News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 dash pad removal ?

Started by rich neary, December 06, 2017, 11:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rich neary

Dash pad in my 57 w/air condition and no autotronic eye is in very good shape. However I'd like to remove dash pad to replace speedometer cable and straighten out some wiring and ac duct work.
Shop manual has basic instructions, does not address a/c details.
Any helpful hints to prevent me from messing up a good thing???
Thanks Rich
Rich Neary
Statesville, NC

1957 Series 60 Fleetwood
2013 CTS
1955 Jaguar XK140MC  FHC
1965 Deville Convertible
1998 Jaguar XK8 Coupe

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Rich, when I had my '57 convertible years ago, I found, luckily before I started tugging too hard, a screw on the bottom edge of the padding. Get under there and see if you can find it before you start pulling on it. It may have even been on the bottom edge of the speedometer housing. Be careful and good luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

60eldo

To get at your speedo cable,,,and I just did this. just take out the 4 screws that hold the speedometer,lower the stering wheel and gently pull it out a few inches, reach behind and undo the nut that holds the cable on. Once thats done you can pull out the cable and then the whole chrome dash will come out giving you lots of room to staighten wires,
Jon. Klu

V63

Removing the dash pad is NOT recommended for your goal. It’s a horrific job in 1957-8.

Remove the dash cluster and service from there.

The AC duct work ‘manifold’ is fixed onto underside of the dash pad is prone to warping and leaking.

rich neary

Thanks to all for the advice.
My intuition and your advice have pretty much discouraged me from rushing into the project.
Think I'll try gaining access by removing speedo/gauge housing and glove box. Will report back any success or failure.

Rich
Rich Neary
Statesville, NC

1957 Series 60 Fleetwood
2013 CTS
1955 Jaguar XK140MC  FHC
1965 Deville Convertible
1998 Jaguar XK8 Coupe