News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Shipping parts US -> Australia

Started by wbdeford, December 10, 2017, 12:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbdeford

I need to ship some parts from the US to Australia and am finding the prices to be absurdly expensive.  The best option so far is a large flat rate box for $90, but anything that won't fit in that is in the hundreds of dollars, even just for a few pounds.  I have read that sometimes people work together to fill an ocean container. 

Anyone know how to go about shipping these parts economically?

1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Our chief moderator lives in Tasmania so he should chime in soon about "how to do it."
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

wbdeford

Thanks, Barry.....I assume you mean Bruce.  Looking forward to reading his thoughts.

Basically, I am trying to ship a disassembled 1950 Hydra-Matic minus the parts I've already sold.  Reverse unit assembly with output shaft, pumps, front planet carrier and shaft, front band, speedo gear, valve body, and band adjusters are gone, but he wants everything else if we can find an affordable way.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1960 Coupe de Ville
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

Jeepers Creepers

Contact Phil at USAtoAUS and see what they can do for you. (Gold Coast based)

They shipped our car last year, so first hand experience and they do ship parts as well.
Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

Quentin Hall

Where are you and where are you sending the parts and what are the parts. ?
Us post is cheapest for small parts. Larger stuff I send to Longbeach and have sent to Brisbane via Peter Leahy Custom imports on the Gold Coast.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

wbdeford

Quote from: Quentin Hall on December 10, 2017, 02:50:54 PM
Where are you and where are you sending the parts and what are the parts. ?
Us post is cheapest for small parts. Larger stuff I send to Longbeach and have sent to Brisbane via Peter Leahy Custom imports on the Gold Coast.

Ohio.  Going to Sydney.  Parts are described a couple of comments up.  I can fit the smaller stuff in 2 USPS flat rate boxes for $90 each.  But that leaves, case, pans, torus cover, mainshaft/front sun gear still to be dealt with.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1960 Coupe de Ville
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

Quentin Hall

Gonna be expensive unless it can hitch a ride in a car coming over. Get the purchaser to contact John Cain who advertises in Unique cars or Just Parts.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

The Tassie Devil(le)

As you have found out, anything going out of USA to anywhere in the world has become really unaffordable in anything oversize since eBay got involved with USPS.   Now it is Air Mail, or containers.   Surface Parcel Postage, which I used to use all the time is no more.

Companies like UPS and DHL will carry large/heavy stuff but it too is expensive, and everything that goes through them has to be customs cleared, where the receiver has to pay the Duties.   This is also the case with USPS, but in the case of anything valued under $AU$900.00 is let in free, as they consider that the cost of collecting the "small" amount isn't cost effective.   The limit price also includes any internal costs within USA converted to AU Dollars.

Finding a fellow enthusiast that has a container that requires filling is the best way to bring in oversize stuff, but again, documentation will be required to allow the importation and clearance through Customs.   Cars are coming in all the time, but whatever you do, don't have any whiff of Asbestos in the package.

I, myself, am trying to find a cheap way to get some items to Europe, and at the moment, Australia Post is the cheapest method, but still dearer than the items themselves.   In a couple of places I tried, if the buyer wants them, it would be cheaper for me to get a return Airline ticket to Europe, and carry the parts as luggage, incurring a slight, but manageable excess baggage charge.   Or, for him to come out himself, have a vacation, then return home with the parts.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

NORTHPORTGUY

i have a good knowledge of exporting from us to all nations by sea.  there are freight forwarders called non vessel operating common carriers  that consolidate cargo in containers every week in major US ports to most destination ports.  if you can strap it to a pallet or crate it  (make sure to use suitable lumber) and have it trucked to the port cost is not too bad.   (I can help w domestic trucking too )   for example from elizabeth nj warehouse to sydney or melbourne US$200 per 1000 kilos or one cubic meter whichever is greater revenue   with a one ton minimum.    plus maybe 75 dollars in documentation fees.    if we shop around we might find less.  this excludes any tax or duty in Australia which I have found to be wildly high but that is a  government charge  not transportation   

i have a contact in Australia:
Mr. Stirling Wade
Development Manager
Transitainer Global
M: +61 411 333 756
P: +61 2 9522 0722
F: +61 2 9522 0077
E: swade@transitainer.com.au
W: www.transitainer.com.au      contact him about exports from OZ to anywhere mention me and I think you'll get at least a decent answer.      Let me know.

Ken Wiebke  23013 

wbdeford

Turns out, those large flat rate boxes rated for 70 lbs are only allowed 20 lbs internationally.  So, we got creative with the ebay Global Shipping Program with which domestic rules apply and with which I could use a larger box and up to 70 lbs.  Still very expensive, but cheaper than regular post office, UPS, or FedEx, even considering the extra fees ebay and Paypal got.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1960 Coupe de Ville
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

tozerco

I haven't used him for a while but had excellent service from a fellow named John Flemming in Sydney (Parramatta Road). Here is the advice that I received last time I used John (he packs them in either a car he is shipping or in the same container):

"If anyone wants to bring stuff in that's too difficult to post then give John Flemming in Sydney a call on 0400 295295.  He's quite happy to import parts or cars for anyone who wants them.

