News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 365 oil pump

Started by CadillacRob, December 07, 2017, 09:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacRob

If anyone can answer this I'll be truly impressed.  I'm having my 365 rebuilt at the machine shop finally.  A few months ago I took some things apart to inspect, and bagged and labeled every nut and bolt.

When I reassembled the oil pump onto the block so I could bring it to the shop in one piece, I noticed a small gap between the oil pump and the block where it mates up.  I should've taken a picture and forgot.  My guess is, this is where the pump feeds the oil to go upward to the various parts in the engine.  I'm concerned maybe I dropped or am missing something.  It almost looked like a little tube would be there.  Anyone have any pics of their oil pump installed specifically where it mates up to the block?  I know it's a long shot.  Thanks
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

CadillacRob

I googled photos of the pump.  The engine is at the shop now so I only have memory to compare.  I think there might be a tube that the distributor shaft slides down into to drive the gears.  I'll be up at the shop tomorrow and ask.  Sorry for a lack of info. 
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

M. Lipinski

Hi Rob - I rebuilt my oil pump this past summer and although I don't have pics of the pump installed in the block, maybe these pics will help. The oil pick up float isn't attached. The brass nut is where the tube for vacuum goes up into the block. Hope this helps.

CadillacRob

Those will be helpful, thanks! 8) :)
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

Roger Zimmermann

Maybe this picture will help. It's from my previous '56 sedan de Ville. The flange from the pump must contact the bearing cap; a paper gasket is also used, otherwise, you would loose oil pressure.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

LV 57 SEDAN DE VILLE

Is it possible that the oil pump drive is not seated into the distributor shaft?

CadillacRob

I had the distributor out when I installed the water pump and noticed it looked odd.  It could've been that.  But I went and told the guy at the machine shop about it today and showed the pictures provided - thanks.

He said it was all in the cleaning tank currently but that he'd keep his eye out and make sure it's correct.  Thanks all
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville