book/132575803625?hash=item1ede2238e9:g:FjkAAOSw9-tay~9B&vxp=mtr

I recommend the one for your car (67 and 68 are essentially identical so if you have both, just get the 68) if you have a 64-70.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Scot Minesinger

These are really good books, and I have worked on 1965, 66, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75, 76, 82, and 1992 Cadillac climate control systems.  Tim's books save a lot of time and are more straightforward.  Plus he rebuilds some of the components.  I have a 1965 power servo to send in for a rebuild.

The 65-68 are the easiest.  The 69 and 70 are difficult due to das unit removal and a few extra parts under dash.  The 64 is difficult I hear because climate control unit comes out thru top of dash only.  The 1971 thru 1976 are straightforward, except quality of wiring harnesses are poor and chasing down an electrical issue (usually at connector) is a pain.  The 65-66, 67-68 are similar but different.  I get a book for each year.  I think only the 69-70 are identical and handled with one book.  The FWD 67-70 are different than RWD of same year.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

metalblessing

I will add this to my list of things to pick up
1968 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Hearse/Ambulance Combination

Kevin29972

Thanks to everyone who has replied with advice on Tim's book, including a big thanks to Tim! I just now have hooked up with Cadillac Tim, and have ordered his book! it is on the way to me by mail and I can't wait to get a look at it. I already have the 1973 Cadillac shop manuals that are very extensively detailed on the climate control system, so I am confident Tim's book will complete my technical library! The A/C in my Coupe is working, still charged with R12, but I do have some issues I need to trouble shoot further to get the system to operate as intended when new. Sorry for the late reply, can't wait to get started, and your comments are always welcome!

Kevin

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

What kind of "issues" are you having?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Kevin29972

Hey, Greg,
My A/c climate control system is working now, but I suspect not 100%. The system was not working when I first got the car. It was blowing warm air only and the compressor would not come on. I dropped  the car at a Classic Cadillac car restoration garage local to me, but unfortunately they were not able to get it going and had tripped the super heat switch in the compressor that in turn melted the thermal fuse on the evaporator as designed. Apparently they were unaware of how to correctly add Freon after a leak test, and evacuating the system. They gave the car back to me, so I read the shop manual, got R 12 on eBay, and charged the system myself. I first installed the thermal fuse back leaving the lead to the super heat switch disconnected and the system is operating ok and cool. Obviously, I am in need of checking or testing/replacing the super heat switch, and I need to learn over all more about the system in general. The Blower is working, but it does not seem to change speeds or run on high when changing positions on the comfort control dial or lever. Overall, it does cool Down nicely but seems it could be colder at times. I have a set of gauges and a evac pump & tank although I am still learning and memorizing how A/C systems work! I am hoping Tim’s book will help me along with the shop manual to become highly educated on this system so as to get it working as intended when New. I welcome any advice you may have to help me understand and troubleshoot some of these problems as well as future typical problems that can occur.
Let me know what you think! Thanks. Kevin

Kevin