Parts or cars will need to be sent to Western Maritime Express in Long Beach and then John takes over from there.  Probably best to give John a call first though so he knows there's stuff coming, especially big stuff like cars which need the paperwork to be correct.  Parts need to be marked "Classic US Imports" for arrival at Western Maritime so they find their way to the right container."
John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

LiquidBlue

I know that in some internet communities, raising old posts are forbidden. I hope this is not the case, because I'm doing it for a reason. OP, did you find a good shipping company? I need one right now.  I need a company which will ship a car from the U.S. to Australia. Do you know where to find one? One of my friends told me that I can contact people from this a1autotransport.com company. I'm not sure about it, because I have not ordered a shipment yet and I don't know how to choose a shipping company. But as far as I see they have decent prices.

79 Eldorado

Jay,
One comment I wanted to make is Ken "NORTHPORTGUY" above mentions "make sure to use suitable lumber". I have experience with wood products shipping to Europe and not Australia but assuming the rules are similar he means that the wood needs to actually be certified. There is a special stamp which needs to be added. There are certain people who are licensed to do this. There is one person in my area who I have used a few times. He is reasonable so I suspect this type of service generally is. I wanted to comment because I thought some people might read what seemed like a subtle point and take it as ok shipping can be tough so you need to build something strong enough to take some abuse...and it's more than that.

I personally think it makes sense in a lot of cases to add to old threads. This forum automatically warns you that it's old. I like it because if you are someone looking for information on a topic you don't need to jump all over the place. They seem to let us use our own judgement here. If I start a new thread which is closely related but not a perfect continuation I try to add a link/URL to the similar thread as it may help others in the future. Anyway.....

Welcome to the forum,
Scott

novetti

Contact MAINFREIGHT

They brought a whole Jukebox for me sitting in a Heat Treated Pallet 6 years ago for 400 USD. They have they own containers consolidated there/broke apart here.

Very important to try get the parts as clean as possible, a HT pallet with a stamp (otherwise Bio security here will get money from you).

USA to AUS as mentioned above is also good to deal with.

Good luck

54' Iris Blue (Preservation)
54' Cabot Gray (Restoration)
58' Lincoln Continental Convertible (Restoration)
58' Ford Skyliner (Preservation)

The Tassie Devil(le)

BUT.... make sure there is no Asbestos in the car, anywhere, because the Quarantine in Australia will check, and they know what parts carry Asbestos.

Exhaust Gaskets, Head Gaskets, Insulation, Brake linings, underfelt, Clutch linings, and most everywhere else.

Plus, The A/C gas has to be removed.   Not just emptied out, but certified by a licensed shop.   Even the compliant R134a.   (All new fully-assembled and imported vehicles come in empty and charged when they arrive.

Plus, totally clean, including no bugs in the Radiator core gaps, A/C Condenser, or cowl vents, etc, etc..

I imported a car and there was another car from another shipment sitting next to mine, and they held it up, even though the A/C Compressor was missing, as there was no certificate of correct removal..

They even made me empty out the windscreen washer bottle, as the fluid was blue, and they had no way of immediately identifying it.   They even queried the green coolant in the Radiator.   Not many car-orientated people there, but they have to obey the rules.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

yachtflame

If sending a box of parts to Australia, be sure the declared value with the shipping cost is under $1000. I valued the parts at $900, the shipping was $175. Receiver got hit with almost double in import taxes cuz it was over the $1000 limit, plus took an additional two weeks at their customs office.
Wayne Elsworth
CLC #17075

The Tassie Devil(le)

What you have to remember that the value is the listed value, plus postage, and then that amount is converted to Australian Dollars.

This would mean that a $900.00 part/s, plus $175.00 postage from USA would be US$1,075.00.   Convert that to Australian Dollars, and at the moment, it would amount to AU$1,700.00.

When I transported my own car, boat and another car and lots of parts, the Aussie Dollar was on parity when I arrived in USA, and when the Container was shipped, the Aussie Dollar would buy US$0.75, and when the container arrived, the Aussie Dollar would buy US$0.64.   Plus, add the nearly US$8,000.00 to ship the container, and it was a 40 footer, the extras went climbing.   Yes, it was at the start of the GFC.

Plus, if you look like you have tried to undervalue, and you get caught, you could lose the lot, and end up in Court.   Happened to a few people.   I know of 2 Lincolns and a Corvette that got seized.   The Customs people even contacted the sellers in USA and under caution, they had to reveal the real prices paid, or they would have been in the deep do do.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe