News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Lubricating front suspension

Started by LenInLA, December 07, 2017, 06:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LenInLA

Long time no post! But I’ve a question for the gurus. Perusing the handbook for my 1976 Eldorado, I read the recommendation to lubricate the front suspension every six month.  Who follows this recommendation? And is that a DYI job or really requires hoisting? Thanks! Leonard Grayver

chrisntam

Get you a grease gun and it's a DIY job.  A lift would make it easier, but a jack with jackstands will make the zerts accessible.  Hit everyone with grease until you see the grease seep out from the boot and then stop.

I do mine once every few years as it's not a daily driver.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

TMoore - NTCLC

Agree - buy a grease gun (cheap) and you can do this yourself.  Use a rag to clean off the zerk fittings, and then pump until you see grease seeping from the boots.  I do this every time I change the oil, so most of them only take one pump or less.  Once you identify all the fitting locations, it is easy - I usually do it after I pull the oil plug, and by the time I have hit all of the fittings, most of the oil has drained out of the pan.  Most of them will be under the car, but the upper ball joints are easier to get from above (usually).

76eldo

Len,

Go to a local service station or even a Cadillac dealer.
They offer a quick lube service that involves the greasing of the front suspension and an oil change.
For a car only driven occasionally once a year is sufficient.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Quote from: 76eldo on December 07, 2017, 11:13:38 AM
Go to a local service station

I would pay to see that. Years ago I went to a Firestone because I had a coupon for a free tire balance and rotation. The kid just stood there looking at it until I came over and pointed out he had to push the thumb button to open the door. (Yes, I had already pulled the skirts).
I'd bet most kids at those places wouldn't know how to use a grease gun-let alone wipe it off first.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

76eldo

You need to ask questions and qualify the place before trying to get this done.

From prior correspondence I get the feeling that Len is not likely to crawl under the car with a grease gun.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

LenInLA

Oh ye of litttle faith, Brian! :)

I’m actually trying to overcome my innate lack of technical abilities abs am starting to fiddle with the cars. Not much luck - purchased a set of window weather stripping and after perhaps 3 hours of work, realized it was beyond my meager abilities! I did change the battery all by myself though :)

Leonard Grayver

76eldo

Len, 

By the time you buy a good floor jack, jack stands, a grease gun and the grease cartridges and factor in your time and getting all greasy to do something you need to do once a year it just makes more sense to go somewhere and get it done.

If you do decide to do it yourself make sure you know where to place the stands to be safe.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

chrisntam

Quote from: LenInLA on December 08, 2017, 05:52:38 AM
Oh ye of litttle faith, Brian! :)

I’m actually trying to overcome my innate lack of technical abilities abs am starting to fiddle with the cars. Not much luck - purchased a set of window weather stripping and after perhaps 3 hours of work, realized it was beyond my meager abilities! I did change the battery all by myself though :)

Leonard Grayver

Get someone in the local Cadillac club to come to your home for an hour or two and you two can do this job together.  That's how we learn!

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas